1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are People Getting Dumber?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Drucifer, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Are People Getting Dumber? One Geneticist Thinks So

SOURCE

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I disagree with that.

I know that it is easy to see that the kids today are doing things we never thought possible when we were young.

I know that when I was young the older people like myself, 69, were amazed at what we were doing. I had a couple of men tell me back then, "I was born 20 years too soon for this ".

This ever increasing additions and improvements on what is being done by all in almost all aspects of our daily lives can not be the results of getting dumber.

3. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    I think as a whole we are getting much smarter, but these days common sense is being totally ignored.:confused:

4. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    I think as a whole we are better educated than previous generations, but that does not necesarilly equate to smarter.

5. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I don't understand...

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We just have more silly people doing weird studies.

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Exactly.

The IQ of the population is going down, I believe.

But IQ does not necessarily equate to education or intelligence, merely the ability to learn.

8. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    [youtube]HuBiDavR3FU[/youtube]

9. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Are People Getting Dumber?

I know I is.

10. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    [youtube]Y-9fyWe-pI4[/youtube]

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I've always argued that people are not getting more intelligent... I think we are roughly staying the same... but given the vast knowledge we have today vs several thousand years ago... you might conclude that we are doing less with more.. and that's where you call into question that perhaps we may also be getting less intelligent over time after all.

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Since "dumb" morphed from meaning only without sound to meaning "stupid", I can say our language is taking a hit. Too many apostrophes where none are called for, and other lesser and greater sins against proper grammar.

I am sure attention spans are shorter if I'm any gauge of that; what with 8 second rewind, sound bites for everything, YouTube, e-mail and texts, I pay far less attention when I know I can go back and re-view whatever.

13. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
  14. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    I don't think people are getting dumber, just that with internet and social media , etc. we hear about the dumb ones more .

15. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Well then, with everyone seeming to know the business of everyone else now in this world of instant news, why are the same mistakes repeated in what seems like greater numbers?

One example, turkeys & deep fryers. Every year there are dozens of stories of people doing it wrong.

16. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I do feel the nature of the internet and instant news does contribute to the perception. I have had this discussion on motorcycle forums, there seem to be far more deaths and injuries on bikes than ever before. 15 years ago ( I have been riding for over 30) you would never hear about an accident unless it made the evening news or you knew the rider. Now they are all reported. The actual statistic is that deaths and injuries per million miles ridden is actually down. It just seems worse because of reporting

17. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    The ones that listen in school are probably well educated. I will make a bet that every one on here over 50 could beat the pants of most 22 year old in a math contest. I know many high school grads in their 20's that can not even write a check or balance a check book. If it is not the educational system that is causing this then that only proves the article is correct.

18. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I highly doubt that. Unless you're in something like engineering, science or finance where you actively use it every day, you don't retain much.

I have to use a calculator for simple addition and subtraction of two digit numbers. I wouldn't even know which buttons to push for any algebraic equation.

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The other day we were in a store, and we had a 40% off coupon. The cashier started to use a $30 off coupon, we told her we had a 40% off. The item was not excluded by either and was over $100. She actually used a calculator to figure out which one was better for us. Now, I'm no math whiz, but that floored me.

But I honestly think part of it is the educational system. It seems to me that there is still (at least in Ohio) too much teaching to prepare for the state tests. Testing is important, but has it become too much of a focus? I remember when I was in school, some teachers also put too much into memorization. We had to learn the Gettysburg Address and recite it back, but there was nothing in terms of what it meant, context etc. I'd much rather someone know the circumstances around it (more than just Gettysburg itself or an analysis of why it is such a famous speech than to be able to recite it back word for word.

20. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    If it was $100 even, I could do it in my head. If it was anything else, no.