Are all CSR's Stupid or What?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Tim Godsil, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1 of 48
    Tim Godsil

Tim Godsil Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    Im sure you all remember my previous post about Trying to get an new HD receiver out of Directv?

Well If you dont... I bought a old samsung HDTV off ebay to use to add hd acess to, well Directv told me that I have to spend 170 for a new HD receiver.

1st CSR: Tells me that you just cant swap out a receiver, it has to be upgraded.

Oh Really? Then how did my old Tivo get swapped with a R22 at no cost? It couldnt of been because of the MPEG-4 Local channel update??

2nd CSR: Tells me the same thing basicly, so I ask to speak to her supervisor.

Supervisor Eric: Tells me that HD has always been mpeg-4, NO! Thats not correct!

I tell him that this samsung isnt MPEG-4 compliant. He said that its ok, It will still pick up HD. NO It will not!! There isn't hardly any Mpeg-2 HD channels left.

I kindly explain to him that this receiver will not work with a slimline, Ka, or Mpeg 4.

He says let me check something. So he goes to punch something in and he informs me that this receiver will no longer work for HD. REALLY? Isnt that what I have been trying to tell you for the past hour??

So he set a tech out to come saturday with my new HD recveiver.

Has training at Directv really got that bad? Is there any explanation to why I get told misinformation almost every time I call?

2. Jan 7, 2010 #2 of 48
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If the choices are "stupid" and "what" I guess I'd opt for "what." There are uninformed CSRs, and I'll freely admit there are more than there should be.

3. Jan 7, 2010 #3 of 48
    Tim Godsil

Tim Godsil Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    Which is why I think Directv needs to do a better job of traning.

4. Jan 7, 2010 #4 of 48
    islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I can definitely say that DirecTV's CSRs are the worst I ever deal with. I don't know if they are, in fact, the worst out there, but of all the companies I deal with I'd have to put DirecTV's at the worst (with Sprint as the best).

5. Jan 7, 2010 #5 of 48
    Tim Godsil

Tim Godsil Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    When I had dish a few years ago, any time I called Tech support, I always reached a foreign call center,

6. Jan 7, 2010 #6 of 48
    JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    As human beings, I doubt they are stupid. But I do think a very large number of them are poorly trained and/or just don't give a crap. I went through CSR hell myself very recently, after having successfully avoided calling them for nearly 2 years. I was shocked at the decline.

7. Jan 7, 2010 #7 of 48
    Tim Godsil

Tim Godsil Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    They arent stupid in the head, they just are stupid when it comes to Directv.

8. Jan 7, 2010 #8 of 48
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Believe me, I'm an expert on the difference between "stupid" and "poorly trained." In my experience with DIRECTV I have come across poorly trained people now and again, but no stupid ones. On the other hand I have routinely met brilliant ones.

9. Jan 7, 2010 #9 of 48
    dhines

dhines Godfather

Aug 16, 2006
    (referring to the OP) is it really called for to refer to them as 'stupid'? honestly, i think you could have found a better way to make your point.

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I won't go through all the details, "but" my last [2 hour] call to HP support for software that didn't come with their new DVD burner, has set a new level of [low] "support".
    I used to think Sony set the "gold standard" for support, but nope, they suck too.
    This just seems to be the way all companies seem to have gone. :nono:

11. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Not to get off topic. Verizon Wireless is the worst. If you get a phone under a 2 year contract and the phones messes up and it's not THAT phone but that MODEL and ask if they can assist you. They kindly say nope. You are stuck with what you have. D* will atleast try Verizon could care less.

12. Syzygy

Syzygy Hall Of Fame

Dec 5, 2005
    To try to answer the question "Are all CSR's Stupid or What?"...

(1) CSRs at the first (triage) level don't make much money.
    (2) They don't get a lot of training, mostly just a script to read from.
    (3) Because they don't make much money, they tend not to have DVRs -- just receivers, if that.

In spite of all these preconditions for failure, the depressed economy has forced a lot of smart, knowledgable people to take entry-level CSR jobs. I've encountered quite a few of them, and it's always like a breath of fresh air when I do.

13. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Did you mention the Free Local 72 swap at any time? As soon as you do that they normally understand what's going on.

14. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Maybe they had to cut back on paying for training since more and more people arn't paying their bills. :rolleyes:

15. tralfaz

tralfaz Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Oct 31, 2009
    Sadly, I remember all your threads.

16. xylo

xylo Cool Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Yes. I also remember you saying you didn't have money to buy your D* bill due to all the PPV you ordered. As well as buy all orders of old recievers off of ebay, asking all sorts of odd questions on obsolete hardware. And if you're the same Tim Godsil, this is pretty much the same thing you did a few years back re E* equipment on the SatelliteGuys forum before you where (apparently? I dunno really) banned.

Wait a sec, there's kids on my front lawn again. Back in a bit. :grin:

17. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004

It hasn't "gotten" that bad, it has always been that bad, truly dtv training sucks , I have stated this numberous times and most supervisors are totally clueless,(at least at the outsourced call center I worked at). You are better off talking to a csr about some things. Believe me or not, even the trainers are clueless, of course none of this is the fault of the employee, ( they're not really stupid) it is completely the fault of dtv training practices. Topics such as how the whole satellite system works is not ever touched upon in training, if you asked a trainer, yes I said a trainer, what Geosynchronus orbit is, they would look at you like you were crazy, (I know this, because i did this when I was in training, lol). Forget about odd/even polarity or things like what distant networks are, and what sherva /shvaa means....I could go on and on.. but I'll stop for now...

18. Tim Godsil

Tim Godsil Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    I didnt have enough money because I Lost my job.

I bought 1 Directv receiver off ebay, the other one I cancelled the order on, I thought the person I bought the 1st one from wasnt able to get his account out of collections.

I asked questions about hardware, sometimes obsolete, because thats how people learn

I got banned from satellite guys because someone thought I had asked a question about hacking, when come to find out, they misread my post.

Do you work for Directv too?

19. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    OK, let's back down a little bit. Rudeness will not be tolerated on this forum. Tim Godsil is entitled to his opinion, and although I don't share it, I respect it. Also, his status here is not contingent on whether or not he was banned at any other forum.

All I'm asking is that you be fair and respectful of each other.

20. Tim Godsil

Tim Godsil Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    Thanks.

Now getting back on subject, is there a special phone number to reach the card department? They seem to be the smartest bunch working there.

I understand that alot of people who phone in are people who just watch tv, and may know nothing about Directv, how it works, etc.

So is there some sort of number to dial up more skilled people? Its alot easier to speak to someone that knows what Im talking about then to talk to people who read off a script, and then get transfered.