DBSTalk Forum banner

anyone know how to disable the SKIP to the END feature ?

1K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  drill 
#1 ·
I've got a setup in the bedroom where, when I'm laying down the remote to the box line of sight isn't 100%

So many time when I press the 30 second skip button,
the HR-20 thinks I'm holding it down and JUMPS to the end of recorded program. Which drives me nuts, since I usually watching sports,
and when it jumps to the end I see the final score.

does any one know how to disable this annoying feature ?

Does anyone actually need this feature ?
why go to the end, just hit stop and delete it.

Or if you want to get to the end, then you should be
holding down the Fast Forward button, not the commercial skip button.

thanks
jc

#2 ·
"skip to the end" is a bug not a feature

#4 ·
jwd45244 said:
Don't think so. That's a feature that doesn't work well unless you really want to go to the end of the recording. Holding down the FF button just takes you to the next tick mark on the progress bar. Holding down the slip/skip button is supposed to take you right to the end. I think this glitch is just something we just have to have patience with.

Rich

#5 ·
jwd45244 said:
Skip to the end is a feature, as is skip to the beginning, and as are features to skip to the previous and next tick marks.

The problem with skip to end/beginning is that the receiver occasionally detects a key press as a Press-and-Hold, so that's the bug.

There are two ways to avoid this entirely:

- wait for DIRECTV to eliminate Press-and-Hold (doubtful)

or

- switch to a universal remote like a Harmony, where Press-and-Hold actually requires a 3-second press-and-hold followed by a quick tap of the same key. This eliminates accidental skips to end and beginning ...

#6 ·
jwd45244 said:
It's a feature when that is what you asked the DVR to do. It's a bug when it decides to do so on its own when using skip/slip -- and a very annoying one when watching a recorded game. Happens fairly frequently on the HR21-100 here, never on the HR20-700's.

#9 ·
Drew2k said:
- switch to a universal remote like a Harmony, where Press-and-Hold actually requires a 3-second press-and-hold followed by a quick tap of the same key. This eliminates accidental skips to end and beginning ...
No Drew. I assure you, the bug is the same if not worse with a Harmony Remote. We do it at least once an evening with our Harmony One. I've tried EVERYTHING - changing the repeat settings, doing raw learn from the original remote.

You're correct that the "hold down" functions no longer work like they're supposed to but the receiver still sometimes mistakes a single press for a press-and-hold.

#12 ·
MLBurks said:
I have used slip AND skip and it does it either way. With my experience, neither one is better than the other as far as this problem goes.
Same here. Have tried both slip and skip, the stock remote as well as my MX-700 (plus I have learned to very gingerly press the button on the remote) ... but my HR21-100 still incorrectly skips to end on occasion. (It's always been a more squirrelly box then my HR20-700s.)

#13 ·
Its a bad bug! Yes skipping to the end is a feature but its not working how its supposed to!

From what i have read the skip to end is only supposed to go when in ff or rew and holding the slip forward or back. Skipping to bookmarks is the same but just a tap takes you to the next bookmark. This bug is so annoying. It seems to happen when near a bookmark and really bad at just before the center bookmark of any program. It still exists in new releases. I hope somebody fixes it!

#14 ·
It's a feature, but for the user it feels like a BUG! Its just a bad idea to reuse the same buttons for multiple puposes, if the remote had dedicted 15Min skip buttons and a Skip to End and Start then this would be a great feature, but as it is now it's pretty confusing and lends to lots of accidental problems

It's somewhat bad if you use the standard remote but it's terrible when you use a remote like a Harmony 890 etc with smaller closer spaced buttons.

#17 ·
Ken S said:
There is no way to disable the "feature". DirecTV basically doesn't believe in giving "disable" options.
Caller ID Notices can be disabled, but it would be nice if users could control features via a dashboard. However, there are many who would argue that updating the UI to add such granular control will bloat the code and introduce support problems. I'm kind of 50/50 about this ...

#18 ·
Drew2k said:
Caller ID Notices can be disabled, but it would be nice if users could control features via a dashboard. However, there are many who would argue that updating the UI to add such granular control will bloat the code and introduce support problems. I'm kind of 50/50 about this ...
The features bloat the code, not a switch to turn them on/off.

DirecTV makes enough money to afford better support people and training.

#19 ·
directv should allow users to disable this, or fix the software remote interrupt handling routine. preferrebly fix the handling routine.

the problem is the sw in the receiver isn't processing the remote signals fast enough to determine what the user actually is doing. the receiver sometimes will "see" multiple button presses as a "press and hold".

this happens a lot to me, because the receiver is so slow to respond to remote cmds. i press a button, it doesn't respond, so i press it again, it doesn't respond, i press it again, whoa ... it jumps to end because it thinks i held the button down for 3 seconds because it didn't respond to the first button press until 3 seconds after i pressed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.