Apple Is Locking iPhone Batteries to Discourage Repair

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Mark Holtz, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From iFixit:

Apple Is Locking iPhone Batteries to Discourage Repair
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

So, please explain to me again why I should even consider a iToy.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Cause they are better.

Eh you must not like bmw either. They now evidently do the same kind of think and charge about 1000 to change a car battery.

I get them not wanting people to install crappy barrier ones cause then when they fail people blame apple. But they should have an authorized battery repair system for third parties.

It’s all about not wanting to warranty things especially with Apple care if someone else opens something up.

Rich likes this.
  3. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I'm an Android man. I was very close to buying a iPhone as a graduation present to myself at the end of 2010, but did not want to deal with AT&T as the mobile carrier. There were rumors flying that Verizon would be carrying iPhones at that point, but that didn't occur until the following year. I have no regrets, especially with some of the practices such as not allowing alternative mobile browsers or insisting on a hefty cut of in-app purchases. (The Audible app is notable for not allowing purchases from the iPhone app because of the cut). They are also noted that if your iPhone is more than 2-3 model cycles old, it is no longer supported.

Nope... not particularly interested in the "ultimate driving machine", but I also saw that it cost more to maintain. BMW has also said "ja" to the Apple's Carplay, but "nein" to the Android Auto. Android Auto is a requirement if I were shopping for a new car today, much like Bluetooth was a requirement when I was shopping for a car in 2014.

Back to battery.... I really dislike the fact that the mobile phone manufacturers, for the most part, have discontinued the ability to replace the battery by just pulling off the back. What apple is going is making it practically impossible.

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I think what Apple is doing is ridiculous. Batteries typically last about 2 years, maybe start declining after about 18 mos. So the product is long out of 1 yr warranty when the battery needs replacement. The warranty issue is moot.

Imagine having to take your care to the dealer for all service. That's what Apple is up to.
    For cars, car makers cannot legally force you to go to their dealer for service. Its your option. Apple is going to face some lawsuits.

Rich likes this.
  5. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    putting an aftermarket battery in your phone, is just asking for trouble. Apple has to certify that their batteries are safe. If you take your phone on a plane, with an aftermarket battery in it, and it explodes, who are they going to blame? You guessed it, APPLE.

The iPhone is not meant to be opened by consumers. The battery is not meant to be easily replaced.

You can whine all you want, if you don't like it, don't buy one.

Nope, Apple is not going to face any lawsuits. (at least not any that are legitimate)

Rich likes this.
  6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Meant by apple !

And it's pure apple's push of the market … done against of normal treating their customers, who don't like monopolists like apple.
    Imagine if inventors of HDMI, USB, etc components, cables, connectors would follow ?!
    BTW, apple is not battery's maker ! They did evaluation process from a few mfgs, then selected two at least, certified them to be a vendor for them;
    why the same factories [Sony, LG, etc] cannot make more from same assembly line already certified by apple ? And sell them to customers who like to have affordable solution instead of pay $$$$ for new iToy or extra orbital place for apple monopolized repair service ?

That you points means nothing to real market rules.

7. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    I’ve owned (4) iPhones: 3GS (2009), 5 (2012), 6 (2014), X (2017). So typically every three years, mostly cause I’m kind of a geek and like or think I need the latest features. The only time I’ve needed a new battery was with the 5 near the end of its life, but it was part of a defective battery batch and they replaced it for free, I then sold it for $100 more than other 5’s were going for at the time. When I sold my 6 to a friend I told them they should take advantage of the $29 battery replacement Apple was offering (tough to beat that). I also don’t baby my iPhone and use it to track my skiing over 100 days each season, which uses GPS for up to 6 or 7 hours a day.

While I don’t applaud Apple taking the battery replacement market away from users and mall guys, I think the ultimate question is whether the user will end up with a better battery, possibility a better replacement job/warranty, and how much more they’ll pay for it. I did open my 3GS to put a toggle switch cap back on, and once replaced the digitizer on an iPad, though I probably wouldn’t do it any more. I would hope that if Apple is now forcing the user to use their replacement service that it’s priced reasonably and easily available.

I’ve been using Apple products since my Apple ][+ in 1980, so I am a fanboy, but I like that there’s competition from Android as thats what makes both products better. As the OP is an admitted ‘Android guy’, his view of Apple is biased, and while I do still like to be able to upgrade my devices (which Apple tends to discourage), it would take a lot more than this to change my opinion of their products and generally excellent tech.

Rich likes this.
  8. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I've been using the Apple battery in my iPad Mini for about five years now with virtually no problems. It may need recharging more often than four years ago, but that's about the only concern. I also have an iPhone and AppleTV, but my desktop and laptop computers run Windows. Mac is just too expensive and proprietary.

9. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I don’t blame you on the att part alone, especially back then. Also, There coverage in my area is better today though than it used to be.

Not sure where you heard they do t allow other mobile browsers. They do, and there not are quite a few of them.

This fall with the r lease of ios13 they will have at least 8 generations fo phones that are still supported on the latest software, and they do not make old phones stop working, they just can’t get anything new. Not sure where you heard they are toast after 2 or 3 cycles. I have a bigger issue with a lot of the android phones for that exact reason, they don’t get regular updates. The better ones generally do but all to many are one and done really.

I said the thing about bmw just as an example that Apple isn’t the only one going to that process. Personally I won’t buy another car that doesn’t have both android and Apple car play. There just isn’t an excuse for that these days.

As far as the cut thing goes, it doesn’t really affect you does it? I’ve never heard of an app for sale cheaper on android vs Apple due to the cut. I get why companies force you to go to their web site to by things and then play in the actual app to avoid that cut, and that’s fine with me. I don’t buy enough stuff that way for it to concern me.

I was very much that way as well on the batteries too, but I’m over it now. I haven’t had a battery problem on anything that makes me want to swap batteries on the go, and I’d rather carry a battery pack charger than an actual spare battery, I feel they are less delicate.and my batteries last many years. I have yet to have one die actually.

I do know Apple has some new process coming with ios13 on how it will charge your batteries to help them last even longer as well, and I suspect that everyone will be doing the same within a couple years, if others aren’t already doing it.

10. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From Firefox for iOS - Wikipedia:
    Essentially, the underlying browser engine is still the same engine as Safari.

It's not the application cost itself, but purchases made through the application. The Audible application is a "free" download from both stores, but you have to purchase the audiobooks. From the iOS perspective, all intangible goods (music, game credits, books, etc) purchased on iPhone must be charged through the Apple App Store payment offering which includes a 30% fee to Apple. That's a hefty cut into the margins, so Audible (Amazon) does not allow the purchase through the iOS app.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is Apple's product. If you don't like their rules, buy someone else's product.

We go through the same challenge when buying Microsoft products with an EULA. Other software manufacturers have followed suit. There are all sorts of terms and conditions that people agree to when they buy those products.

Apple is allowing authorized repair and there is a program in place to train people and provide authorized parts. If you disagree with the way Apple manages their products there are other vendors for the type of equipment they sell.

12. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006

Try out opera coast. Nice little browser.

And again, other than having to use a browser for purchases from a couple stores on a few things I don’t see a problem. Could be a bit of a me thing though because I rarely buy things like movies and such that are streaming where that kind of thing is an issue. Actually I can’t even recall the last time I did.