1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are You Prepared???

Discussion in 'The OT' started by JM Anthony, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    There have been a number of programs on the airwaves the last month or so dealing with a variety of disasters (earthquakes, flu pandemics, terrorist activities). Since it is pretty easy to push all of these possibilities to the background for many of us, most of us really don't do any kind of decent job of getting prepared for a disaster of any kind. There may be some resources at work if folks have to shelter in place, but many households are poorly prepared. Do you have emergency preparedness kits not only in your homes, but also in your cars? Do you have water and food for at least 3 days for all family members (when a flu pandemic hits, you'll need weeks, not days, worth of supplies)? How are you doing on critical medications, particularly if you're living in an area that could be isolated in the event of a major disaster?

I'm lucky to work in a county that's pretty progressive when it comes to emergency management. Here's a link to our web site: www.metrokc.gov/prepare and if you search around this page, http://www.metrokc.gov/prepare/about/meet_staff.aspx you might even spot a recent pix. of yours truly.

Hopefully you'll find some ideas on our web site that will help you get better prepared. Like many things, the hardest thing to do is to take the first steps, so start slowly until you build some momentum. If you have a community association you work with, there are a ton of things you can do by working together that will benefit you all. Your local emergency management organization can help with resources.

John

2. Jun 1, 2006 #2 of 16
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I have not prepared the house, but I have prepared my building that was destroyed by two hurricanes in 2004. It is finally back in a condition where I have to worry about protecting it again. I just spent about $8,000 on hurricane panels to protect the windows from the next "big one". I hope that it is the biggest waste of $8,000 that I have ever spent and that they simply sit in the corner waiting for the next 5+ years. Being single and not having to worry about others puts me in a different situation than most here. If a hurricane heads this way (again) I will simply skip town (again) and return when it is safe. As for the pandemics, I have given it no though, once again, being single I am sure I have a different perspective on the subject.

I will take a look at the site.

3. Jun 1, 2006 #3 of 16
    ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    I'm married with children but I don't really like those people. To each man his own, dog eat dog.

4. Jun 1, 2006 #4 of 16
    olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    In our state we're known for being prepared. When a tornado comes, most of us will be outside seeing which direction it's coming from.:D

5. Jun 1, 2006 #5 of 16
    Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    you're married with kids so you don't like single people??? Is that you are jealous because they are single or what?

6. Jun 1, 2006 #6 of 16
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Why don't you like your wife and kids? :D

7. Jun 1, 2006 #7 of 16
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    And taking pictures. :D

8. Jun 1, 2006 #8 of 16
    MikeSoltis

MikeSoltis Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 1, 2003
    And then posting them on DBSTalk.com :lol:

9. Jun 1, 2006 #9 of 16
    JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    I do feel sorry for the folks in hurricane/tornado valleys. It's tough to know you're going to get pounded by nasty storms on a fairly regular basis.

Many in those regions understand the importance of being prepared. In Seattle, our "regular" emergencies typically come from the winter storms (it does rain in Seattle, you know). But that rarely involves more than a few low land areas and a mud slide or two. Getting folks to take the first step toward better preparedness in our neck of the woods takes a bit more effort.

John

10. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    And hurricane season started today. :( It's ineresting what they did to "hurricane proof" my building. The new trusses are attached with not one (code), but two hurricane straps, one from each side of the truss. Each strap is Tapconed to the block wall, run over the truss and screwed into the truss. The roof membrane, on top of the new trusses and plywood is a double layer of peel and stick roofing that, in theory, becomes a single membrane (about 10,000 sq. feet worth) after the sun bakes it for a little while. The 10 garage doors (of which 6 blew out) have been replaced with doors rated to 140 MPH. The new hurricane pannels complete the protection. Hopefully all this will do the job. Now, if I could fill the building with happy renters all would be well with the world. :D

11. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Since I have been known to stand around in lightning storms taking pictures, this sounds like me. :lol: My lightning collection: http://www.pbase.com/rking401/lightning&page=all

12. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    You know I'm just kidding. I sort of like them, a little bit.

Seriously, I live in tornado alley although over the last few years the danger zone has seemed to shift North of me. Prepared? No! Should I be? Yes! And I have lived through one of the most destructive tornadoes in modern American history.

Te general area where I live is known for some the of the most violent thunderstorms on the planet. We are very cognizant of developing storms and potential dangers.

13. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    In earthquake country their is not much one can do except insure you have a week worth of food and then ---------

14. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    ...and what state would that be? :confused: :shrug:

15. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Is that why you have a large dog, so you can eat him?

16. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Hey Bogy, I think you're accusing me of being a dog. I'm not near as smart as my dog, anyway, if she was hungry enough she could eat me.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.