Apple TV+ Launches November 1 with $4.99/mo Subscription

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by B. Shoe, Sep 11, 2019.

Do you plan to subscribe to Apple TV+?

This poll will close on Sep 25, 2019 at 2:04 PM.
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Apple announced at its September 10 product program that Apple TV+ will launch on November 1, with a $4.99/mo. subscription price.

Apple TV Plus release date, price info and everything you need to know | TechRadar

The article reads that those buying Apple products will receive a one-year subscription to Apple TV+, but does not state if there is a grace period for those that may have recently purchased Apple products.

Will you buy in on Apple TV+?

2. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I bought a refurbished 9.7-inch iPad three weeks ago. Don't know if that makes me eligible for a free year of Apple TV+.

B. Shoe likes this.
  3. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    It's a great question. I purchased a new iPhone 10 days ago and am curious myself.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    ask Tim ;)

B. Shoe likes this.
  5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sounds like you'd have to buy a new device and the Apple TV+ would be a throw in.

Rich

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Timing is everything! The deal was started on 9/9 so those that bought before that don’t get the freebie year. But they could return the item if it is within the return window and purchase again.

BTW, the deal is for new and Apple refurbished items on the list. Mac, iPhone, iPod, and AppleTV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rich likes this.
  7. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Can I return my Apple TV and/or iPhone and just re-buy the same one? I'll just pay the $5/month, if it means that or setting up a whole new device again. :)

8. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Good question. I suppose you might be able to do that if you bought in a store. I suspect you won’t be able to though.

B. Shoe likes this.
  9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You only get about two weeks after purchase to return them to the Apple store IIRC.

Rich

B. Shoe likes this.
  10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I wasn't planning to subscribe to AppleTV+ anyway. Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Acorn provide enough streaming for me. My Roku TV has many other streaming channels too.

lparsons21 and B. Shoe like this.
  11. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    My 2nd gen Apple TV died a few weeks ago. It just refused to power ON. Looks like a good time to get the newest generation.

B. Shoe likes this.
  12. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I think the secret to streaming and saving money is to break the mold of watching the latest on the various cable and broadcast channels. For me that is hard to do.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Try taking that ATV to an Apple Store. I had a similar problem with one that was out of warranty and they fixed it and didn't charge me anything. Don't let that stop you from getting a new 4K ATV, they are great.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, once you truly disengage from the Guide, any Guide, you can save a bundle. In fact, watching television could cost 15 bucks a month...in total. But I get it. It's hard to do.

Rich

15. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Why stop at $15? You could have it be $0 if you can stand ads. An amazing amount of content is out there for the viewing for no subscription cost.

For me during the day, the free ad supported ones are fine as I’m generally not engrossed in watching. And even when I have cable/sat, I also have Netflix, Amazon and Hulu. Amazon is essentially free since I would have it even if I didn’t use the video. Netflix & Hulu together are about $27 with no ads.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Can't stand commercials. Well, I should say I can't stand repetitive commercials. Really don't like commercials on apps where I can't FF thru them.

Rich

17. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    If it's not a recording we're watching I use the mute button during commercials. Sometimes it's difficult to discover the sponsor's name until the commercial has nearly ended. It's kind of fun to try guessing who the sponsor is.

18. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Amazon’s imdb ad supported free service isn’t too bad about repeating ads, certainly not as bad as Hulu’s ad version.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't take my opinions on commercials the wrong way. I enjoy them when I watch them. Seeing them over and over kinda sucks the joy out of the room.

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Such an interesting site, why don't they have an ad free option? That could be a huge site managed correctly.

Rich