1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using Verizon Home Phone Connect?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by chuck1996, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Mar 1, 2013 #1 of 43
    chuck1996

chuck1996 Mentor

Jun 28, 2007
    I'm thinking about switching out my landline phone for the Verizon Wireless Home Phone Connect. This is basically a cell phone for the home. It is a base unit that you plug your basic phones into. The main drawback to the device is that it ONLY supports voice, no fax/data/security systems, etc. I have all of my HRxx units connected to the internet via my Whole Home setup, but I also have the phone lines connected strictly for Caller ID. I'd like to keep it that way, for the Caller ID with the Verizon unit. It seems to me, that since the HR's will only be operating as Caller ID boxes, and not call originators, it *should* work. Unfortunately the drones at Verizon seem unable to answer the simple question, of whether or not their unit will work in that mode for me. So........ anybody out there who has tried this, or one of the other home wireless units this way?

Thanks!
    Chuck

2. Mar 1, 2013 #2 of 43
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    My sister uses the AT&T version of that (her husband works for AT&T). They have DIRECTV, so I will check with them to see if they have their receiver(s) connected to it for CID purposes.

3. Mar 1, 2013 #3 of 43
    Tarheel115

Tarheel115 Cool Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Yes it works..I have this setup and it works fine.

4. Mar 1, 2013 #4 of 43
    chuck1996

chuck1996 Mentor

Jun 28, 2007
    Thanks Tarheel!

5. Mar 1, 2013 #5 of 43
    Camborita

Camborita AllStar

Nov 9, 2009
    Hey Chuck,

I had never heard of this device, so I went to VZW to check it out as it sounded pretty intriguing. Looks like there are a lot of negative reviews, so be careful since it seems they want to lock you into a 2 year commitment.

6. Mar 1, 2013 #6 of 43
    tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    You only get the phone number from CID, no name. Wal Mart has one that's 15 per month, haven't looked into that yet. I have three of VZ's for what I use them for it's fine.

7. Mar 1, 2013 #7 of 43
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    One possible issue might be if you have too many devices connected to the phone line. They can only handle up to a certain amount of "ringer equivalency" load. I don't think the DirecTV DVRs actually have any ringer load, so it should not be an issue. But if you run into problems, you can always disconnect the DVRs and see if that fixes things.

8. Mar 1, 2013 #8 of 43
    tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    IIRC these units will not transmit data, voice only for now. DVR's will not be able to even do a health check.

9. Mar 1, 2013 #9 of 43
    dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    The OP said he ONLY wants this for CID purposes (ie: he doesn't care if the DVR's call back, at it is not necessary for D* service) so this is obviously a non-issue - particularly since his DVR's are internet connected...)

10. Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    I have a VZ Home Phone Connect and my 2 year contract ends in 2 months. The service has been outstanding and 100% reliable. It also has saved me much $$ over my old Frontier POTS.

It will not work with data as clearly stated on their website. At $20 a month with all the bells and whistles and unlimited calling including long distance, it is the best value for telephone service available.

11. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    $20/month is nowhere near the best value. There are many VOIP options significantly cheaper than that. Of course, those require a broadband internet connection, so if you don't have one of those, the cellular option is a very good option. But I paid $165 for two years of phone service through Voipo (less than $7/mo).

12. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    And I pay $0 using Google Voice.

13. Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    VOIP is NOT an option for someone that needs utterly reliable telephone service. My internet provider would give me VOIP telephone service for under $10. However their TOS specifically says their (VOIP) telephone service is for "entertainment" purposes only and you need another phone in the house for emergencies.... Would you stake your life on a VOIP telephone? I would not...

14. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Well in that case, you should just have POTS.

15. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Hogwash.

I haven't had an internet outage in probably 10 years. I don't ever remember going 10 years without a landline issue.

16. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    +1

During the last few months that I had my land line connection, I had 2 outages. In both cases, it took the telephone company 3-4 days to get someone out to restore the connection. During the 2+ years since I switched to a VOIP connection, there have been a few times when my internet connection has gone down, but they have been brief, and, even in those instances, any incoming calls are immediately forwarded to my cell phone or go to voice mail. Overall, the VOIP connection has been more reliable, and voice quality is actually better than what I had been getting with the poorly maintained infrastructure that the phone company was using. Plus, I'm paying 1/2 per month what I had been paying for the phone company's most basic plan and getting a full range of features with the VOIP service that I would have had to have been paying many dollars per month more for with the land line connection.

17. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    To be fair, he said his internet company considers their VOIP offering for "entertainment purposes", so maybe his internet company sucks. Mine? Nary an outage. I did have some initial issues with Voipo, but they corrected the issues and it's been rock solid. Also true for Vonage who I had for several years prior. Haven't had POTS in a long time, and certainly don't consider my phone service unreliable.

And like lesz said, it fails over to cellular anyway, so no missed calls.

18. Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    My ISP (Mediacom) is 90% reliable. Verizon Home Connect has been 100% reliable for 22 months. Since my wife is on call for her employment 90% telephone service is not a option.

Anyone that says their internet is 100% reliable for 10 years is probably lying. No ISP is that good.. :nono:

19. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    90% reliable is terrible, and probably would rank at or near the bottom of reliability for all ISP's nationwide. And, as was already stated, since you can set any other phone number (including a cell) as a fail over, missing a call is never an issue.

What does your wife do when power is out? I guarantee my power is out for a far greater amount of time annually than is my internet.

EDIT: Just for perspective, 90% reliability means your internet is down for 3 days per month, or over one month per year. Think about that. That just isn't a realistic reliability rating. How could anyone use an ISP that was down 6 minutes per hour?

20. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Maybe your wife should invest in a cell phone, so she can leave the house when she's on call occasionally.

And no, not lying. It's that good, and most close to that. They put those "entertainment" disclaimers in there for CYA purposes.