1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone moving off GoDaddy?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by dpeters11, Dec 22, 2011.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I didn't realize transferring hosting and domains was such a pain, but think it's about time with their views on SOPA, plus I always did hate their website.

Anyone else moving everything over to another provider?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    No plans to... I just use them as a registrar anyway.

3. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I moved off when they jacked up my rates on my domains last year. Went to Dreamhost, where I hosted anyway, and I can't beat the total overall price.

4. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    GoDaddy seems to be censoring (deleting) any posts on their Facebook page related to SOPA. How ironic... or not.

5. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I wonder how many people realize that GoDaddy will be redirecting users away from their hosted website if there is any accusation of breaching this ludicrous act.

We are a registrar and website hoster and often have to deal with GoDaddy customers and GoDaddy set ups.

What worries me is that any online provider who supports this bill is either (a) being paid or (b) doesnt understand the implications - in which case they should not be in the business.

My only other thought is that they think that if the bill goes through and peoples sites start being shut down that they can coerce those people to host with them somehow.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm not sure I understand why some of the companies that are listed as supporters would really take a public stand for it? Especially ones like Dollar General and CVS. Just because of their own trademarks and such?

7. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Politics and lobbying.

Give me your support for this bill and I will support/lobby for the special interest bill you want..... aka you scratch my back and I will scratch yours

8. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I have just seen a list of 40 internet companies who have publicly come out and opposed SOPA - looks like GoDaddy is on its own. Could be a huge PR disaster (wonder if they have Reed Hastings advising them :lol:)

AOL, Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Linkedin, Twitter, Mozilla, eBay, Wikipedia to name a few.

9. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Per @willw on Twitter here's a big Reddit thread with resources for folks moving off of godaddy...

http://redd.it/nmnie

10. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Cheezeburger's CEO has said that they will pull all 1000 of their domains off GoDaddy if they dont reverse their support.

I am still at a loss as to how anyone in our industry can think this is a good idea?

11. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    I still have my domains there, and used to have my web & email hosted there. But when I started getting emails sent back because GoDaddy's servers were being blacklisted and messages wouldn't arrive until hours after they were sent to me, I moved over to hostgator.

12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    While I may not agree with the methods, does anyone disagree that piracy is a huge issue that needs to be addressed? It almost seems like some of you may oppose it just so you can keep pirating intellectual property.

13. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I agree with the fact that piracy needs to be stopped. We write software and make sure we do what we can to protect it.

And I agree that the DMCA is useless. But this is worse. Stanford Law have come out and said it is anticonstitutional.

You do realize that under this proposed act I can shut down DBStalk? I dont have to prove anything, I just have to file a complaint. And the owners (Chris) and hosting company will also be liable. Just on my say so.

14. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
  15. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Wow... the power of public "persuasion" (read: sites migrating like mad away from godaddy!)

16. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I do love the power of social media... the first I heard of the "Leave Go Daddy" day was on Twitter, and now Go Daddy is course-correcting. I do love it...

17. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    Yep. And yet another example of the power of Social Media. Just like FedEx's box throwing incident, PayPal not allowing donations to a charity, etc etc.

18. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    My wife still has 1 domain registered with GoDaddy, and it will be moved soon. Reason being has more to do with their CEO, that went to Africa to hunt and shot and killed an Elephant. That doesn't sit well with me, and it REALLY does not sit well with my wife.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4235670...o-kills-elephant-videotapes-act/#.TvTP-_nnttA

And with their views on SOPA, it has pretty much sealed the deal. I will never do business with them again.

19. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    From GoDaddy:

In other words... they do support it but wont say so because they are losing so many customers in 24hrs.

And they removed the blog posts as they can show up in search engines in months to come and they dont want people to find out....

20. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Piracy IS an issue that needs to be addressed. But I got to tell you..... since the release of iTunes a number of years ago, I spend an average of about $25 a month between me and my wife on new music, when I just went the Napster/Kazaa route before that.

The reason? The fact you can buy a few good songs and not have to buy the whole album, and at a good price. I love to support known-but-not-so-famous-artists by buying their work, and iTunes makes it easy. I can easily burn them to CD's for the car, and the music plays on a variety of devices I have.

But the way some companies are going about it, is all wrong. DRM is my biggest issue, and if something has DRM on it, not allowing me to make a copy of music for my car, or for the back-seat DVD player, I won't buy it. I want to buy 1 movie for my household, and be allowed to make as many copies as I like for the different devices I own. One for the car, because carrying the original DVD in the hot california sun will destroy it on a hot day. When I travel, I want to be able to put 25 movies or so on my laptop, so I can watch them in other countries whose language on TV I don't understand. And if I take public transport, I wouldn't mind watching some video on my phone while traveling from A to B.

And that's my problem. I don't want to buy a DVD that I am not allowed to copy for my car, not allowed to rip for my travel laptop (who wants to lug around 25 DVD's?), and not allowed to convert to mobile video format for my phone. And this is why I download movies sometimes.... not because I don't want to pay for them, but because what I can buy..... is often crippled with DRM that doesn't allow me to move it between devices WITHIN MY OWN HOUSEHOLD. A downloaded copy..... can be watched on any of my devices, including from a central media server that both of my TV's connect to.

Piracy is not going to go away by introducing more efforts to stop it, but by introducing better, more liberal, non-DRM infected methods of distributing movies and other material.