1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever use bundled Belden Cable?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Grentz, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I am looking at an install where I will need to run 5 coax cables to the satellite dish (4 for slimline, 1 for XM). I was doing some looking and found that Belden cable makes a 5 in 1 cable...the 7712A.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/shopbycable/7712A.htm

I know it would be a bit of a PITA to run since it is so thick, but would it work for satellite? Seems like it would as it says it is the same as the 1694A which is the RG6 satellite cable many use correct?

Mainly just curious, probably wont end up using it as it looks very expensive.

2. sswheeler

sswheeler Legend

Aug 27, 2008
    I would have to say no. The bundle seems to be for RGB connections and I would almost bet that your couldn't put any other connector on it besides BNC. The inner maybe RG6, but it seems to have a slim jacket.

3. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    I 've used the bundled Belden coax in RG-6, RG-59 and mini-59 configurations. Some 4 coax and some 5 coax bundles. Exact same coax as 1694a RG-6, 1505a RG-59, and 1855a miniRG-59 cables. Great cable ie swept tested to 5 GHz. Bundles are color coded with red green blue white and yellow cables.
    I've also made some "bundled" cables with the above single coax's up to 5 in 2" shrink wrap and compressed. Made up to 100' of cable. Boy what a pain. Homemade was smaller diameter but EXTREMELY stiff. Bundles by belden fairly flexible but VERY thick. Outer diameter of 5 bundled RG-6 is nearly 1 inch.
    Very expensive. I used a 4 bundle RG-6 for my portable tailgate dish. Easy to carry and thus worth it but can't think of many other applications that i use it for.

Doctor j

4. doctor j

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.

just 4 or 5 coax strands in a rubber outer liner.
    Can put any connector on it you want via standard compression tools.
    I've used f connectors, rt angle f connectors and rca connectors.

Doctor j

5. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I'm glad you mentioned this, can you recommend some good right angle compression f connectors?
    thanks.

6. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Thanks for the info doctor j. Probably too expensive for my application, but interesting to know about none the less.

7. doctor j

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=414

These are available
    Techtool is a good company for install supplies.
    Probably need a new compression tool.
    Only more "pro" style tools will allow BNC, Rt angle or RCA connectors.

Doctor j

8. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Even though it is not QS, you will probably need to use QS fittings as the cable is larger than regular cable.

9. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    thanks, I created another thread after asking this so I could avoid my usual hijacking :)