Anyone get a Directv Promo Call for 74.99 a month

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by yanks4life, Feb 13, 2020.

1. yanks4life

yanks4life New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    So i'm sure this is a scam, but I am trying to see if anyone else has gotten a call from someone saying they are a customer service rep from AT&T/Directv and there is a special promotion to get my current service for 74.99 a month for 2 years no contract extension. It includes all channels, premium movie channels and NFL package for 2 years. They want you to pay up front the first 4 months with an ebay gift card. They provide you with a promo code and a Directv billing phone number to call to make the payment. And if you make it within a day you will get a $100 visa gift card in the mail. I know this sounds shady, but the thing that gets me is the guy had all my information, including name, billing address, account number, and last time a tech was at my house for service.

I called Directv customer service and they said they would never call customers with promotions, but not sure how they got my info. I also tried to call the billing number they provided and its the Directv lady robot and you press 1 to make a payment and a guy got on saying AT&T/Directv how can I help you. I hung up, but this is crazy!

What is going on here,, could they be running this big of a scam???

2. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Of course they can. Why on earth would ATT want you to pay for ANYTHING with an ebay gift card?

longhorn23 likes this.
  3. SuperTech2131

SuperTech2131 Member

Aug 4, 2019
    Definitely a scam.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

longhorn23 likes this.
  4. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    What's the. Old saying....."If it sounds to good to be true...it probably not!!!"

5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I mean does anyone watch the god damn news. Scam 101 is asking for any sort of gift card payment

Rich likes this.
  6. yanks4life

yanks4life New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    I mean I knew it was a scam but just couldn't believe how far they went and how did they know my account info, like account number, address, and last time a tech came out.

And I was just asking had anyone else received a call like this. It was definitely a pretty elaborate scam!

7. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    And scam 100 is any company reaching out to you with a unsolicited discount if they're already getting your money... actually, 100 is probably too high for that... more like scam 0.

I bet the guy calling him was a Nigerian prince who was working for DirecTV while waiting for his trust fund to be transferred to the US... btw, if you can help him out by providing your bank info, he'll cut ya in ;).

longhorn23 likes this.
  8. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    lol I will go halfsies with you

9. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    If you do a search on this forum, you'll see several threads similar to this. All with similar things to what you have seen (they already know your information, they have a call back number with a spoofed DTV call menu ...). DTV has a leak somewhere and it's been going on for years.

longhorn23 likes this.
  10. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Several years back, a person joined the forums and claimed to be a DIRECTV employee (CSR), at first we didn't believe him, but then he started sharing all the secrets and internal drama and ripping into the company. HARD. DIRECTV actually tracked him down and fired him lol.

11. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    What does anyone expect, when a company farms out Customer Service to a foreign country, and gives them access to all of our sensitive data? We most likely gave them permission to do so, in one of the agreements we said yes to by purchasing their services.

12. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I didn't get this call from D*, but twice last week only a few hours apart I got calls telling me I was a "valued Amazon Customer" and therefore eligible to renew my Prime membership for only $39.99. I thanked them and hung up.

SMK

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've been getting a lot of emails with strange addresses telling me my Prime membership is in the process of being closed out. I just ignore them.

Rich

Steveknj likes this.
  14. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I get calls from "Dish Network" about 2x a week claiming my bill is past due or something (it has been a while since I heard one so I can't remember what it says)

I suppose a scammer can robodial a bunch of bars/restaurants all over the country and a few confused managers who don't know the difference between Directv and Dish will call up the number with the business credit card, providing enough income to make it worth keeping the scam going.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, all about percentages. Might be as low as 1-2% acceptance but call enough numbers...

Rich

16. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yeah, I get those now and then too. I also get calls telling me that my Verizon phone account is closed. Oddly they call me on my Verizon phone. Not quite as bad as when I get a call from my own number... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rich likes this.
  17. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I got an email today saying there was a new login to my Disney+ account from Switzerland. It was to an email address that isn't even associated with my disney+ account. Email looked really authentic but I didn't click the link to change my password. To be safe I did manually type in the disney+ URL and changed my password.

18. LTYRS

LTYRS Member

Sep 23, 2019
    I get fraudulent calls claiming to be from Social Security, utility company, health insurance provider, and it goes on and on.
    There have to be people falling for it where they make money or they would stop trying.

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I keep getting calls to refinance my college loans. Way too late for that.

I got a few calls from "Rachel in card services" last year ... I consider that a classic scam call (and could never hire a person using the name Rachel to work in card services).

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Again, percentages. Somebody always bites on these offers. Might be only one percent of those called but it's enough.

Rich