1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ashes of Terri Schiavo buried

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dummyproof, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dummyproof

dummyproof Godfather

Jan 30, 2004
    Ashes of Terri Schiavo buried

In a related story:

Obviously the the link above is real, the quote is not ...but the way things have progressed in the Schiavo ordeal, I don't find it that absurd of a possibility. :nono2:

2. BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris Icon/Supporter

Apr 20, 2004
    There is enough absurdity and bizarreness in this tragedy without making something up.

Take for example the latest from the AP today: Michael Schivao buried Terri's remains without notifying them beforehand; he had her grave marker inscribed with the words "I kept my promise;" and he listed the date of her death on the marker as Feb. 25, 1990, the date his wife "Departed this Earth."

"... David Gibbs, an attorney for the woman's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, decried the inscriptions on the marker. 'Obviously, that's a real shot and another unkind act toward a grieving mom and dad,' Gibbs said. ..."

Source: Schiavo's Remains Buried Amid Acrimony

3. dummyproof

dummyproof Godfather

Jan 30, 2004
    I happen to know firsthand why the earlier date is referenced. My dad died in July 2004, but we lost the real dad in late 2003. He died a slow, mind degrading death from a brain tumor. His actions and words in the last 6 months or so of his life were more so a result of the tumor, than that of his own volition.

4. BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris Icon/Supporter

Apr 20, 2004
    You and your family have my sincerest condolences for the loss of your father. I lost my own father in August 2000, but due to a sudden and massive heart-attack.

I mean no disrespect, but since you brought up how your father passed away, does his grave marker cite the 2003 date or the date he actually died in 2004? This is only significant because I feel pretty confident in saying that it is customary to record the actual date, and not a date when someone goes into an "irreversible vegetative state," as Michael Schiavo has done.

Many casual observers of this public, tragic episode, including myself, believe that Michael Schiavo is being very spiteful to Terri's parents and siblings by taking the actions to Terri's gravesite that I cited previously. It appears that he is using her death to make both an attack against the Schindlers and as a political statement.

Not withstanding religious requisites, graves are for the living, not for the dead. I know that sounds anachronistic, but when you think about it, it's true. The living need graves as a place to go to weep and by which to remember the deceased. Of course, there are plenty of cases in history when society uses the grave site of a public figure for symbolic reasons, e.g., JFK's eternal flame in D.C.; Napoleon's tomb in the Golden Dome of Les Invalides in Paris; and of course, the Holy Land is replete with venerated sites where Jesus Christ was supposedly crucified and rose again.

However, Terri Schiavo's prominence in history does not rise to the exaltedness of those examples. The right thing for Michael Schiavo to do would have been to make Terri's gravesite a place where all who loved Terri could come to mourn and pay their respects. Lamentably, this appears to be another sad chapter written in this tragedy -- can anyone say that this will be the final chapter?

5. dummyproof

dummyproof Godfather

Jan 30, 2004
    While we have no exact reference date to use, as his decline was just that, a decline, we have always referred to "losing" dad in 2003. Dad was cremated, to have put a date of actual death on his gravestone, had he been buried, would only have served to note the historical date of loss, not the emotional date of loss.
    I would of had no problem had the the reference to the actual date been inscribed, even though I in no way consider that to have been the date we lost him. But in the end, it would have been my Mothers decision.... as the spouse.

I truly believe the parents of Terri Schiavo have acted not only ignorantly and selfishly, but maliciously. I'm not at all surprised to find that there has been an issue raised surrounding the gravestone... no matter what Michael Schiavo does anymore, it will be an issue with the parents. These are desperate acts of revenge. :(

6. deraz

deraz Daydreamer DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 25, 2004

The grave marker actually has both dates on it.

7. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    And Terri's biological family have treated Michael how? With respect and consideration of his convictions and viewpoints? Or did they insinuate he is a liar, cheat, thief, spouse abuser and murderer?

Actually "insinuate" is too kind. They pertty much actually called him all these things in public statements and filed frivilous lawsuits in vain attempts to prove them.

8. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    According to the local newspaper, this is quite true. It is an example of how the dufuses and those ignoranti with a political agenda twist the facts.

I find it to be the ultimate in hypocrisy to profess to hold sacred the bond of marriage and then use government to interfere with that bond.

9. deraz

Sep 25, 2004
  10. deraz

Sep 25, 2004
    It looks like he buried her in FL. If my memory is correct, her parents wanted her buried in FL, and were angered when he had said that she would be buried in PA.

11. markh

markh Hall Of Fame

Mar 24, 2002
    Not only has the family implied that he is all the things that Jon mentioned, Jeb Bush has urged a prosecutor to investigate the "real reason" for Terri's collapse and resulting condition. Never mind the results of the autopsy, there are special interest groups that need to be cultivated to further politiacal ambitions. All at the expense of Schiavo. Is there any doubt that he has good reason to have some bitterness over this?

12. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    BTW, it S-H-I-A-V-O.

The report I heard was that the Shindlers didn't attend because they were not given ENOUGH notice. Regardless, ya don't suppose this was done in haste and relative secrecy to avoid yet ANOTHER media circus, this time at her gravesite, do ya?:scratchin

Throughout all of this, it seems Michael is the one who has maintained a sense decorum and respect for his wife and her condition, not seeking out publicity and acceding to the Shindler's every wish that did not directly conflict with his own. In return he has received constant vilification and a national campaign to turn him into a monster.

Frankly, he has shown remarkable restraint IMHO. If it had been me, I would have cut off all contact between Terri and the Shindlers long ago.

13. dummyproof

dummyproof Godfather

Jan 30, 2004
    Wow... somebody should tell the husband the gravestone has S-C-H-I-A-V-O then. :D

14. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Fair enough.:blush:

In my hasty indignation, a little dyslexia by omission got in the way.:D

I guess it proves I am not dummyproof!:sure:

15. dummyproof

dummyproof Godfather

Jan 30, 2004
    Well, sadly enough I suppose, that might be what will be used against Michael Schiavo next, the fact that he didn't put her maiden name on the gravestone.
    Inquiry to follow. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.