Ask DBSTalk: Does my HD upgrade plan make sense?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Falfurrias, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falfurrias

Falfurrias New Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Longtime lurker (like, 7 years), first time poster :)...

I am very ready to jump into HD. I want to upgrade to a 622/722 from my 501 (so long free DVR:mad: ), but I had some questions after doing much research.

I'm still using my original Dish 500 dish. It is my understanding that, to access all HD programming, I need to see 110, 119, and 129(or 61.5). I can do this with either a 1000.2 or a second dish.

I live in a small group of apartment units owned by a local couple. They are great landlords, even installing my dish on the roof when I moved in and drilling holes to run the cable into my unit. However, (newsflash) it is winter in north Idaho right now, and I'd feel bad asking him to get on a ladder to get on the roof in the cold/snow/freezing rain.

My plan is this:

After poking around the EKB, I discovered that many of the HD channels I would watch are actually on 110--TNT HD, DishHD,HD Theater, HDNet, HDNet Movies, ESPN-HD, AND my HD locals out of Spokane (PBS is the only HD OTA I can get).

Can I just swap out receivers and enjoy the above HD channels until the weather gets better and my landlord can more easily get up on our roof? Are there any potential switch issues? I know I wouldn't be able to fully take advantage of the multiple tuner capabilities (e.g. recording 2 HD's simultaneously) with my current set up of single cables from 119/110 into a SW21, but would I still be able to view HD channels?

Also, seems like replacing my current dish with a single 1000.2 would be the simplest and easiest thing to do. But someone locally told me that they only do 2 dish installs b/c the bigger dish was "being phased out." Is that true?

Thanks in advance. I love "wasting" a few hours on here every once in a while to stay up to date on things. I'd like to think I will someday know enough to post more than once every 7 years, but I don't see that happening! :D

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Do you have a local dealer? IMHO what you are proposing is way too complicated to just call up and chat with a Dish CSR.

3. Falfurrias

Falfurrias New Member

Jan 13, 2008
    I agree with you on the CSR bit :)

I haven't discussed what I wrote in detail with anyone local. But, the ones I have talked to become less than enthusiastic to help me when they find out A) I'm not a new subscriber and B) I live in an apartment.

I am hoping it will work b/c it would actually be pretty simple. Dish mails me the equipment, I set up & activate the receiver (which would complain about not seeing 129, but hopefully not to the point of being unusable), and leave the dish in the box until March. I didn't think of the switch possibly being an issue until earlier today. I'm still looking for info on that.

I think I'll try to visit some different local retailers who have storefronts when they aren't busy. Maybe I'll find someone who is knowledgeable and feels like chatting.

Thanks for the quick response!

4. whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    As phrelin said get someone local involved. E* won't send you the equipment for a self install. The 1000.2 is too tricky to have the general public try to install it. So you will need to get someone that knows the area to tell you if it can be done. You may not even have a good look angle for 129 for the future. It's the weakest of the birds so it has to have a good installer to get it working w/ where you live.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It would be much cheaper to upgrade via Dish'n'itup because Dish will cover all the costs of the upgrade and required equipment along with what you pay to get the new HD receiver. Getting all the components yourself would be expensive.

Also, Dish sometimes has shipped receivers to people for self-install, but they will not do this in a situation such as yours where you require a lot more than just the receiver to get things working.

And another also :) Given the nature of the HD being on 110 and some on 129/61.5 Dish has not in recent times been activating receivers when they know you can't see all the satellite locations for the HD pack. This is to protect themselves in the event that after you activate and start paying the HD pack fee and then notice you are missing a bunch of channels, probably ones you want to watch after all, and then complaining about it.

I haven't heard of them activating anyone who couldn't see all the locations. Granted, sometimes I've heard of botched installs... but that's a horse of a different color.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH offers installation as part of the upgrade ... why send the owners up on the roof when DISH will send a technician up there for free? Unless the roof is impassable because of the weather, call DISH and let them do their job (and let the owners know, as a courtesy, that the dish is changing).

The only issue I see is if there isn't line of sight to 129° - which is slightly to the right and lower than your current dish is aimed for 110° and 119° (from the perspective of the dish). The signal from 129° isn't the best in the pacific NW - so the installer may need to install a second slightly larger dish instead of a 1000 dish variant. 61.5° is low on the horizon so I would not expect an installer to use that location unless it was absolutely needed.

7. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    The bigger dish is not being phased out, it's just not a good single-dish solution for adding 129° in much of the Pacific NW. Expect to get a second larger dish, poss 24", peaked for that slot.

And it's about time you registered ;). Now you can do things like view new posts and jump to the first unread post in a thread.

8. Falfurrias

Falfurrias New Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Thanks for the input, everyone! I guess I remember back to when I first got my Dish and installers wouldn't even drive by an apartment, much less do an install, and my complex made me get renter's insurance to put my dish on my own balcony. :)

I was going to use the upgrade via Dishing it Up so it does make sense to let them put up the 2nd dish if it means more reliable service. I'm SO itching to get this done that I spent my last hour at work google-stalking prices on the Samsung LN-T4661F. I sure will miss not paying to use the DVR, though.

I'm going to talk to a local retailer tomorrow and see what they say. I've heard sometimes retailers may not be able to do work for subs that aren't their own--something about Dish not reimbursing them. I bought my equipment outright and installed it myself...in Texas...SEVEN years ago so I hope that won't be a problem. I'll be sure to post back if anything weird happens.

9. Falfurrias

Falfurrias New Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Just a quick update...

Turns out the local guys couldn't do my upgrade b/c my "retailer of record", i.e. the Sears I bought it from, is still in business (getting commissions or something) from my account. The upside is that calling Dish got me an install date of this Saturday when the local couldn't get here for 2 weeks. Now I have to hurry and get my new TV and watch everything on my 501! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.