1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Approved dish mounting options...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jcr159, Nov 8, 2011.

1. jcr159

jcr159 Mentor

Feb 15, 2010
    Sorry if this has been asked before...

Can anyone point me to, or explain if there is a DirecTv standard for mounting a dish? I was a long time customer, built a house, and switched to UVerse... Contemplating the switch back since things have settled, but looking at the installs in my development, most are literally bolted to the sides of the houses crushing the siding...

Clearly this isn't a good install/proper way to do it... I'm trying to determine whether to take matters into my own hands and prep a mount ahead of time, or if the "standard installation", read, free installation, will suit my needs... Seems that if the installer can't just come in and pound out the install, they try to charge additional fees... want to be prepped up front for that...

So, is there any standard that DirecTv makes installers follow that should help me know what the installer will likely do?

BTW, a roof mount is not really an option...

Thanks!

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Side of the house is most common. Pole mount is an (extra cost) option if they can't mount it on the side of the house.

3. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    well if you are getting an hd dish there are a few standards. It either goes on an asphalt shingled roof, a brick or block wall, or a pole mount. They arent supposed to be installed on vinyl siding at all. The normal charge for a pole mount is 75 dollars. If You have line of site and a place to put a pole that is the best option for you. Its a 2 inch pole they have to dig a hole 2-3 ft deep and cement it into the ground and mount the dish onto that. If you are ok with that it isnt even worth the hassle trying to prep anything just let him do it.

4. jcr159

jcr159 Mentor

Feb 15, 2010
    Thx for the responses... For $75, it's not worth my trouble, and at least I know now.... I wonder if the side mounts were self install, though I can't believe someone would mash up their siding like that....

Do I need to specify when ordering that I'm requesting a pole mount installation? Would that speed up the process? Or is that type of request ignored, kinda like the "I want an HR-24" requests?

5. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    pole mounts are free if required for line of site...if it is customer request then you get charged...and it dsnt speed the scheduling....:(

6. mdburpo

mdburpo New Member

Nov 11, 2011
    I never charge to pole mount, even if I can mount on a roof with no LOS obstruction. A pole mount is faster to do and easier to service than a roof mount. I'm more than happy to keep the dish close to the ground where any future calls can leave the ladder on the truck.

Also, we're not supposed to mount on the side of a house or the fascia, even with an 18" dish.

7. jcr159

jcr159 Mentor

Feb 15, 2010
    Wow, ok, that's the type of info I was hoping to pick up... Just looking at how bad the mount looks, I figured it wasn't typical to just bolt the dish right to the siding.... I guess, since I'm not the expert, I'll let the installer give me options, and go from there. Though if he or she is recommending or insisting on mounting to my siding, I think I'll defer and find another installer (even if I have to pay more).