Apple TV revamp coming in June with Siri and App Store

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Athlon646464, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Apple TV revamp coming in June with Siri and App Store

(engadget.com) - The company is reportedly planing to announce a new Apple TV at its Worldwide Developer Conference in June, according to Buzzfeed. And yes, sources say it'll pack in just about everything you've been hoping for: a real App Store, Siri-powered voice commands, and the usual spec bumps (including the new A8 processor and more storage). Nothing's confirmed just yet, but it certainly makes sense that we'll see a new Apple TV at WWDC, especially since we're hearing Apple's planning to debut its long-awaited TV service and Beats-powered streaming music service soon....

Full Story Link & Discussion Here

[​IMG]

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    One thing I think would be neat to see... since Apple likes people to have lots of Apple hardware in their environment... Many of us with Macs have our iTunes libraries already on an external hard drive... so it would be nice to have a USB connection on an Apple TV so that you could directly connect an external drive with your iTunes library and have it just work.

You can already stream from your computer as long as you have sharing enabled and have iTunes running on the computer... but it would also be nice sometimes to just take the hard drive and plug it into the Apple TV and let the computer rest. Would also be good for taking on the road with you too.

2 people like this.
  3. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    Too bad that Apple TV could not be updated to have these features.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I am also hoping for 4k support and think that's another thing they have been waiting on to be honest.

1 person likes this.
  5. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    My wish list is an App Store that has Plex, 4k, and DTS surround sound. Adding Amazon Prime would be great also, but I understand they want to steer us toward Apple content instead. Some sorta HDMI CEC features would be nice, that automatically changed my inputs on My Pioneer AVR. I really like my ATV.

1 person likes this.
  6. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I just hope all tv channel apps that are on iOS devices will be available now on appletvs. That would make my life so much easier.

7. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1

And offer internal storage large enough to hold all your music so that people not so tech savy could "plug and play" without having to worry about an external HD. Then also be able to control it from an iPad or iPhone which could have a full iTunes program running on it, at least better than the music apps we have now on them.

But YES, I've been saying this for years.

8. lovswr

lovswr Godfather

Jan 12, 2004
    Riverview, FL
    This would be my hope as well.

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    iTunes Match holds 25,000 tracks in the cloud, if that will help. There is a small subscription fee.

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I never had one... but didn't earlier Apple TV models have internal storage? I thought that they did... and then that was removed.

I would be ok if they didn't include built-in storage... as long as it had USB, I could stick thumb drives on there and swap them out for the purposes you describe... then have larger EHDs for movies and stuff.

11. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Can it play stuff directly off a Time capsule? That would be most logical
    IMHO.

12. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    sure. But most folks use time capsule for back ups.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Well use it for both. Assuming the time capsule Is connected via the network.

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Since the time capsule is part of the router, I would imagine is always connected to the network.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

15. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    As far as I know the current AppleTV can not play files off the Time Capsule directly. You have to have a computer somewhere in the house with iTunes running, and home sharing on. Then that iTunes library has to be linked to the Time Capsule in order to play the files off it.

I believe there are network drives available from other companies that can act as an itunes server, but not the Apple Time Capsules. This is one thing many Apple fans wish that Apple would allow.

I had a phone interview with Apple last summer and actually brought this up with them when they asked me about ideas I would like to implement in Apple products if I had the chance. I also said I would create an Apple TV RVU server that was like a large version of the Apple TV with large hard drive built in and serving up content to any RVU TVs you might have. Then they could also have small RVU client HDMI dongles to add to TVs that were not RVU compliant. The engineers I interviewed with seemed very interested. It would kind of tick me off if that is what is happening now though, ha ha ha.

16. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    If I were speculating, and I am, I'd suppose that RVU type idea was the kind of system that they were planning before the TW merger threw a wrench in the works. Whatever is coming next is going to be a sort of Plan B for Apple. There are lots of articles out there that Comcast was stringing Apple along while they launched their X1 contraption.

17. Skyboss

Skyboss Icon

Jan 22, 2004
    I'd be happy with Vudu, 4K and 7.1 audio. A full store would be nice though. Imagine checking in for a flight on your TV.

18. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I just want to be able to stream from all the tv apps without having to air play some of them.

19. john262

john262 AllStar

Oct 26, 2011
    That headline is false. Apple did not announce any upgrades to Apple TV. Now the speculation is that it will happen this fall.

20. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    We're looking at a whale of a fall event.. They'll probably announce the iOS 9 date, the iPad Pro, the iPhone 6s and the revamped Apple TV on top of all that.