Anyone else noticing worse pixellation on 129?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by dbconsultant, Dec 29, 2008.

1. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Just in the last month, we've started seeing really bad pixellation and, almost daily, we'll tune to a station and will get the "cannot find satellite" screen. Of course they're all on 129 so, before I call Dish to send someone out, I thought I'd check to see if anyone else in my area (SoCal) has been seeing the same thing.

When we get the "cannot find satellite" screen, sometimes we can just bring up the guide and click on that station again and then it comes in.

We checked the connections and they seem to be fine. We've had rain here so my husband thinks that might be causing it but we've had rain before without a problem. Plus it's been dry for a few days and is still happening.

We have a separate 500 dish for bringing in 129 and are on software version 6.14.

Thanks!

2. Todd Nicholson

Todd Nicholson AllStar

Jan 7, 2007
    I haven't noticed anything out of the oridinary. Just the same lost signal periodically due to the wobbling satellite.

3. elbodude

elbodude Legend

Jul 13, 2006
    Yep. Everytime I tune to TBS-HD, I get "searching for Sat 129" screen. This started about six months ago. The picture does eventually come on.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    By any chance are you using any diplexers to run a back-feed to another SD TV in another room on the same line?

I ask this because... I was having problems a while back with increased pixelation from the 129 channels and was really getting perplexed because sometimes my signal level was even good and it was breaking up.

On a lark, I took out all my backfeed diplexers and stuff and my problem went away! I never followed up to figure out which diplexer had went bad... but clearly one of them had, and since I wasn't actively using the other TV on the backfeed anymore I just left it alone.

I figure it's worth mentioning in case it relates to your installation.

5. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    No issues here.

6. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    dbsconsultant,
    I am just south of you, in Carlsbad, and if it helps, I haven't seen any issues. Almost all the football games have been on 129, and I would have noticed it. Cabling or maybe alignment issue?

7. grog

grog Godfather

Jul 2, 2007
    Another thing to try..

If you are using a DP44 or similar the DP44 power inserter might need to be power cycled.

8. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    That's probably about how long it's been going on - sort of on and off.

That will be pretty easy to test if what I have is a diplexer. There is a 'thing' that sits in our family room that is plugged into the wall. The 622's cable out to a second tv connects runs under the house and then connects with this 'thing' (I'm not sure if that is a diplexer). The lines from this 'thing then connect to 3 other tv's in the house. If you unplug the 'thing', then there is no signal to other tv's in the house, so I will try that. Do you think this is a 'diplexer'?

I haven't seen any problem with the football games (thank heavens!); it seems to mostly be happening on TLC, Discovery, HistoryHD, EncoreHD and MGMHD.

I thought maybe mice had been getting to the cable but I would think if that was the case we'd see it on all the stations related to that cable.

I'm also thinking alignment so we may need to get a Dish dude out here to check the alignment. My husband offered to "hit it a bit with a stick" to which I replied, "In which direction?" He got my point and put away the stick. :lol:

Nope, don't have a power inserter.

Thanks, everyone, for all of your suggestions and replies. That's why I always come here first to get some helpful information and knowledge!

9. AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie Icon

Jul 27, 2004
    I have a 3 dish setup ~ one twin pointed at the 110°/119° locations, one dual at 129°, and the other dual at 61.5°. This is because I was an early subscriber to the VOOM channels which back then were only available at the 61.5° location. I don’t know how the 622 decides which bird to use under this dual signal source availability situation, but almost every time that I check it on a particular channel; it’s using the 61.5° bird instead of 129°. I very rarely see pixilation issues with my setup.

10. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    That's interesting, I didn't know we could even receive 61.5°!

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    At just under 20 degrees above the eastern horizon, it isn't very popular.

12. AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie Icon

Jul 27, 2004
    The 61.5° bird is very low on the eastern horizon from SoCal. Because of its offset arm arrangement that dish appears to be looking at the ground, but of course it’s really not, and fortunately I have no obstacle issues so it works just fine me.

13. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That sounds like a "traditional" home distribution setup... with dedicated lines running to those TVs. In my case I was sharing the coax for both SAT and the cable backfeed from the receiver, and something in that chain died.

If I understand you correctly, you aren't using diplexers to backfeed on the same coax as the SAT info comes... so you should be alright in that regard.

Aside from checking other cable connections, possible power inserter problems (or switch problems), and checking for tree/bush growth in the line-of-site... I'm mostly out of easy ideas.

It would be worth unplugging the receiver and the power inserter to let the switch reset too, then plugging back up and seeing if that makes any difference.

14. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    You're right - "thing" not a diplexer because we're not backfeeding anything. No trees, etc.

I ran a checkswitch when the problem was occurring over the weekend. Sitting here watching the "cannot find satellite" message, ran checkswitch and it said reception was fine but once it was done and downloaded guide info and all and returned to tv - still getting the same message. Sometimes the channel comes back on when letting it sit on that screen, sometimes going to guide and clicking on the channel brings it back, this morning, saw the problem while it was recording a movie from EncoreHD (tried clicking on the channel to see if the channel was coming in and got the message screen) but went to the recording itself once it was done and it was fine.:scratch:

I guess I could try disconnecting the cable into the receiver, running a checkswitch, then re-connecting it and running checkswitch again. I think this is what you were suggesting. I'll try it once I'm finished working for the day. I just hate touching the cables - I'm afraid I'll bump the HDMI and break it! Keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks for all the help!

15. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You're welcome (even if the help hasn't helped yet!)

The reason, if you didn't know, for the recommendation of unplugging the cable from the receiver and also unplugging the power inserter is to ensure that the Dish switch(es) get reset as well. IF something is "sticking" (for lack of a better term) on the switch, then resetting just the receiver won't fix it... but getting all power out of those switches (disconnecting the receiver and the power inserter) will enable those to power down too... then maybe the receiver reset and check switch will set things right.

Outside of that, I'm not sure myself what else to try that doesn't involve replacing other equipment OR re-aligning the dish.

16. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Thanks, HDMe, that makes sense! I will try that as soon as there is nothing taping and I'm home but not working!

17. cs550ds

cs550ds Mentor

Apr 27, 2006
    I also have a problem with TBS-HD. The signal at times just drops out. When that happens. I check other channels on 129 and they are always fine. I did notice that TBS-HD has a lower signal then most. I hope when the new bird is setup it will solve this.

18. dougmcbride

dougmcbride AllStar

Apr 17, 2005
    In a few days we'll have the new 129 Sat operational and that might make a difference.