1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there any security implications with static IPs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by E91, Oct 8, 2010.

1. E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    Please forgive me if this is just a brutally naive question. My network knowledge is primitive at best.

My setup is as follows. I have AT&T DSL with a 2Wire router in my home office. I have it going through the home's powerlines to a switch upstairs. The line then gets distributed to all the various elements of my home entertainment system.

There are also two HR24s, linked through DECA and connected to my network via ICK.

Following problems with the receivers losing each other and MRV malfunctioning, the nice folks here talked me through setting up static IPs. That totally resolved the problem and it has worked superbly since then.

However, I wondered whether that would open up my home network to security risks. Isn't it the case that the whole idea of dynamic assignment of IPs would prevent an outside attacker from continually going after a static IP? Or, am I must grossly misunderstanding the entire process (because, as a i said, I'm in nOOb city).

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I found this: http://www.computerforum.com/143062-static-ips-safe.html#post1176471

3. E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
  4. futurerebeldr

futurerebeldr AllStar

Jun 8, 2010
    As a network admin, I can confirm what sigma posted is true. The easiest way to tell how things are setup is to point your browser on your computer to http://www.whatismyip.com.

None of your equipment should have the address from that site listed, except for your home router.

5. E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    Man, DBSTalk just rocks!

You guys are sooooo helpful. Thanks!

This really puts my mind at rest. The links you guys just posted answered all my questions. Great stuff.