1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are installers scamming DTV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by lmac, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Sep 3, 2010 #1 of 24
    lmac

lmac New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    I scheduled an install at my summer cabin. When the two guys showed up, they took one look and said, "it won't work, too many trees". I showed them two additional sites and got the same answer. They left without even trying to install.

I found a used receiver, SONY B55, 2001 model, and a used 3 LNB dish. I installed it in one of the two sites and got over 80% on all transponders.

I don't know how DTV pays their installers, but I believe thay get paid if they go on an install and find any acceptible excuse not to do it. If so, in this case, they got paid for not doing an install that they could have done.

Oh Yea! I called DTV and was told that the receiver could not be activated because it was so old. I would have to go through the entire process of getting a new install. I decided to go with DISH.

2. Sep 3, 2010 #2 of 24
    Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    We get paid by the job not by the hour. DTV doesn't pay the installers at all they pay the companies tasked with performing the installs. Completion rate is a big priority for D* and kicking jobs doesn't look good.

While 80% seems like good signal, if thats the highest you can get it, then the install can't go in.

90% is the minimum necessary to activate a SD receiver. We have what is called "Installation Verification" and if the receiver does not have enough signal it will not activate.

Let us know if dish gets it in, because if they do, then theres a good chance the 2 guys were full of bologna. You could also call D* and request that a new technician or supervisor come out and confirm the NLOS (No Line of Site)

Finally, your install comes with a 2 year commitment and the install companies have to guarantee at least 2 years of Line of Site. D* actually requests 10 years but thats usually impossible.

If a customer loses LOS prior to their 2 year commitment expiring D* fines the installation companies HEAVILY.

As I said, we get paid by the job not by the hour. If they go through and do the entire install and end up not having LOS to complete the job they do not get paid.

3. Sep 3, 2010 #3 of 24
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    It's DirecTV that is scamming the installers, not the other way around.

4. Sep 3, 2010 #4 of 24
    Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    +100000000000000000000000

5. Sep 3, 2010 #5 of 24
    pressureman0

pressureman0 AllStar

Jan 3, 2009
    lol to true:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

6. Sep 4, 2010 #6 of 24
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Directv installations are set up to penalize a tech who takes the time to attempt the more difficult sites. Spend an hour or more only to discover one or more of the sats is blocked and not only is there no money coming...you are behind schedule..and you have to fix holes...roll cable...repack receivers....then there is a back charge potential for missing the next appointment.

Why try the close ones?

I thought the installation minimum was 70?.........Insisting on 90s will stop installations on cloudy days. Why invest any time if there is a chance the job won't go in?

90?????

I used to pack it in because I couldn't finish before the call center would be closed. If there were lightning storms in the area or my own Directv signal was below 70. 90s to activate...priceless!

Joe

7. Sep 4, 2010 #7 of 24
    Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    We can call and get activation waivers when the weather is bad. You call D* and the guy confirms rain on the satellite for your specific zip code.

It's the same way when you need to activate a DVR but theres no way to get a second line to it. If it doesn't have both tuners you have to call and get a waiver.

Can be on hold for 45 minutes some times. It's great!

8. Sep 4, 2010 #8 of 24
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    The crap continues!
    After 45 minutes on the phone you get.."this call center is now closed. Do not leave customer activation messages on any other line,,,,"

I had to put up with the same thing for phone connections..."hold while I get you a waiver for not connecting the nonexistant phone,,."

And my MASTEC fav...." ah sir! I cannot close more that two of your jobs. You must get back to on hold and wait again while I take the call of one of your other workers. Is there anything else I can do? thank you...click"

Waivers because it is raining!

Crap!

Joe

9. Sep 7, 2010 #9 of 24
    lmac

lmac New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    As I said in my original post, I had over 80% on ALL transponders. #6 had a 94%. I was told by the installers that I had to have at least an 80% for activation.

I went with DISH Network and have a great pic. Their dish has to be pointed at 30 deg. DTV has to be at 40 deg. If DISH can get it at 30 then DTV should easily get it at 40.

I can't believe these two guys would drive almost 3 hrs from Roanoke, VA to my Cabin at Green Bank, WV ZIP 24944, and just take one look and leave, if they weren't getting paid something!!

ANyway, most folks around have DISH. I guess they knew about DTV all along.

10. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Yes,

DISH has sats....an east group and a west group. This gives a choice to the tech. The elevation is what it is and generally higher as you move south so you clear more trees. The difference between 30 and forty degrees is significant.

You gotta assume the techs who showed up had a list of open jobs. The obvious non deals or even the time killers get passed. Something spooked them. There must not be a local installer near you for some reason.

If you really want to do something get a launch position over the north pole.
    Canada would beat a path to your door. All the NLOS (No Line of Sight) folks on crappy cable would also sign up. The folks on good cable may not unless other things were better.

It is just rocket science!

Joe

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Believe it.

From their point of view, they've already wasted 6 hours of drive-time and fuel. Spending another hour on a questionable LOS problem (and I'm not saying that's what it was, but they obviously thought so) that can't be activated only makes them bigger losers, so they took one look and ran away. Having been there before, I don't blame them. Customers really don't care if they waste 3-4 hours of my time trying to get LOS when I know it won't happen, and then they are the FIRST ones to try to get a damage claim if you have installed a mast on their house that they INSISTED you install.

The sat companies have put all the responsibility on the installer, even for things he has no control over. Most techs don't have to get burned too many times before they will learn to leave the questionable ones alone.

Having said that, I do a lot of questionable installs, but I do so privately, for $60/hour starting the minute I arrive onsite. Most of the time, I can find a way to get them done. Not all of them are 100% to code, but by then the customers understand the limitations and will live with them happily. When I'm getting paid properly, I'm happy to spend whatever time is needed to solve the problem, and conversely, the customer is motivated not to waste my time. Win-Win.

With a free "standard" installation, the tech is already getting screwed even in an ideal situation, and few installs are ideal. When you encounter a problem, you have to solve it quickly or cancel and leave. The system doesn't allow for any other option.

12. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    BZ,

" You are just as incompetent as the guys that were here yesterday...why do you have to point your damn dish over there where the trees are...look over there...why won't it work just pointing it there. It am calling Directv and reporting you morons!"

Sound familiar?

Joe

13. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I remember a very angry customer demanding that I call DirecTV and have them move the satellite so that he could get service from his apartment balcony. He was on the 2nd floor of a 5-story building with his balcony facing north. He was furious that I wouldn't move the satellite in the sky for him.

14. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Was his name John McEnroe? :)

15. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Wow...ummmm, just Wow! :ewww:

Mike

16. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Yeah. I think he had told off the cable company or something, and he was upset that the folks across the courtyard (you know, the ones with the SOUTH-facing balconies) were getting service, and demanded that I get it for him too. He just couldn't understand why DirecTV didn't put satellites in the northern sky so that folks like him could get service too.

17. Skyboss

Skyboss Icon

Jan 22, 2004
    Sounds like you need to cut down a few trees. We did in Northern Wisconsin. Works great. Give yourself a 20-foot buffer south of the house and you should be good. Gives the house a bit more sun in the winter. Works out nice.

18. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    You know that is crazy but just think if Directv did have southern & northen sats at the increased number of people that might be able to get Directv service because they only have a clear view of the northen sky. :)

19. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    It is a government thing. And there are the laws of physics. The sats 101 summary is that geo stable launch positions must be over the equator 32,000
    miles out...in the Clarke Belt. North American communications all look south somewhere. The FCC & other international groups say exactly where. There are fines for driving your satellite around without permission.

The earth rotates east to west and the satellite moves at the exact speed but in orbit. The result is the satellite just sits there because it's speed. course and distance constantly align with a fixed point on the earth. Since there is no north south spin any satellite in the north will have to continue to traverse through all latitudes.

Folks are looking at balloons, solar powered planes, sky hooks and unknown secret stuff. But that is the summary.

There are many satellites up there and DISH has leased transponders on many of them to produce their system. It is a case of smart guys looking at a situation and coming up with different results.

Directv has elected to build their system to eventually use satellites they own and can be reached from a single dish. They don't consult me on this.

Joe

20. Tisby

Tisby AllStar

Jun 4, 2010
    I know it would increase some - mainly apartment type settings. However, a majority of my NLOS are just no way at all. They only thing that is a real annoyance for us is the 119 - It's at 28.5 degrees elevation. Yippie! However, if I have a job and have the customer signs off on it, I can get an install done with no locals. My HSP puts in the notes, takes the paperwork and deals with any future flak from DTV. So I get paid and somebody who my generated revenue pays for defends my work. It ain't all bad out here. :D