Are you able to have DNS (Distant Network Service) channels from both NYC & LA? (in an RV)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by sammy-bos, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Feb 5, 2017 #1 of 14
    sammy-bos

sammy-bos New Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Boston, USA
    Is there a way to get all the DNS channels (389 to 399) for your RV? Even the Los Angeles feeds as well as the New York ones?

2. Feb 5, 2017 #2 of 14
    richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    FCC says no. Do you get local channels from home address? Do you have Dish or DirecTV? Where is your home location?Why do you want both?

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

3. Feb 5, 2017 #3 of 14
    DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    You can apply for dns mobile, which gives you all of them, but good luck finding a csr that knows about it, it is a process to get them and will take 3-4 weeks AFTER you submit the paper work, last time I checked the cost is about $21.00

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

4. Feb 5, 2017 #4 of 14
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If you go to the DIRECTV.com web site, in the top right corner there is a link for TRAVELERS. Go there and then click on the RV section.

5. Feb 5, 2017 #5 of 14
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It doesn't give you "all of them". Instead if
    You have an RV account you will get the feed, east or west, depending on your vehicle registration. There is no legal way to have both at the same time currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Feb 5, 2017 #6 of 14
    cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k New Member

May 24, 2010
    Unfortunately no, you cannot have both sets anymore partially due to the updated requirements of the act that authorizes them and partially because of DirecTV's interpretation of that act. (Basically the latest version of the law says that no one can get programming from a time zone earlier than their home area, which meant that west coast viewers were no longer eligible to get the east coast DNS stations. It doesn't say anything about people getting programming LATER than their time zone, so viewers in the East/Central time zones aren't technically banned from having both but I guess to make it fair DirecTV just decided to go with the East/Central= NYC, West/Mountain= LA rule and they don't bend it at all. Trust me, I've tried).

As previously stated if you really have an RV all you do is have to fill the Mobile Vehicle Affidavit and send it in, along with a copy of your registration. If your RV is registered anywhere in the Eastern or Central time zones you will get the NY Network affiliates (WCBS, WNBC, WABC, WNYW, and the CW station from Washington, DC (CW in SD only). If your registration is from the mountain/pacific time zone you get the LA network stations. The form is on the AT&T website:

Be warned they're going to tell you that you must have a separate account for your RV to get DNS service and you are asked to list the receivers in your RV. If you only have a few and move them to your RV you typically can just list all of them and "get away" with moving them between both places, but if you have a lot of receivers they're going to catch on and will make you pay for two accounts. In my case we only have two receivers and use cable as our primary TV in our residence so we've never had an issue having one account.

The package is $15 a month now, and typically they are turned on within two weeks of you submitting your paperwork. You get to keep the local channels for your "service address" as well.

7. Feb 5, 2017 #7 of 14
    DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    Well it used to give you both with the mobile, I knew for regular dns it only gives you the east or west feeds depending on your address, my whole point was Yes, it is possible to get them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

8. Feb 5, 2017 #8 of 14
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    What is the point to refer to the past? It doesn't help the TS in any way. What matters is what is possible today and going forward and that is only one set the DNS feed.

BTW, you still claim that is possible to get them even today and that is just not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Feb 5, 2017 #9 of 14
    sammy-bos

sammy-bos New Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Boston, USA
    Is there a way to not even get my locals at all? And just the DNS?

10. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    No.

11. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k New Member

May 24, 2010
    Actually the newest version of the form does allow you to check whether you want a package with or without locals, but I'm not sure if they honor such requests anymore. It does have the AT&T logo on it, so it has been updated.

12. sammy-bos

sammy-bos New Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Boston, USA
    I noticed that, too, because I don't think locals need to clutter my line-up if I may not even be in the local spot-beam area half the time.

13. dallasfan30m

dallasfan30m Member

Dec 28, 2016
    from dishnetwork you can, it's a 3rd party company you have to call I thinks it's 15 a month

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

14. Troch2002

Troch2002 Member

May 7, 2016
    That company is no longer.
    That was All American Direct.
    And they died a few years ago.