1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AOL Desktop 9.6 slowdown

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by AntAltMike, Mar 31, 2012.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    When I access AOL through the Desktop 9.6 on my computer, it now runs at about one tenth the speed that it does if I access it through Internet Explorer or Mozilla, and I see that in addition to the five, folder select "buttons" on my File management box, there is now a sixth button offering me a 30 day free trial on something they are selling to "clean up" my computer and restore its speed. Hmmm. Looks like sandbagging to me.

Here are the dozen rotating labels on the new, sixth button:

AOL computer checkup
    Clean Your Computer
    Clean Your HardDrive

Computer Trouble?
    Fix & Speed Up Your PC
    Free for 30 days

Help Your Harddrive
    Help Your PC
    Let us fix it for you

So it runs Like new
    System mechanic
    Try it for free

2. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    AOL? They still have desktop software?

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Sounds like the solution is to not use aol 9.6. Or maybe to drop aol.

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    My God. My mother wont stop using that either. I end up having to fix her computer weekly because of all the crap that software messes with. I just cannot convince her to drop it...even though she gripes about all the spam she gets daily.

5. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I like the convenience of their "Favorite Places" feature and I use their "Mail waiting to be sent" as a convenient word processing scratchpad that opens faster than opening a seperate word processor. I guess I'll have to see what Explorer and Mozilla can provide for those functions.

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Favorite places is simply the same as Add bookmark in any browser.
    For word processing, you have Notepad or Wordpad.

7. Apr 2, 2012 #7 of 13
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I parted company with AOL many years ago, while Steve Case was still running the store. You might want to look at the Google products. If you're using Gmail, you get invites to Google's other products, including Google+, a worthy competitor to Facebook, Google Docs and Google calendar. If you have a smart phone or tablet, they'll sync very nicely to each other and your computer. I really like Google calendar

8. Apr 2, 2012 #8 of 13
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I didn't know anybody still used AOL.

9. Apr 2, 2012 #9 of 13
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I just reinstalled AOL 9.5 on the same computer, and so now I have two browsers that move at a snail's pace, and it, to, now sports the button that offers to remedy this "problem" for me. Gotta be sandbagging.

I guess now I'll have to explore my Explorer, so to speak. The AOL favorite Places function develops the traditional file folder tree. I'll have to see if there is a similar way to use the Explorer or Mozilla Bookmark features.

10. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    IE Favorites can be organized into folders and subfolders, but I rarely use it that way anymore. Instead, I go straight to the address line and type a few letters from the URL of the site I want to go to. It brings up a list of matches from my recent history and favorites. I can then arrow down to it and hit enter (IE and FF) or, if it's the top match, just hit shift-enter (IE only).

11. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    They still have 3.2 million users. :eek2:

12. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Most of whom either haven't figured out how to stop paying for it, or don't even know they still are.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Well, they certainly got quite an infusion of cash selling their Patents and Netscape to Microsoft.