1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else notice ????

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bobman, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    Has anyone else noticed that there have been 6 updates for the HR20 and none for the R-15 since September ???? I dont consider this fix file system an update as its for only the 500 model and none of the others and it really adds nothing.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Most of their software engineers must be working on the HR20.

3. mikewolf13

mikewolf13 Icon

Jan 30, 2006

Why should they??? It works perfectly.

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I'll say it again, over here.. .what I said over in the HR20 forum.

The HR20 is 8 weeks old.... It has some critical things that are being addressed by THAT team.

The R15 is going on a year, and overall is pretty stable... yes, problems do exist. The have a fairly large update in testing...

And given the volume of R15's installed (none of you would believe me if I told you the number), they don't have much room for error with the next software release... So they are making sure it is the quality they expect.

Don't expect the HR20 to continue to have weekly builds much longer.
    Just like the R15, which had a flurry of releases in it's early months... the HR20 is just in that phase right now.

5. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    I think what Earl is referring to is called the standard software lifecycle. When a system comes out, you're going to get frequent updates - to address the fires that invariably crop up (I don't care how well-designed and tested a system is, you're gonna spend your first couple weeks/months putting out fires). Part of it is the fact that the system is being widely used for the first time, and users can really put a system through its paces - stuff that testers would never have dreamed of testing. Also, developers will be closely monitoring a system once it gets rolled out - they anticipate problems, and so are ready to spring on them.

Once a system gets more stable, the focus invariably shifts. You go from putting out fires to doing more serious modifications, and upgrading functionality. When you're in fire-putout mode, you're going to get updates out quickly, to get the system stable. When you're in upgrade mode your software releases tend to get less frequent, but larger. Sounds like this is exactly what's happening with the R15 and the HR20.

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Couldn't have said it any better....

7. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Is the R15 considered stable?

I must have been confused by the lock ups, freezes, and blank screens.

8. mikewolf13

mikewolf13 Icon

Jan 30, 2006
    "Completely Debugged" Chase Carey 5/2006:D

9. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    Considering I've had none of those... yeah, I do. And it's a matter of degree. No system is ever 100% stable. My old tivo used to freeze all the time - sometimes daily. I've only had my R15s for about 4 months, so I have no experience with many of the early problems that folks on here have talked about. Based on what I've read, though, compared to how the system was a year ago, it's the model of stability. Yeah, it still has bugs. I occasionally hit the frozen time bar. Once I had it lock up on a search. And I once got it into a somewhat funky state when I tried to kill a show - I added an hour to the end. I wanted to stop recording between the time the show was scheduled to end, and the end of the buffered time. The system was still usable, but it did something funky every time I got to the end of a show and it prompted me to delete. I've never hit a debilitating bug (the closest was the lock up on the search). So, yeah, I consider it to be pretty stable.

The rest of the issues I see center around the functionality - things I would like to see. They're not bugs, and they don't affect the stability of the system (limits, dual buffers, that kind of thing). I'm not trying to discount the problems that some people are having (I don't doubt that people have them), but by and large, I think the system is pretty stable.

10. Larry Daughtrey

Larry Daughtrey AllStar

Feb 14, 2006
    "it's the model of stability"
    Yeah okay, I'll be nice and wont say it... GRRRRRRRRRRR

11. MercurialIN

MercurialIN Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2006
    Isn't that what they said about the Edsel? And the Titanic?:confused:

12. irmolars

irmolars AllStar

Mar 12, 2006
    Exactly!!!!!:nono:

13. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005

I don't consider almost daily resets, lockups and blank screens "stable". There is enough people with the exact same problems that I would hardly lump the R15 into the"stable" category.

I have a 300 model, and per Earls other post, I already have the file system "stability" fixes the 500's are getting now. The fact that my problems are still there after these "fixes" is cause for concern.

14. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    JPL, you can come to my house and be in charge of the daily resets and recepient of dirty looks from wife and child.

15. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    No they said the Titanic was unsinkable not stable. Big difference there. Edsel well to be honest I have no idea what they said about it.

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Generally, just that it was the ugliest car ever designed. It wasn't a lemon, but it was sucking on a lemon:lol:

Carl

17. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Thats funny.

18. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
    Also remember................Noah's Ark was built by amateurs..........The Titanic was built by professionals.

19. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    Like I said, I don't discount the problems people have been happening. I'm sorry you're going through that. Doesn't change what I laid out, though. RELATIVE to how it was when it first came out the R15 is MORE stable than it was (from my understanding). No system is every fully stable. EVERY system has issues - particularly something as complex as a DVR (yes, it is a complex piece of s/w). And it's not a matter of what one particular person thinks (I could buy a car that has a reputation for reliability and still get a lemon), it's what DTV thinks. If THEY believe the system is stable, they're going to not do these one-off fixes. Individuals may disagree - that's fine. And like I said - I'm sorry people are having these problems. People can jump on me all they want, it won't change anything, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead.

One final point, I'm betting, based partly on what Earl said, that there's ALOT of these units out there. At some point DTV is going to make a calculation - no matter what they do they won't satisfy every single customer, but they'll hit a point where they'll decide, overall, based on how the system is performing throughout their customer base, that it's pretty stable.

20. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    My point was I don't thing the R15 is at the point where I would even remotely consider it stable. The issues people are having are basically the same, that being lockups, frozen screens, etc, forcing a reset. There are enough people posting, with the exact same problems, that I would say there is a problem.

I have seen many a person on this forum who have had NO problems, telling others how wonderful their R15 is, only to, a few weeks later, start posting about lockups, black screens, resets and class action lawsuits.

Just because you are OK now, does not mean you will be OK in a few weeks.

Mine was fine for about a month and then the daily resets started.

I prefer the R15 interface, however, under no circumstances should I have to live with resetting a DVR daily. There is nothing revolutionary about the R15 that would excuse the poor performance. It's got a nice UI, but it is not breaking brand new ground where these issue can be excused.

Directv seems to be flying by the seat of their pants, ie releasing the R15 in the shape it was in and then releasing the HR20 without OTA (apologize all you want but there is no excuse for OTA not to be ready upon release, especially when it is the ONLY option for many customers).

Between this product and HD-Lite, Directv is in danger of going extinct in my house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.