1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone seen this?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TDK1044, Dec 15, 2011.

1. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    So, here's a strange one. Twice now I've recorded a show (Storage wars) on A&E, and the show starts off in HD, but after a commercial break about 15 minutes into the show, when the show comes back it has changed to SD?

It must be an A&E issue, because my DVR continues to record and display HD perfectly on all channels....including A&E. In fact, if I stop the Storage Wars recording and navigate to the A&E channel as a 'live' feed, the pictures are HD. I can spool back in the recording and see HD pictures, until a specific commercial break, at which point everything goes SD?

Is it possible that the Broadcaster has switched to SD to accommodate it's commercials and then forgot to switch back? I can't think of another explanation. :)

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    By SD do you mean it's 4:3 an not 16:9?
    While not on A&E, I've seen this with local HD channels and it takes them a while to realize their switching wasn't correct.

3. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    Yes, VOS, the pictures become 4:3. Only seen it happen on that channel and with that specific show. Hardly a big deal. :)

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "I think" this comes from broadcast centers now being computerized and no longer having "an engineer" live at the switches.

5. sonofcool

sonofcool Legend

Dec 23, 2007
    I'm all caught up on Storage Wars, watched the last one last night and didn't notice this. It may have happened, but I don't think so. I'll watch for it next time and reply back what I see.

"Money owns this town"

6. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Some people are reporting this with the new HD graphical user interface that's being rolled out. Reported problem occurs when DTV inserts a local commercial (stored in DTV's reserved portion of your hard disk) into the program. If the commercial is in a 4:3 aspect ratio, the set doesn't switch back to 16:9 after the ad. If watching live, you can switch to another station and back.

7. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    (Edit: makaiguy explained the problem better than I did.)

In the cases where I've had the issue, I've gotten the 16:9 aspect ratio to return by rewinding playback into the commercial so that it's not fast-forwarding during the transition from the commercial break back into the program (i.e., the instant when the DVR switches from playing back the commercial from one spot on the hard drive to playing back the program from another spot on the hard drive).

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You can tell the difference between "the glitch" [which also should look distorted] and the station doing this by cycling the format button on the remote. If cycling the format removes the pillarbars, it's the glitch, and if not, it's the station.

9. sonofcool

sonofcool Legend

Dec 23, 2007
    Good information. I'm on the HD-GUI. Will watch out for this.

10. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    The first time American Horror Story was on FX my DVR recorded the SD version. I have all the SD duplicates hidden so I don't know what that would happen but it hasn't happened since thankfully.

11. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    I honestly think it was probably a Network engineering issue with A&E. I've never seen it on any other channel, and the picture for the last 10 minutes of the show was perfectly fine to look at, it was just 4:3 rather than 16:9. :)

12. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    Update....I had the same issue during the commercial break while watching a recording of this week's Storage Wars. Watch the commercial break in real time and the issue doesn't occur, but spool through it and one of the commercials triggers the HR24 to go 4:3 and stay in that format.

The solution is the oldest one in the book....Hit Stop and then hit Resume. The show immediately goes back to HD 16:9.

I have still never seen this on any other channel or any other show, but if you do see it, just hit Stop and Resume. :)

13. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Do you know if it was the same commercial? The reason I ask is that Directv are "pushing" some local commercials to your boxes now so they can sell better targeted ads rather than national ones. So I wondered if it was the same commercial that you saw live as recorded or if they played a different one on the recorded version?

14. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    I honestly don't know. I'll try and identify it on the next recording of the show. It's so strange that it just happens on the first run recordings of this particular show. :)

15. phox_mulder

phox_mulder Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    Happened to me during a TNT recorded show, The Closer.

Commercial was a local spot, some furniture place that's going out of business.
    FF'ing through the break and it caught my eye because I've never seen a local spot on TNT before.
    It was 4:3, and The Closer stayed in 4:3 after the commercial break, all squished and tall.
    Had to stop then resume to get it back to 16:9

It's happened a couple times, just figured out why since it was an obvious local spot insertion that did it.

phox