1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you scared to take a vacation?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Jun 1, 2013 #1 of 50
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    From SF Gate:

Are you scared to take a vacation?
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

Am I scared? Hell, yeah.

2. Jun 1, 2013 #2 of 50
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I am the only person who does what I do at work ... and while my manager covers for me when I am off, anything that can wait usually just gets put off until after I return.

That is a good position to be in - except for trying to get ahead before I leave and catching up after.

The other people in my department that share responsibilities are usually overworked enough that the vacation also proves their usefulness. People are missed. It is a good(ish) thing.

3. Jun 1, 2013 #3 of 50
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    No problem here. It's good to be a government employee... Been around long enough that even if they RIFed people, it would never get to me. Plus, with what I do, there is always job security... :)

- Merg

4. Jun 1, 2013 #4 of 50
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I am on 5 weeks of it right now.
    Union contract, so I don't worry about coming back to no job.
    I do end up draining the bank account though.
    That makes me worry a bit when I take them.

5. Jun 1, 2013 #5 of 50
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I occasionally point out to my adult (age 50+) kids the following about the Bay Area - Silicon Valley where two of the three live:

[​IMG]

Two things:
    1. Employment levels have become morale-crushingly cyclical.
    2. Unlike in the prior down cycles, during the 2008 crash the number of people seeking jobs did not dip significantly meaning the competition for jobs is greater.
    3. As one person who posted a comment on the article noted, save your vacation until you reach the accumulation limit so you have a cushion in addition to unemployment.

6. Jun 1, 2013 #6 of 50
    Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Wow, I worked in county government and school districts for 30+ years. I always felt I had job security until the recession. Then my salary and age made me expendable and I was pushed out. Everyone can be replaced!

7. Jun 1, 2013 #7 of 50
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Not scared at all here. I get 4 weeks of vacation, and everyone in my department (IT) takes close to their allotment, whether it's 3 or 4 weeks, though some have PTO, not dedicated vacation. Can someone else do the majority of my job in day to day aspects? Sure, but that also means I can go on vacation. Same goes for others in the department.

8. Jun 1, 2013 #8 of 50
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    True, but in my job if they do a RIF it is straight by seniority and there are plenty of people with less seniority than me in my position. Fortunately, they can't just get rid of a specific position that will cause me to be unemployed.

- Merg

9. Jun 1, 2013 #9 of 50
    houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    just scared of how much farther in the red I would be..

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    just scared of how much farther in the red I would be..

It's not necessarily that kind of vacation. For example, I can rent a nice cabin in the Smokeys for a few days for not a lot of money, plus food. Not all vacations have to be epic.

11. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I"m not sure if i'm scared or not i just hate travelling ,hate crowds and have a terrible sense of direction so i hate driving long distances because i get lost easy even with a gps ,I'm not kidding my wife teases me and says i would get lost in our backyard!

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Probably still not as bad as a guy I was with once in Columbus, Ohio. Saw a river and he asked me "is that the Ohio?" He didn't understand when I said "if that's the Ohio, we're in trouble."

13. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    My last 'real' vacation was 3 days in Chicago, spring 2011. Had a fantastic time, would do it again in a heartbeat if I could get away.

I do get away for a day once in a while, and a day off watching TV is not unheard of, but I'd say I get 3 or 4 days off a month and don't mind.

I'm my own boss, I have no employees (who ever you are out there that ain't working for me, thank your lucky stars!) and I'm making a go of it. I'd rather be busy, I rarely do something I don't like, and like today, had a great time. Set up an answering machine, replaced a VCR remote control, hooked up a sound bar and sub, re-aimed a 3 LNB SD D* dish, and had a nice lunch and supper that I made myself. Caught up on a heap of local gossip (Miss Anna-lisa is in the home! Mrs. G has her sons competeing against each other in showing her attention, mean old Mac lost his license, found out LL got a new car, and Mrs. E won't wear her Depends!) (yeah, I work for several 'little old busy bodies', LOL!) picked up a bucket of rat bait at the feed store, and fixed a bad Cisco HDDVR over the phone.

Nice to be needed.

(I'll have to go back to the 3 LNB, the lawn crew womped the pole, and it needs replaced. The homeowner will be fine until I get back unless the lawn guy hits it again)

14. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Under California labor law, accumulated vacation/PTO is considered earned wages, and must be paid upon separation from a company.... whether it be voluntary or involuntary. (Source: California Department of Industrial Relations) If my job situation is considered "unstable", this is my buffer.

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Not sure if that is the case in Ohio, but employees at my company that have PTO get paid out each year for time they did not take the previous year. I don't qualify for that however.

16. 1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    Due to company restructuring my facilty has a bare bones workforce. I have a few things going for me. I am the Manager. I've been around a longtime so I know my stuff. I'm good. I don't hate my job but it's not as enjoyable as it once was. I get 5 weeks vacation & bonus money.

The rub: The guys who back me up now don't handle stress well, they don't work as hard as I think they should, and they don't want to go the extra mile that's needed sometime. And they don't want any responsibilty. I have to work harder before I take off, and harder when I get back. I loathe taking more than a day at a time. Even then texts or calls from work are common. It didn't used to be like this but management let my good, smart, hard working employees slide away and I got stuck with the drift. I used to take long vacations and even had 2 months off due to health problems and my co-workers did great. I fear extreme failures in my absence now.

My boss now realizes what I been saying and says that if I need off more than a few days he'll pull my equivalent from another location. And he begs me not to leave. I'm hoping for 6 more years, then out.

That's why I'm scared to take vacations.

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I went thru all that in the last few years that I worked. Downsizing always seems to burden folks with more than they can handle. It never stopped me from going on vacations or business trips, but I dreaded going back to work, knowing that nothing would have been done in my absence and I'd have to catch every little thing up. One of our plant managers told me that we would be "dumping all the deadwood" by downsizing dramatically so they could figure out how many people we actually needed to run the place. They get below the level needed to run and then they begin to hire folks to fill the necessary positions. People who get downsized or dumped when you go thru a reorganization are never rehired as far as I know.

One of the things we got during the last downsizing I participated in and took the voluntary package was a class in resume writing. The instructor said to never mention that you were downsized in your resume. Might as well say you were let go because you were an underperformer.

Rich

1 person likes this.
  18. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    Why would I be scared to take vacations? It is my vacation and I will take it. :righton:

19. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Pretty much the way I see it.

20. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Lots of people are scared to take vacations becuase they're afraid they won't have a job when they get back. It's as though the idea of a vacation is, for the company, a chance to see if they can downsize your position without affecting the bottom line.