1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple TV and Friday night

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Chris Blount, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Has anyone noticed that when you try to rent a movie on Apple TV (through iTunes) on Friday evenings, it takes forever to download? At first I though it was my local provider but now I'm starting to think that everyone and their mothers are renting on Friday night. Every other day of the week is fine.

2. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Haven't rented anything from Apple, since I mostly stay with NetFlix, but that does sound like an interesting philosophy. Wonder if there's a way to check it out!

3. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I rented Burlesque last Friday (12th) about 8:30pm local and had no issues at all. I actually was impressed with the picture quality and speed of the download. It was my first paid download.

4. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    That's funny. So did we and on the same night. The download actually worked well that night. You picked a good week.

I rent movies on the Apple TV all the time. The PQ and sound are always top notch. Blu-Ray is obviously better but iTunes downloads are quite good if you don't want to wait a month to rent the Blu-Ray through Netflix.

5. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    We never went the Blu-ray route. Our main TV is a 2008 model Sony 52" XBR4. We have a good number of DVD's and I purchased a Sony DAV-X10 Theater in a Box set up at the same time we got the TV. It meets our needs very well.

My wife is not very accepting of new formats ever since I jumped on the BetaMax band wagon in the early 80's. :) Although I am sure Blu-Ray looks and sounds great, We were not ready to spend the extra $$ for Blu-Ray.

My wife is now hooked on RedBox. Almost every weekend she will find something she likes there and we have 5 machines less then a mile from the house. This is why it took us 6 months to order on the Apple TV. There was finally a movie she wanted to see that was not available at Red-Box!

Another reason we do not order a lot of movies from Apple or DirecTV is our daughter is a theater manager. We have not paid for a movie at a local theater for over 7 years. We usually go every Sunday night and visit her and see a movie. She will even adjust the picture and sound for us if needed!

After seeing IMAX 3D for free and sometimes having the theaters all to ourselves, you can see why I might be ho-hum about Blu-ray!

BTW, she also takes me in the booth and lets me thread the projectors or start the movies on the digital projectors. She knows her dad is a geek and she likes to impress me with her technical knowledge!

6. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    I am so jelous. That's awesome! It's good to have children in the theater business. :)

I think even if I had access to a theater like that I would still use Blu-Ray and Apple TV. The fact that I have to get up off my lazy butt would turn me off in some cases. There are times during the week that I want to watch a movie but don't want to leave the house even to drive to a Red Box less than a mile away. But that's just me. ;) I still envy you though. That sounds like a great way enjoy movies and get to go behind the scenes. Must be a lot of fun.

7. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I am sooo envious! Why didn't I think of pushing one of my kiddos in the direction of 'theater management'. What a great perk! Congrats! :)