1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone worked with the retention dept lately?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by quagmire0, Apr 29, 2010.

1. quagmire0

quagmire0 Cool Member

Dec 15, 2006
    I've been looking at all of my services internet/dish/insurance/etc, just looking to save some money, if possible.

I'm very happy with Dish, and I think they are quite competitive, but I was wondering if anyone had any luck recently getting some discounts to their bill through their retention dept. For the heck of it, I chatted online with a sales rep just to get a feel for what they would say. I asked if I was still under contract (no) and they gave me the general 'may I ask why you are asking about the status of your contract?' question. I said that I was curious as I was going to shop around and see what the best deal might be. Pretty much everything the support rep said boiled down to 'Dish is the cheapest, DTV will overcharge you, etc. etc. No real attempt at luring me with a discount.

Just wondering if anyone had any luck via phone.

2. max1

max1 Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    I have been looking around as well. It' turns out our cable is more expensive than dish cause they charge outrageous fee for dvr. I may end up going to D with a new offer-will see--Dish is misleading people saying they are cheaper than D. What they dont tell you you pay extra for HD and locals and add another 2o bucks. If they advertised the 250 package they would not have as many new subs. Plus there are only advertising the 120 plus pack which is not a good package. I think we pay 70 a month for 250. Am thinking i may go with d max.

3. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Locals are included in the price of the package now. And what "add another 20 bucks" are you talking about?

Sure, 120+ doesn't fit your viewing needs, but it works for a lot of people.

4. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    ...?...

5. max1

max1 Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    Well, If i drop hd package which is 10 dollars extra plus an extra 5 for the locals which I seldom watch and dont need and monthly fee for service protection plan with taxes it comes up to 71 bucks a month if you go with 250 package. and you drop HD and locals etc the price the rep told me it was 48 bucks a month. they aren't really misleading people just not saying the whole picture.:) The 120 package may work for some but like i say it didn't work for us.

6. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Nobody's holding a gun to your head to get HD or the DHPP. D*'s not giving people the whole picture, either.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    With any service provider, you have to look past their advertised intro prices and add up your ENTIRE cost. I recommend using a spreadsheet and add up the total cost for the duration of the contract period (usually 2 years), taking into account the expiration of your New Customer programming discount (usually after 6-12 months) and all of the costs for extra receivers and services (HD, DVR, etc.).

Only then do you know what YOUR costs are. Someone else who has a different receiver configuration and/or different programming may well find that the provider with the best deal for them is not the same as it is for you.

Last, I will say that all of the companies have recently reigned in their Retention departments from throwing around discounts for no particular reason, especially for "less-than-A-rated" customers. In this economy, they can't afford to pay a whole lot to keep a customer.

Also, while moving providers may get you a New Customer discount, remember you'll only get that discount once, and the costs you have to pay for a bunch of advanced receivers when you switch may well eat up that savings.

8. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I wasn't even sure if Dish had a "retention department" as it is sort of a "respond-to-threats-with-bribes-approach" that seems so "un-Charlie."

I do know that by participating in this Forum and by being a long-term, automatic-payment, aware Dish Network customer I was able to get HBO & Starz for free for 3 months in 2009; HBO & Showtime for free for 3 months in 2010; Cinemax for a penny a year for 2008, 2009, and now for several months of 2010; and Platinum HD without charge since August of 2009.

Seems like Dish Network has given me quite a bit. Yes, the burden is on me to manage my account to make sure I get these bonuses. But that's so Charlie, a fact I accept because I like the equipment and prices are very competitive.

9. Grampa67

Grampa67 Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    +1

10. beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    Also, D* requires you to have the HD package ($10, IIRC) if you have HD equipment. Dish allows you to "HD enable" your equipment meaning you would get your locals in HD, as well as premiums in HD without shelling out the extra $10. Dish's HD package is for the HD channels in your base package.

11. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Yeah Dish has been very good to me over the years as well. I've moved twice and upgraded to HD once and the only charge I had for any of that was $50 for the HD upgrade and in fact they gave me a $10 credit off my bill for the first year I had HD (essentially free HS for a year) so I definitely came out ahead on that one. Plus i've had all the movie channels free at one point or another several times over the years. I think last year they gave me $3 off my bill for 10 months or something for no reason at all as far as I could tell (some kind of "loyalty credit" that I didn't even ask for). This year i'm getting the service plan free for 6 mos and they're giving me another $5 off my bill (that one I understand because of the receiver fee increase). Plus I have taken advantage of the club Dish referral program and referred 6 or 7 people so i've gotten those discounts as well. I've had Dish 6+ years and I have to shake my head everytime I see anyone claim Dish doesn't do right by their existing customers, like I said they've been very good to me.

12. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    I have to agree with Tsmacro.

I have moved once and upgraded from two receivers to two DVR's at that time. Then I upgraded to HD and replaced the 510's with one VIP 722. All without any installation charges.

13. ka8zay

ka8zay AllStar

Feb 11, 2009
    Throw my 2 cents in here late but TimeWarner at least out here in Southwest Ohio is cheaper then anyone if you switch to them from Sat. I got two Cisco HD DVR's every channel except Premiums, I don't watch movie channels much all for $75 a month including tax no contract required. After 12 months it goes to $85 but still less then what I was paying Dish after the last round of price increases. After that I'll get them down again which they even told me to call retention after the first year...lol or I'll switch again.