1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have info on the 942s USB 2.0 Hard drive backup feature?

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by shanewalker, May 11, 2005.

1. shanewalker

shanewalker Cool Member

May 4, 2005
    I was most impressed by this feature as it was discussed on this past Monday's "Tech Forum". The ability to have a 500GB usb 2.0 hard drive hooked up to the 942 upon which to offload/onload HD DVR recordings is fantastic imho. Really goes a long way to circumvent the elimination of firewire for archiving to D-VHS. I've only had my 942 for a couple of weeks and I'm already worrying about filling it up/erasing recordings to keep room.

So, anyone have further details...i.e. the approved HD list the guys talked about, or an estimated date when the feature will be activated via software update, etc.?

2. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    During the tech forum they indicated it was at least a couple months out. Sounds like a software release and a list of supported drives that you can then go buy and use.

3. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    This is still a little while off. The beginnings of the new features are in beta right now.

4. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    It sounded like the data sent out this port would be encrypted, and keyed to only play back on that particular receiver. I don't think you'll be able to make tapes or DVDs with the USB port.

On the other hand, they did say that this would support larger disk drives, so you could keep more stuff on disk, anyway.

5. shanewalker

shanewalker Cool Member

May 4, 2005
    No, I understand the data is encrypted and tied to the reciever. Makes sense to me--keeps the MPAA happy, too. Makes sense to keep it AS data and leave tape/DVD out of the picture, too (less crud I have to store somewhere). Archiving to HD makes sense all around, we do it at my work with big graphics/edit jobs...that's why I'm excited about it.

BTW, Mark, where do I sign up...;)?

6. dparker

dparker New Member

May 11, 2005
    I don't understand why they would make it only playback on the original receiver. This would be much more useful if I could play back recordings on any Dish receiver or the future Dishpod. I guess in the future when they have a Home Media Network it would be good to just attach extra storage as you need it and every TV will have access to it.

7. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Sounds too good to be true to me. I'm thinking that if they figured they could force you to subscribe to locals to get guide data, and they require you to keep your 942 connected to a phone line to avoid a $5 outlet fee.....

I'm guessing they will detect you have a hard drive connected, and dial up on the phone to tell E* you have it, and then charge you $4/mo for it. They can't charge $5, otherwise people would just disconnect their phone lines.

8. Bichon

Bichon Godfather

Jun 5, 2003
    I'd consider a really BAD design if it were tied to the receiver. Do you want to lose all archived recordings if your 942's hard drive crashes and Dish sends a replacement? How about when you upgrade to an MPEG4 capable DVR? I can understand engineering copy protection to prevent distribution of content to friends or for distribution on the Internet, but it's crucial that I can view my archived content on any 942 or replacement DVR that I legitimately own.

9. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    A better design might be to have a location in the receiver's memory for a customer ID#, that the CSR can write to when a box is activated.

Then the USB disk could be keyed to that ID#. That way, receivers could be replaced, but the key would still work with a newly activated box.

Is E* doing anything like that? Got me.

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Cool Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Any new news on this?