Anyone used an ethernet or coax HDMI extender?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Soulweeper, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I have an HR24 in my bedroom, that now feeds a 50" Vizio, and also has a coax going under the house to a small crt tv on the kitchen counter. It's time we upgrade that to a small HDTV, and will need HDMI to connect to it.

There are both HDMI over ethernet, and HDMI over coax, with the coax kits being a little pricier.
    If anyone has tried either, or both....have you had good results?
    Like anything else, you get what you pay for, so I intend to get one of the better units, just not sure which.

I could get a 50' HDMI cable, and ends, and terminating tool, but seems unnecessary, and has it's own potential problems.

Thanks, in advance!

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    They both work. Coax converter is way more expensive for the ones I've priced.

tecnicoloco likes this.
  3. videojanitor

videojanitor DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 8, 2006
    I use an HDMI-over-Ethernet device for a run of approximately 80 feet. It’s been in service for about five years and I’ve never had any trouble with it — works great.

4. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Yep, definitely noticed they're significantly pricier.

5. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Good to know. Happen to know what brand you got, and is is powered, single ethernet??
    I'm looking at this one
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZV04BK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A1AMUYYA3CT6HJ&psc=1

They also have a few at monoprice. Probably all essentially the same.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If you can fit the head through just get a 50’ redmere hdmi cable.

7. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Nah......it goes through bedroom floor, and up through kitchen floor, inside a cabinet, and right now, just a 3/8 hole in the corner, out of sight. That would a bigger hole than I care to make.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    There are RJ-45 extenders of 1/8 price... like this "Riipoo HDMI to RJ45 Network Extender Converter Adapter, 30M HDMI to Dual RJ45 Network Cable Extender, Splitter, Repeater by Cat 5e Cat 6 1080P for HDTV HDPC PS3 STB"

9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
  10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    looks good and not that expensive

11. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Just don't think I'd trust that, as many of the cheaper ones get not so great reviews. You get what you pay for, and not saying it doesn't work, and also not saying a person has to drop a Benjamin on it either, but that looks iffy. That's just me though. :)

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    we don't know how deep is your pocket :)
    take any extender and share your particular experience with us here

13. videojanitor

videojanitor DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 8, 2006
    The one I have is made by Atlona. It's an older one though, which has been discontinued. As I recall, it was a bit pricey, at around $200 for the two units. Both ends are powered, and uses a single ethernet cable. As other folks have noticed, there's a lot of these things out there, with a wide range in price points. I'd just pick one that gets a high number of good reviews, and then get ready to return it if it doesn't work as expected.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    the criteria I would support, but not the price

15. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Oh they're not deep, haha. I'd just be a little skeptical of those ones on Ebay. The powered ones do get pricey. I need to see those blue ones on Amazon or Monoprice, and read a few reviews. I have to run ethernet under the house anyway, so maybe. I've read reviews of the power ones where people had issues too. Nothing is perfect, that's why I asked here. It's going to be a small tv, in the kitchen, so it won't take much to blow away the little crt that has been in there, but don't want any issues, if I can avoid them. :)

16. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Yep......thanks!

17. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It has always worked perfectly for me, on a cat5e run of about 50', plus two short patch cables and two cat5e couplers. YMMV. If you have a really long run you'll want one of the more expensive ones that requires power, so it can boost the signal, but otherwise I'd recommend people try one of these before assuming they won't work. Its only $11, if it doesn't work that's only 5% on top of one of those $200 Atlona pairs also mentioned...

18. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Oh I agree. I'm not saying they don't work, just skeptical, as it's so cheap. Like I said, I have to run ethernet under the house anyway, for either, and it is probably a total of 50 feet, give or take but the time it gets to both devices. And you're getting 1080P, no problem?

19. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I haven't tested its exact limits, but I know it works for 720p, 1080i, and 1080p24/30.

If you are looking for something you don't need today, search eBay for one of those that has the exact same picture of the two blue dongles but is shipped direct from China - you can find them at half the price if you are willing to wait 3-4 weeks for shipment.

I'm willing to bet the reason these are so cheap is because they probably use a gigabit ethernet PHY on each end. That would limit it to a gigabit of bandwidth, but that's enough for any of the formats I listed above - but not for 1080p60 which I did not test (it would also fail for stuff like 1080p24 4:4:4)

20. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Yeah, my needs aren't that demanding, just need to get rid of the 9"crt, and go to a 19" widescreen, and let the HR24 do what it's supposed to do, haha.