1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apparently if you turn a DVR off it keeps playing?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BosFan, Nov 30, 2011.

1. BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
    Last night I had gone to my list and highlighted a series that I had fallen behind on and pressed play so that it would play from the oldest to newest show. Part way into the second show of 7 (each show is 2 hours long) I started to doze off. Rather than stopping the playback and then turning everything off I just shut everything down. This morning when I turn the system on the series was still playing and was into the 6th show! I guess I didn't know it would do this, not sure why it would, but issues I do sort of know where I left off. Anyone else know of this or experience it?

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    After a while nothing will surprise you. I've never had that happen, but I rarely use the Play All option. What model HR was it on?

Rich

3. BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
    My HR23-700, maybe for giggles I'll try it on the HR24. It's rare for me to use the play all option as well.

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's a rather strange HR. I kinda doubt you get the same results on a HR.

Rich

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And what software version are you on?

6. krock918316

krock918316 Hall Of Fame

Mar 5, 2007
    Isn't that the standard behavior? Powering the unit off, only turns off the outputs IIRC.

7. stewdog1

stewdog1 AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    I know that it turns off double-play and if you are behind on live TV it won't keep it.

8. BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
    Not sure, will have to check when I get home tonight. I know I'll probably just go back to watching each recording individually.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    No, turning the HR "off" normally stops the playback.

Rich

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Never witnessed that before, are you sure your DVR actually turned off, and not the just the tv? I've actually witnessed where using the DTV+power button didnt catch the dvr, or occasionally the tv, one or the other...but come to think of it I almost always stop the show I'm watching before I go to power everything off..just a habit.

11. BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
    Quite sure it was all off, I use a Harmony 700 and have had occasional issues with a device not shutting down but it's usually the A/V unit when the kids fail to be patient. I don't know why I did it this way this time, just tired and lazy I guess, normally I hit stop first and turn the volume down on the receiver so I don't wake anyone when I get up in the morning (I'm always first up).

12. dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Once (a long time ago) one of our DVR's was turned off while playing something back via MRV. We finished watching the show on the DVR it was recording on (no MRV), and when we went to delete it, the DVR complained that the recording was still being viewed in another room. We had to go to the DVR originally used to view the program and delete it from there.

Not the same situation as the OP, but it does suggest that simply turning the DVR off in the middle of playback might be problematic in certain cases.

13. BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
    0x4d1 for the record.

14. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I'll test that tonight.

One Q - Were you watching the recording on the DVR it was recorded on or from another across your MRV Network?

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I usually do that too. Learned my lesson when my baseball games went back to the beginning when I just shut the HR down. I was thinking of "operator error" too. Easy mistake to make with a 24 with the front panel lights shut off. I know it happened on a 23, but still...

Rich

16. BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
    Same unit it was recorded on. I did it again last night just to see what would happen but it did not repeat the behavior. Interesting.

17. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    That certainly would be the design choice.
    Show metadata should also be updated with the Presentation Time Stamp so that it knows where to "resume". I guess if they code all of this in the wrong order it might not get to that task before it shuts down which could abort that update or even abort the playback stop. Anyone who has much familiarity with how OS's handle simultaneous tasks knows that it can handle the order of them differently every time since when a task finishes is based on how busy the CPU is doing other things as well. If it shuts down before it gets a chance to do some of those other tasks, since shut down might be an independent task and not waiting on other tasks, well then what happened seems pretty possible.

That means that it could have been a glitch, or it could have been normal (something that happens only rarely) if coded sloppily. I guess the object lesson is to stop playback manually so that it doesn't have a chance to F up.

One of the behaviors I think is odd is that the buffer will sometimes pause at shut off. IOW, fill the buffer, shut it off, turn it on hours later and you can sometimes rewind into stuff recorded into the buffer the previous day. (or was that the Tivo that did that?)