Apple TV 4K

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by sigma1914, Feb 4, 2019.

1. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I have never been an Apple person but this box is probably the very best streaming device that I have used. I've used the newest Rokus and FireTVs - the ATV picture quality and sound can't be beat. It's also a big plus that it's one of the few devices that carries Dolby Atmos for Netflix content with it.

2. rccoleman

rccoleman AllStar

Oct 10, 2007
    And Dolby Vision. I'm a little frustrated by their Netflix Atmos support because it's not properly labeled or consistent throughout the interface. Sometimes the top-level thumb will say "Atmos" and sometimes just "5.1". Then sometimes the "detail" screen for a program will say "Atmos" and sometimes just "5.1". To be sure, I have to play the content and then ask my receiver what it's playing. They added Atmos with a software release sometime last year and the Apple TV Netflix app still seems to be confused about it. The Netflix app on my LG TV (C8 OLED) correctly labels the Atmos titles everywhere and I can play them via ARC, so sometimes I just go that route.

3. codespy

codespy The Pack is getting sacked!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    We love our Apple TV 4K's, especially with the Dolby Vision/Atmos support. I also have a Phillips Upscaling DVD with DV/DA support too, and have an Onkyo 9.2 tuner/amplifier for our theater room for movies, etc. which it plays on. I use the remote control app on my phone, it's a little better than the stock remote. Not that the stock remote is bad though......

Since the kids had iPod's to start early on, then we got an iPad, then iPhones, we committed to Apple and do the whole family sharing thing with music, movies, etc. It only made sense to stick with the brand interface for controlling the TV.

The kids are not happy though that we can monitor Screen Time with the iOS 12 update..........

Everyone seems to enjoy AirPlay with the iOS devices and AppleTV on our big screen TV!