Apple Tv or Roku?

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by williammck, Oct 11, 2010.

1. williammck

williammck Mentor

Jul 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Should I get a Apple TV, Roku, or bluray player?
    What type of Roku? What are the pros/cons?
    We are going to upgrade our system in the family room in the near future.

Thanks!

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It depends what you want to watch/stream.

3. williammck

williammck Mentor

Jul 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    We are big netflix people, but what is iTunes's selection of movies, and what is Roku's selection?

4. williammck

williammck Mentor

Jul 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Edit: what is roku's selection of channels?
    What are the features in the apple tv/roku?

5. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Apple shows/movies will cost you. I'd recommend a Blu-Ray player with Netflix.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Be sure you look at the new Rokus. If you plan on having it wired to your network, and with HDMI, I'd look at the $79 XD.

The XD can do 1080p video when things really come out for it, it has Pandora, MLB and other channels, as well as Amazon Video. Hulu Plus is coming.

AppleTV does iTunes of course. In the future it might do apps. Both do Netflix.

Roku's channels
    http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store

7. williammck

williammck Mentor

Jul 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    We have a huge DVD collection though, and we don't really want to re-buy DVDs for bluray.

8. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    DVDs play on BR players. IMO, having a HDTV not playing BRs is wasting technology. You said you are big on Netflix...get BR discs.

9. williammck

williammck Mentor

Jul 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    We also get adequate wireless coverage in our family room. We have two brick walls between the router and the TV (wine cellar). I have tried power line adapters too, does not work. We do not want to move the router either. What settings can I change on our wireless-n linksys router to make the signal better?
    I'll follow up on this this weekend, but maybe in a new post.

10. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Basically, the Roku player gives you more options. It has access to more "channels" such as Amazon VOD and Netflix.

The Apple TV is good if you like iTunes and their selection of movies and TV shows. Apple TV also does Netflix and pretty well I might add.

Some Blu-Ray players also have access to Netflix, Amazon and other "channels" like the Roku box. It really depends on which Blu-Ray player you buy.

You might seriously think about a Blu-Ray player. It may be a good all in one box for you and will play Blu-Rays if you choose to rent or purchase them.

11. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    Then don't......All my DVD's play on my blu-ray players. Even look better than I remember since newer equipment (which includes blu-ray players) usually upconvert your picture resolution to 1080p instead of watching them in the original 480p.

I still buy "regular" DVD's, record even more myself. I buy movies on Blu-Ray too......depends on what the movie is, or how much the Blu-Ray is.

12. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    I'm feeding my main "setup" in my family room via powerline adapters, upstairs is fed wifi.

If you aren't getting strong enough wifi signal, not much you can do to tweak your router, might move it around a little to see if small changes help. I'd try finding some AC plugs on the same circuit that were closer to where you want to watch and use powerline adapters feeding a game adapter (which is provides wifi).

Is your DVR hooked up to the internet now????? If so, the other ethernet port you see on the back is a passthrough and can feed another device (I feed interent to my PS3 through my DVR).

I checked your setup through and unless You've upgraded your internet service I'd say (personal opinion) that you are at the very bottom end of what it would take to stream content. You would probably be OK streaming standard definition stuff, but if your tried streaming HD stuff you'll probably experience rebuffer pauses continually. For HD stuff you probably need to be running at least a 6mbps sustainable connect speed, to get that you probably need 12mbps service.

13. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    Blu-Ray player (if your don't already have one) is the way to go. Prices are pretty good, I got a Best Buy store brand with wifi late last year for $118, I see it selling all the time now for $127, have seen Samsung players priced about the same.

These players tend to offer larger selections of program/service options with firmware updates as time goes by. They also do the "all in one" thing you mentioned.

14. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Buy the new Oppo blu-ray player. It will stream Netflix. Plus, Oppo is the best on the planet for up-converting DVD.

15. flexoffset

flexoffset Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    If you are deeply vested in Apple products (iPod Touch/iPhone) or you have a lot of content already on iTunes then get AppleTV.
    I fit that category so I went with the AppleTV and am not disappointed. The Netflix user interface is fantastic. I control it with my iPhone. I also trusted Apple to 'get it right' so I wouldn't have to tinker around with stuff to get it to work. it hooked right up to my Linksys WRT610 wi-fi; smooth sailing so far.

Otherwise, the Roku does seem nice.
    It seems the other services Roku offers are paid subscriptions that I wouldn't likely use anyway. That's another reason I made the AppleTV my first choice.

I'd imagine for streaming Netflix you can't go wrong with either one.

16. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Roku also has the ability to add "private" channels. Private only means they are not an "official" Roku channel and do not show up in the channel store. You add them by entering a special code for each on your account at Roku's website. Roku is actually having a contest right now for private channel developers.

For instance, Roku doesn't have an "official" YouTube channel, but there is a private one that is as good as something you would find from Roku. The channel even does HD.

You can see most of the available "Private" channels here: http://www.roku-channels.com/

17. OneOfOne

OneOfOne Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    if you get this:

http://www.uebo.net/Default.asp

you can make digital copies of your dvds [iso] and play them from you NAS or put a hard drive in it and stream it with wireless N or ethernet. of course this means you should OWN your dvds but it also means that your kids or you wont destroy them. also it plays just about any digital format. pretty much hard to argue for apple tv or roku once you see this thing in action. yes I own one with the wireless dongle and its as advertised.