1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple reliability?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by roadrunner1782, Oct 29, 2009.

1. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I have a few Apple Ipod's, a third generation ipod nano, and a second gen ipod touch. I've had the nano for a about two years and the touch for about 6 months. I was kind of curious what others opinions were on the reliability of these and other Apple products? I've never had any issues with the Ipod touch and the nano has only frozen a time or two that a reset fixed and both of these are used daily. They have been very reliable products for me, especially the nano since it gets heavy use and has been subject to a few drops, summer heat in the car, cold weather, pocket lint, and it still holds a great charge and works just like the day I bought it! I was also curious about Apple computers since I plan to buy one at the start of the year. How reliable are they? Anyone have any experience with the Mac Mini? Is it hard to learn the interface on a mac after always using windows? Is it hard to use the mac interface and windows on a daily basis? Sorry for all the questions but I know I'll get good info here and please don't turn this into a Mac vs. Windows thread!

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    I've had a refurb Powermac and display for 6 years and they still go strong.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    As a rule, Macs tend to use higher-grade (not the same as higher performance; I'm talking about individual component QUALITY) parts, just as most business-line computers tend to do, and for the same reason: most of these computers will have few-to-zero "upgrades" during their lifetime, and will run as-is for 4-5 years as front-line computers.

A consumer-line PC is typically filled with somewhat lower-grade (though possibly higher-performing) parts, allowing the computer to be sold for significantly less money. Another reason for the lower price is that these bargain computers come with poor (i.e., off-shore) or extremely limited support, while business-line computers and Macs come with US-based support.

All moaning aside, Windows and OSX are both mature, robust and stable OSs. The difference is that while Windows users have the option to get a low-cost and possibly less reliable computer to run the OS on, Mac users have only the "business-quality-and-price" option for their hardware.

4. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I purchased a Mac Mini for my daughter and she likes it. The interface really isn't that hard to learn. It takes a few days but over time you will wonder why you did Windows in the first place (OK, so I'm a Mac fan. I have 4 macs. :) ).

As far as reliability, I couldn't really say. I have PC's that I built that are still going strong. The Macs do tend to have a quality "feel" to them. Whether or not they are actually better quality is in the eyes of the user. I personally like the design of their products.

Best I can tell you is try it. The Mac Mini is a great low cost intro to their hardware and software. As mentioned before, the support is also very good.

5. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I have a 2006 original MacBook pro refurb that has never had any issues. My daughters 2006 Gateway laptop and my HP 3100 desktop are both dead. Both DVD drives and the photo card reader died in the HP a couple of years ago. It is also such a treat to talk to HP support in India. :( I now have an I Mac and a new Macbook Pro and will never go back to windows. My daughter did have a 2005 I-Pod that died earlier this year.

6. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    +1 on the HP support. I had to call them last year and it was horrific! My Dell laptop has been holding up pretty good, so no complaints with it.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I have been drinking the Mac-uses-better-parts Kool-Aid... but as Chris says, I have a PC that I've been using since 2002 that is still going strong, though a bit slow when compared to my iMac.

I do think the Macs are designed/built to be more reliable... but that doesn't mean there aren't some bad Apples in the bunch :)

8. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    My old 5 year old powerbook is still going strong. The original battery still holds an hour charge. I gave it to my sister when I bought my new MacBook and she's pleased as punch with it. The wife's 4 year old iPod works just fine too. I really haven't had any trouble with Apple stuff.

On the PC side, my 8 year old Dell tower also still works just fine, albeit slowly. At work, we have 9 year old Dell towers that run 24 hrs/day in an industrial environment and have had some hard drive issues, but no other component problems. I can hardly find fault in that.

I try to buy quality stuff and it usually lasts as long as I expect it to.

9. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    Made the "full" conversion 1.5 years ago from PC to iMac and will never go back.

Our household:
    - iMac
    - 2, 32 gig iPhone 3Gs
    - 2, 8 gig iphone 2G (now used as an iPod in the glovebox of my truck, managed to get 1,700 songs on it!)
    - 1, 120 gig iPod Classic that holds all 65 gig of my wife's iTunes library
    - Early 2010: Macbook Pro

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm no Mac fan, to be sure, but their desktops are server-grade as far as reliability. Fair enough, since they cost as much as PC servers.

11. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Noone really answered your question as to switching back and forth between the interfaces. I do this on a daily, or more closely, on an hourly basis. It really doesn't take that much getting used to, though there are a couple of things that I sometimes have to stop and think about what I'm doing.

There is one thing that I have to give kudos above and beyond to Apple is the touchpad (and now the MagicMouse) interface. Scrolling and zooming become second nature and soooo easy, that a standard mouse or touchpad feels a bit archaic.

12. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Very quality stuff and awesome support. I had a Mac Mini for a little over a year, and passed it on to my mom when I got the 24" iMac. I've also had/have 2 macbooks, an Apple TV, an Airport Extreme, and several iPhones. Only one issue in all these pieces. The mac mini's motherboard bit the dust about 6 months after I bought it. It was swapped out under warranty and I had it back 4 hours later.

As far as switching between Windows and OSX.. It's easy as pie. You're obviously already used to Windows, and I don't think you'll have any trouble getting used to OSX. And there will be several things that will cause you to think to yourself: "Why doesn't Windows work this way??" :grin:

I work in IT. I support Windows all day. When I come home, I want something that just works. :)

/Apple Fanboy

13. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    I have owed no less than 20 Apple computers in the last 20 years. Never had a single one fail including the hard drive. Some have been in service for up to 8 years. You name it I have probably owned it at one time. They make good stuff. Expensive stuff but good stuff.

14. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    This was one of my main concerns, if switching back and forth was a hassle. A friend of mine just purchased a Mac Book Pro and was telling me he has zero issue with using both on a daily basis. I know when I purchase my Mac Mini, I will be using both on a daily basis since my laptop is a Windows machine.

15. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    This is why I've never really looked at owning a Mac computer. I would look at the price of a Mac and usually look the other way. I've changed my mind on that since I'm so happy with my ipods, and a couple of my friends have bought Mac computers and have been telling me how good they are. I keep asking them what they like best about the computers and everytime I'm told the same thing, "They just plain work!"

16. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Quite simply put: the Apple business model of closed architecture makes it easier to provide a (nearly) bulletproof operating system. The hardware platform is simpler because of Apple's early embracing of Motorola processors rather than Intel's. IBM's decision to go with an open architecture for the PC resulted in a nightmarish hardware mix that exists even today. That hasn't stopped me from being a PC user. We tend to stick with products we're familiar with. ;)

17. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    I had had enough of my PC last December and finally bought a Macbook Pro. I have had no issues with it other than trying to find a workaround for an HP printer driver - which I found. I also go back and forth between my Mac and a PC. No problems except that once you get used to the Mac touchpad - which has some sweet features, you like it and try it on the PC. I just upgraded to Windows 7 and it appears it has some new touchpad functionality similar to the Mac but I haven't played around with it yet. Bottom line - I love my mac but keep my PC due to cheapness with having to buy a couple of applications I need for the Mac.

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    To be fair... IBM only half-decided to go with "open" architecture.

They originally farmed out the development of an operating system... and passed on the opportunity to buy out Bill Gates in the early days, in favor of trying their own hand at PC-DOS and OS/2 operating systems...

But... IBM tried very hard to keep the hardware closed-architecture when the early clones started popping up. IBM lost those lawsuits, though, and since they had already passed on the operating system... it opened up the door for mass adoption at lower overall prices for the "PC"-architecture.

Meanwhile it was in large part Apple's decision to keep everything in-house that kept clones to a bare minimum... which in turn helps keep value/prices high for Apple hardware/software combo... and keeps competitors out of the market and thus so far a smaller share of the overall market.

19. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Dump the PC get yourself a copy of VMWare Fusion 3, that and a copy of Win 7 and you can have the best of both worlds on one machine. Version 3 of Fusion was just released last week and its much better than version 2 was. You have your choice of running it in 32-bit or 64-bit. I have to have it due to some websites that I need to access only playing nice with IE (gag) and none of the Mac browers.

20. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I'm running this exact setup. VMWare Fusion is great for running Windows 7 on the Mac (In a virtual machine). A lot of people don't realize that just because you buy a Mac doesn't mean you have to give up Windows completely.