Anyone notice how poor the pix quality is on ESPN football games.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by r194ondi, Dec 26, 2019.

1. r194ondi

r194ondi Cool Member

Aug 21, 2007
    We're still using our HR20--which is slow sometimes, even after a clearmybox, but the pix quality is good on the channels we watch ex ESPN.
    I'm just now getting around to asking this. Been noticing it for months. The graphics and news scroll at the bottom of the page are well focused but the video overall including the players numbers are not very readable. Games on other networks (FS1, NFL) including locals not this bad. I haven't watched BB yet--maybe it's pretty bad too. It just looks like they are highly compressing the video uplink.

Is this an ESPN problem or is it DirecTV? I have not seen ESPN on Dish--maybe it's worse--but then maybe now-a-days it's better!
    tia, Ron

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    What is the settings for your display ?
    Do you have 720p checked in the resolutions ?
    Are you using Native ON or OFF ?

ESPN uses 720p. If you have say Native OFF and everything using 1080i it could be the problem.
    720p is 60 frames per second and 1080i is 30 frames per second.

3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    60 vs 30fps is not going to cause reading text issues I would say he is locked in on 480p or his 10 plus year old dvr could be on the way out

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It is fairly easy to accidentally set a Directv receiver to 480i - if you press and hold the info button on the remote for two seconds it will switch resolutions.

5. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I believe that's the Exit key. More like 5 secs, I think.

jimmie57 likes this.
  6. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    @r194ondi is 100% correct. ESPN's PQ has gone to the dogs.

However, if you have an AppleTV or Roku, the PQ is much, much better on the ESPN app. We watched the Christmas games on my ATV, and it was just about perfect.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  7. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Would 450% disagree.... The last few MNF Games i watched was some of the best PQ I have ever seen on the channel

ejbvt likes this.
  8. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    I am watching a bowl game on ESPN Channel 206 right now. Texas A&M vs Oklahoma State. My screen looks superb, my receiver is an H25/500 receiver.

compnurd likes this.
  9. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    And you can do quad PIP. :)

wilbur_the_goose and I WANT MORE like this.
  10. r194ondi

r194ondi Cool Member

Aug 21, 2007
    I'm the OP. My Native is set to Off, and the only Res checked is 720p--nothing else. I also should have mentioned--ALL my viewing is via the DVR, HDMI out to Denon AVR 6500, to a JVC RS600 projector (the projector does convert any image)--viewed on an 8' wide screen, I sit about 10 ft away in a dark HT. As mentioned--other channels, FS1, NFL Network, etc do not have this problem. I'm watching the Alamo Bowl and just paused it with a closeup of a player--it is somewhat blured--the edges of print on jerseys is not sharp, the letters of Burnt Orange "HORNS" on the white helmet is very blurred. At the same time--the lower "News" feed and the Score and ad on the lower right is crystal clear. IF there was a problem with my setup--EVERYTHING would be blurred the same way--not just the video. I know this is made worse by my large screen BUT I do not notice this on FS1, NFL Network and other channels. AND more importantly-- IIRC--it did not used to be this way.

edit to add--OK here we are on New Years day--Outback Bowl on ESPN, Citrus Bowl on local ABC uploaded to DirecTV.. There is NO question the ABC broadcast is MUCH more detailed and sharper and the colors are more vivid--like comparing SD to HD---and yes I am watching ESPNHD---all my channels are HD with no SD duplicates displayed. I wish I could receive the local ABC broadcast to compare it--but I can't. I hope some of you will do a compare while watching.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    wilbur_the_goose and I WANT MORE like this.
  11. r194ondi

r194ondi Cool Member

Aug 21, 2007
    hey--I'm back again. Using TitanTV it shows the ProBowl on ABC is in HD and on ESPN it does not have the HD symbol on both Dtv & Dish. Both DTV & DISH have multiple other programs on ESPN with the HD symbol.

Do you suppose this true or ESPN supplied the wrong info so folks would watch their local station? Maybe why I still have pretty poor PQ on outside games.
    I will again record both ABC and ESPN and compare the difference in PQ. I'd love to have a Dish setup so I could compare PQ with the same satellite channels to DTV.

Maybe I'll connect my iPad and stream a bit of the ProBowl and try and compare the difference. It's almost apples and oranges tho.

I'd be interested if you guys see any difference---
    Ron

12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    ABC/ESPN are the same company. I would not read into the guide info at all like literally AT ALL

ejbvt likes this.
  13. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I think that the football games on ESPN are actually the BEST PQ on the channel. The other sports they show are just "average" HD but football (MNF, college) is spectacular. Fox football is the worst - only the close-ups look true HD.

compnurd likes this.
  14. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Oh, and the HR2x receivers still let you chose the native resolution? Genies took that away a while ago, if you want to watch a 720p channel in 720p, you have to manually change it.

I WANT MORE and compnurd like this.
  15. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Yes, they are all Disney.

They should just stop with that HD icon. It is meaningless. Many things that are HD do not have the icon. Some entire channels are missing it. It just wastes space where a couple more letters could fit.

compnurd likes this.