1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyway to get a cheaper DVR Upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tpm1999, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tpm1999

tpm1999 Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    Not sure if this is the right forum...but here I go.

I currently have 2 HD-DVRs and would like to upgrade my last non-HD DVR to an HD-DVR.

What are the best strategies to get Directv to cut me a deal on the box. I have only "Haggled" with directv once in the past (4 years ago I think)... and I was not very good at it.

What are the best strategies for me to get the new box at 100 dollars or less (free is good!).

Thanks!

2. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I just tried two days ago, they wouldn't budge off of $199 for me, although I assume this varies by geographic area and account history.

Mind you, I'm not one of those to whine and cry and demand retentions. I asked politely, asked again for clarification, and let it go. Maybe I would have gotten something had I nagged, I don't know.

3. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    If you are under a 2-year commitment, they have absolutely no incentive to reduce the price. They have you locked-in and you will take what they dish out, and you WILL like it! ;)

4. tpm1999

tpm1999 Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    Wow...anyone else have better luck?

5. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    The only way to know is to call and find out. My limited understanding is that it just depends on your account history. Which department you end up talking to has some impact too but not as much as account history.

6. Greyshadow2007

Greyshadow2007 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    One thing to consider is that, from a business standpoint, DIRECTV has little incentive to offer a discounted receiver to you. The additional revenue generated is negligible (4.99) as you already have 2 HDDVRs. You might be able to find someone who will give you a discounted one (due to CSR roulette) though.

7. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    And actually the "additional revenue" is $0 assuming the OP disconnects the non-HD unit that he is talking about upgrading. Thus no financial incentive to give a discount. Though maintaining a satisfied customer base, that's priceless... :D

8. Jeff5614

Jeff5614 Cool Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I upgraded a bit over a month ago from my old Phillips DTivo to an HDDVR. I called three times over a couple of weeks inquiring about discounts for existing customers. The first two times I was flatly told there were no discounts. On my third call I was immediately offered an HDDVR for $99. The only stipulation being they required payment in full at that time vs. spreading it out over three months on my bill.

If at first you don't succeed.......

9. marlon1985

marlon1985 Cool Member

Jul 7, 2007
    I CALLED about 2 or 3 times when the recievers just came out and they wont do much for me but after my third call I told them that I want to cancel my service, and they offer me a three credits in my bill for $99.00 I think I only paid shipping.so if you have a contract with them they might not much for you but give it a try.

10. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Be very careful dropping the "I will cancel" bomb. We're hearing more and stories from folks where DirecTV simply says "fine, you're cancelled".

11. jdh8668

jdh8668 Legend

Nov 7, 2007
    A few days ago I ran across a thread that had an email message to copy, paste & send to Directv for an upgrade. I have one HR20 and was needing to upgrade my HR10. I sent the email, got an email back with a phone # to call, reiterated the email to the retention rep, and voila got an upgrade for only shipping & handling (roughly $20). The rep was 90% sure I would receive a HR20, but it showed up 2 days later as an HR21. Called Directv back and got the story that they can't guarantee what I will end up with. In the end that email did save me alot of money, but I will have to patiently wait for an am21 to hit the market to get my hd locals.

12. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    Do share....

13. alant40

alant40 AllStar

Oct 8, 2006
    That must be the reason, satisified customer base that is. I called up retention to see if I qualified for an upgrade from the HR10-250. I was told no by the first rep. I called back for a totally unrelated reason and was given and upgrade. I'm not sure if the first rep was green or just lazy, because the second guy went thru hoops to get me the upgrade. He actually told me there's different ways of getting the computer to put through the upgrade. And he tried 3 different ways. I've also been a customer for 14 years so that may have had something to do with his efforts. Anyhow, as others have stated, try different reps and don't act like your entitled to an upgrade. You may get lucky...

14. jdh8668

jdh8668 Legend

Nov 7, 2007
  15. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    Sorry, I don't see any magic e-mail in there to cut and paste.....

Oh, sorry, I do see one specific to HR10 owners. I don't have one of them.

16. jdh8668

jdh8668 Legend

Nov 7, 2007
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that email works for HR10 owners and probably won't for a non-hd upgrade. But then again, you might catch the right csr on the right day......

17. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    I might, but I don't subscribe to CSR roulette, nor do I subscribe to hollering RETENTION and CANCEL when I don't get my way. I'll wait. I usually get an tempting offer of some sort once a year, I used mine up this year already.

18. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Just to reiterate a point that is popping up here. Any discounted upgrade is more likely to be upgrading from the MPEG2 HD-TiVo (HR10-250) to the MPEG4 HD DVR (probably the HR21 at this point). Though I am sure it's probably happened, upgrading an SD DVR to HD DVR will very likely NOT get you any discounts.

19. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    Basically i called. Asked what it would take to upgrade to an hd dvr. CSR said 199+shipping. I said nicely is that the best u can do and she said yes. I asked nicely is there such a thing as a Rentention Dept and she said yes and that they could probably give me a better deal and tranfered me. nice lady came on and asked what she could do for me. I said nicely that i have been a customer for 10 years had one upgrade 3 years ago for locals and was wondering if she could do a 99 for a hd dvr for me and she said sure.

no yelling or telling them i was going to cancel. sometime you get more flies with honey than sh*t. :)

20. kw2957

kw2957 Godfather

Apr 4, 2008
    Congratulations! I will try that this Summer. HD, here I come!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.