1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asiana Flight 214 - KTVU FAIL on pilot names

Discussion in 'The OT' started by trh, Jul 15, 2013.

1. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I can't believe this happened:

http://youtu.be/L1JYHNX8pdo

Attached Files:

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I read in the comments at one news site that Asiana has hire Me Su Yu as their lawyer.

In the rush to be first with the news someone forgot to think. They DID verify the names with the NTSB (which was wrong as the NTSB does not release names) ... and some intern no longer has their job. The intern didn't create the names, but they did verify them.

3. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I hate to seem cruel, But Talking heads as part of the problem and the rush to be the first with new news items and here is the result.

1 person likes this.
  4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    My father always said there's comedy in a tragedy if you know where to look.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm wondering if the intern thought he was being pranked...

The real question is how did they end up talking to the intern? It seems like there was a failure at the NTSB before the intern even got on the line.

Trying to get the story first has burned organizations before. Last year there was a major Supreme Court decision, CNN got it wrong.

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    OMG.

Just OMG.......

1 person likes this.
  7. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    intern prob thinking "can't believe that worked"

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    One of the early articles I read claimed that the intern wasn't even the one at the NTSB that came up with these fake names -- it was something that was 'floating' around the office.

If so, the intern being fired may only be the beginning.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    And this is why a few of us get up in arms when people get mad at someone correcting them... in a world where everyone wants to be first more than they want to be accurate... this is what happens when you don't allow people to oversee and correct things before you go live with them.

10. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    CNN reported Asiana will be suing the station over this incident.

1 person likes this.
  11. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Yea. :nono2: That about sums it up.

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yes, the names the station read have damaged their reputation. I think the crash itself pretty much did that.

See post #2.

13. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    What I cant understand is how it got past everybody involved. Leaving the intern and verification out, it went through a news editor, a teleprompter operator, and the on air talent. I could possibly see the first two missing it but as I was reading it out I would be going Some Thing Wrong, Way too Low,... wait a minute, this cant be right...

14. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Personally I think Asiana should be more concerned with the avalanche of lawsuits coming their way resulting from the crash.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    On the grand scale, yes. A few silly names is nothing compared to all the mistakes made by Asiana employees on that landing. Crashing the plane does a lot more damage to Asiana than the names. On the grand scale I had not heard of the names until Asiana put forth the suit (although the YouTube clips are not news reports of the suit). It is another case of making something more visible by complaining about it.

Somebody should have caught this before air ... The reporter did a good job of pronouncing the names in a way that were less offensive than they could be. But someone messed up.

16. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah... I don't know if this merits a lawsuit, given that the real damage to their rep was the plane crash... but that news station should be rolling someone out the door too. Even if someone at the NTSB was pranking (and if so, that dude/dudette should be fired too)... someone at the local station should have stopped that from going on air.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  18. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    A lot of different reports still flying around about this. A few details have come out though, other Bay Area stations were mad at KTVU for a press release bragging about how well they had done during the disaster. The KTVU helicopter was used by ABC, CNN, and CBS news for their "breaking news" reports. Some other info that other stations felt wasn't true was also put out in a few press releases. One rumor now is another station sent out a mock press release to KTVU just before their noon news went on the air. KTVU called the NTSB and an intern did confirm this names. How true this story is I am not sure but could end up making more sense since it came in just before the news they didn't fully "vet" it and got fooled.

Also, COX the owners of KTVU have been in town looking at the entire station trying to figure out what "went wrong." That being said they are very careful in what they do, 1% of COX's entire income comes from the KTVU news dept....don't want to kill a cash cow by making any rash decisions.

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I do find it hard to believe that even a green intern at a gov't. agency would "confirm" a list that was so bogus.

20. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    I can only imagine the NTSB phone rep was simply thinking it was a prank call and only jokingly "confirmed" them.

This had to be a case where someone at the station made up the graphics as a joke and probably emailed it around the station, etc. It got in the hands of someone at the station who mistook it for a real story and they rushed to got it on air. The ntsb intern probably assumed it was someone having fun and playing phone pranks so they said, yep that's them...

I can understand the on-air talking head reading them as they came across the prompter (chuckle as I think of Ron Burgundy...) but there is absolutely no way anyone could have typed those names into a computer and created the graphics without realizing what they say.

Now, aside from the tragic deaths involved and putting aside the obvious racial insensitivities, they were pretty damn funny.
    Even if I was Asian, I think I would have to laugh at them.