1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyway to get a replacement HD DVR without them rolling a truck?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Hey_Hey, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Hey_Hey

Hey_Hey AllStar

Aug 23, 2006
    I have the protection plan, a couple HR20's and an HR10-250. The HR10-250, bless it's soul, has called it quits. When you reboot it, it gets all of the sat info, briefly shows a live picture, then the screen goes black and the box locks up. Front panel buttons no longer work. I have tried it on other cables coming from the multi-switch, same result. One of the HR20's works fine on the same cables.

So I figure the disk drive in the HR10-250 has gone bad.

But when I called DirecTV CSR, they are convinced it is "something with my wiring or multiswitch, because it always is". So they need to roll a truck to my house.

That's a pain because I have to be there and he technician will probably get all confused by the SWM-8 I installed myself, that I have driving one of the HR20's I couldn't run a second line to. Last time when I had a technician out to re-align the dish, he was convinced he had to re-wire my whole house because the "SWM-8 wouldn't work with my setup". He said I needed a different dish to be compatible with it and all of the receivers had to be the same model. After an hour of talking to him and his supervisor on the phone, I finally got him to go up on a ladder and check the dish. He promptly found that a bolt holding the monopole had fallen out. He put the bolt back in, which slightly changed the dish aiming and viola all of the channels I couldn't get were magically coming in fine on all receivers. He left saying he doubted that was the problem and that when it fails again I should give him a call and he will come out and re-wire everything to get rid of the non-working SWM-8.

So is there anyway to avoid all of this and to just get them to send me a replacement HD DVR?

2. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Strange, because last week I called up DirecTV and told them the following: one of my old DirecTiVo HDVR2s died, and that I was going to move another working HDVR2 to that room, deactivate the dead one, but that as a result of my moving the still-working HDVR2, my bedroom now needed a receiver. I got a new HDTV and asked them if they could send me an HD DVR. They shipped it to me w/in 2 days, I connected and activated it, and that was the end of it.

They had asked if I wanted an installer to come out and hook it up, but I told them, "Nah, save your man's time for someone who is in a more serious situation. I can easily connect it." They were happy to oblige, and I got my HR21-100 (at no charge, too).

3. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Hey_Hey,

I recently replaced an SD-DVR80 with an R22 under the Protection Plan and they shipped it out - no tech needed. Before that, I did the same with 2 HR10-250s (at different times) and again, the replacements (HR20s at the time) were shipped.

In my case, all three boxes were stuck at "Welcome - Powering Up". I had pulled the plug on them for several hours, plugged them back in and left them running for hours and that's all I was getting - and I explained this to the CSRs.

I would try calling again. Tell them that now all you're getting is the gray screen with the message "Welcome - Powering Up" and it doesn't get beyond that point. No guarantees anything will go differently, but it seems that with that problem, there's not much question that the unit is dead.

I say this not having experienced what you are experiencing, so I don't know if there actual may be some other fixable problem.

Good luck!

4. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    It may be the CSR you get, or perhaps something specific about your situation. I had a similar problem, though in my case the hard drive was no longer spinning up, or if it was spinning up, I never heard any seeking going on. I called, explained what was happening and they sent out a new unit within a couple days. Of course the new unit was missing BBCs, but that is another matter.

Good luck.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The key to shipped replacements is "power cycling."

"My receiver starts up, then the lights go out for a few seconds, it comes back on, and goes off again, over and over..."

Power-cycling isn't an installation issue.

6. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Yeah, I always lie to the CSR. My SD Tivo recently started pixelating on one tuner, with perfect signal strength. If I would have told this to the CSR, there would have been a truck roll for sure. I just said that it wouldn't power up at all, and they shipped me out an R15 to replace it.

7. Lyle Thorogood

Lyle Thorogood AllStar

Jun 27, 2004
    Something smells like it's smoking... Hmmm.... Strange, no lights on the front either...

"Let me transfer you, and let's get that unit replaced." :eek2:

8. seern

seern Active Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    My HR21-700 has experienced an ongoing issue with tuner 2. Three times in the last 2 months it has quit seeing satellites 99 and 103 both c and s beams. Still sees the other satellites and tuner 1 sees everything with good signal strengths. Each time an rbr corrects the problems and I was good for 2 - 3 more weeks. After it happened today, I called D* and spoke with both the first line and supervising techs. They insisted that since I did the rbr and did not call them while it was down, they couldn't send a replacement. Also said it was definitely an issue with either the dish or cables coming in, it always was they both said. They wanted me to wait until it happened again and to call them so they could roll a truck to trouble shoot. I was like, I am not going to wait 2 - 3 days, or more since all my prior experiences with Mastec have resulted in waits up to a week, with a bum receiver. Told the supervisor that I would call Verizon and switch to Fios if they didn't help. Switched me to retention who took very little time in setting up the swap.

9. Dec 1, 2008 #9 of 12
    Hey_Hey

Hey_Hey AllStar

Aug 23, 2006
    Just to follow up...

I tried another CSR and they still said they needed to send someone out.

When the tech arrived, I told him the same thing I told the CSR: "Seems to power up okay, but then locks up after a couple seconds of TV."

He said, "do your other receivers work okay?"

I said, "Yes".

He said, "Okay I'll replace it."

He didn't even try to reboot the HR10-250, check the multiswitch, or anything.

He just brought in and hooked up an HR22, which is working fine.

Would have saved them a lot of money and me a lot of time to just ship it to me.

Oh well.

10. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Last week I called and asked if I can deactivate an R15 and HR10-250 for two HD DVRs. On Saturday both HD DVRs arrived via FedEx Ground. No installer, no service call needed.

The only weird thing about this was that of the two new HD DVRs, one was an HR20-100 and the other an HR22.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Wow, how unlucky. They sent me to Best Buy to buy a HR22 and then credited my account for it. And that was for a defective H20 :)

12. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    At least the installer made some easy money for a change.