1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are refurbished 622/722 receivers worth bothering with?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Steve_53, Oct 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Steve_53

Steve_53 Mentor

Jul 6, 2005
    I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with refurbished 622/722 receivers from Dish - I had to replace a vip622 a couple of years ago, the original "brand new one" had been in use about 4 years IIRC, the replacement died in August (after about two and a half years of operation), so I'm now on my third one.

I also have a vip722 - the original one also lasted some 4 years, I had to replace it last May (not quite 18 months ago), now the replacement has started rebooting every 10 minutes - can't transfer any of the recordings to an external drive (and let me tell you, my wife is not happy about that!). I am wondering if the level of refurb on these units is not keeping up with the "real" age of the hardware, and if it might be better to move on to a current generation Hopper?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yes, it's time to move to next generation

3. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    You buy a used car and it is factory certified and sold with a new warranty. Six months into ownership the transmission gives out, so it is replaced under warranty at no cost to you. Now was that refurbished car a problem because the age of the components showed up? A used 622/722 or even a Hopper are inspected at time of sale and questionable components are replaced but it is still "X" number of years usage on the rest of the components. DISH refurbs generally come with a warranty and a discounted price. The receiver or the car can only be "NEW" once but it can still be a good value.

4. Steve_53

Steve_53 Mentor

Jul 6, 2005
    Pardon me for ranting, but I do need to vent just a bit after listening to my wife's complaining to me about how she wishes we still had cable service and a VCR.

My issue is not really about cost/value - I've been a Dish customer for a very long time (IIRC, my first receiver was a 2800) - my first Dish DVR (a 501) was part of the second set of Dish receivers I've had. I've gotten all of these 622 & 722 replacements under the "Protection Plan", (kinda like paying for that warranty on the used car), so no major gripes there. My question is really about the apparent downward trend in real-world operating life of the Dish refurbished receivers - while it is mildly annoying to lose the use of the device for 3-4 days while waiting for a replacement to arrive, it is exceedingly annoying to lose all of the recordings that were saved for future viewing. These receivers are (still) referred to as DVR's, but what good is having the capability to record something with what seems to be a shrinking window for playback.

In my experience (40+ years in the electronics industry) there is difference between repairing (to restore to working condition by replacing failed components) and refurbishing (restore to like-new condition by replacing both failed and age sensitive components that are "past their prime" like electrolytic capacitors for example).

5. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    It is your responsibility to transfer your saved programs to an external hard drive not DISH'S. Directv and cable companies don't give you the option to save programs on a hard drive that can be loaded back onto your DVR.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How old was the stuff on them? DVRs aren't meant for years long storage. And most anything in the last couple weeks you can generally get via on demand. Although I like most keep something for a very very long time, I don't get mad if it gets lost. Ill get it another way. And dvrs are still easily as good in longevity as vcrs. Tapes went bad sometimes.... At least now there's a lot more ways to get back what you lost.