1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask DBSTalk: Problems with DPP44 and 61.5!

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by jsanders, May 4, 2005.

1. May 4, 2005 #1 of 39
    jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    I took advantage of the $100 upgrade fee to install a 3rd dish. I got $100 worth in that they got rid of all of my legacy stuff and put in dish pro lnbs, a new dish for 61.5, and a dpp44 switch.

The problem is that the setup doesn't work!!!

The check switch only shows what I had to begin with, namely 110, 119, and 148. Nothing about 61.5.

We (the installer and I) tried front panel reboots, and power plug reboots, but nothing worked. Then, to make sure we had the signal for 61.5 (since I live on the west coast), he connected a 311 to the setup. The 311 showed all four satellites on the dpp44, including 61.5. To our complete amazement, the signal strength on 61.5 on the 311 was a whopping 121! Seems impossible to me.

I've tried removing 148 from the lineup, but that didn't help. I have tried moving 61.5 to the 3rd and 4th inputs on the dpp44, nothing!

Any ideas on how to make this setup work with the 921?

2. May 4, 2005 #2 of 39
    yaesumofo

yaesumofo Mentor

Apr 22, 2005
    I also took advantage of the upgrade. $100.00. It didn't work right at first either.
    First there needs to be a power injector.
    Also the LNB's have got to be dish Pro units. Also on the 921 only one signal is brought from the switch and then it is split at the receiver. (That made a lot of difference.)
    The installer had never done one of these before. I think that is probably your biggest problem. It was my biggest problem.
    I didn't watch him but he spent some time up on the roof switching around LNB inputs into the switch. It took several tries. But he got it to work.
    It seems as though installers do not have experience with the Dish Pro equipment...yet.
    Just make sure that when they changed the switch to dishProPlus that they did all the other gear as well.
    Yaesumofo

3. May 4, 2005 #3 of 39
    jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    I saw your other post in the General Dish Network discussion Yaesumofo. I'm a bit confused though, because in that one you said:

And in this thread, you said:
    It seems a contradictory. You need a power injector, and then you need to remove the power injector?

If there are always multiple signals required for the 921, in the scenario you are mentioning, they are just stacked onto one line. The signal isn't split, the two signals are separated into two cables that connect to the satellite inputs on the 921. Splitting attenuates the signal too much.

Does anybody know what Yaesumofo's installer did to make this work? I've read some stuff that a power inserter might be required on port 1 of the dpp44, but that it doesn't work if the power bias is on one of the 921 inputs. Is that confirmed true? Do you really need to do this by using a single line separator? I've got two lines running to the 921. Is there some sort of combiner that you use on the roof? Maybe it is done via one line with the separator so you can convert the other line as a dedicated line which is used to power port 1 on the dpp44?

I would sure like to know!

Thanks for any information that anyone has about this!

4. May 4, 2005 #4 of 39
    yaesumofo

yaesumofo Mentor

Apr 22, 2005
    Read carefully. Both posts indicate that a power injector is needed.

Yes he did remove the injector only to find out later that it is needed.
    Yaesumofo

5. May 4, 2005 #5 of 39
    n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    jsanders,
    To use the 921 with the DPP44 you must use the DPP seperator. It's just another of the 921 software bugs. It just currently will not work correctly running two lines from the switch.

6. May 4, 2005 #6 of 39
    yaesumofo

yaesumofo Mentor

Apr 22, 2005
    I asked him to not split the signal and to bring both signals to the 921 as it was set up when the SW64 was being used. I asked specifically fro him to connect it the way it was. When he did and a check switch was performed it only saw all 4 birds (110 119 148 61.5) on the #2 input and only one (110) bird on the #1 connection. When he did it his way by using a single coax which is divided at the receiver. This worked. He didn't call it a splitter (it looks like one) but is says dish network on it and is called a separator.
    All I can say is that a power injector is required and that a separator is used by bringing a single line from the dishproplus44 into a separator and feeding the 2 feeds from it to the two satellite connections on the 921.
    All I can say is that this works.
    Yaesumofo

7. May 4, 2005 #7 of 39
    yaesumofo

yaesumofo Mentor

Apr 22, 2005
    Is this a bug or it it by design? IF it works well this way it certainly saves energy money time ...on new installs while only using one feed from the switch.
    It works fine using the separator....as far as I can tell.
    Yaesumofo

8. May 4, 2005 #8 of 39
    dishbacker

dishbacker Godfather

Jun 15, 2004
    A side question on this is the $100 upgrade offer to get 61.5 added to your system included the cost of the DPP44? I thought those switches were running $200 a pop. If so, then that might be a very interesting deal.

9. May 4, 2005 #9 of 39
    jergenf

jergenf Godfather

Mar 31, 2005
    If required (for example you currently have a DP34) you'll get the DPP44 switch,
    plus an 18 inch dish and separator (also if required) all for $100. It would cost you $260 if you did it yourself.
    I will have my installation performed on May 7th and will forward my comments if there are any problems or new developments.

10. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Huh...well, this is obviously fixed in the next software version, because I've connected my 921 to my DPP44 without a separator under the last 2 betas, and my checkswitches are working just fine, seeing all 4 satellites with no problems.

11. AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie Icon

Jul 27, 2004
    Okay -- So let me get this straight. You just called up Dish and said I want a third dish so that I can get the 61.5 bird for the Voom HD channels? And they said they would get you setup (with whatever was needed, including installation) for $100? --- Wow! If so, I think I need to give them a call too. :D

--John

12. jergenf

jergenf Godfather

Mar 31, 2005
    So what you're saying is that a separator isn't needed for the 921 with software L213?
    Does the separator attenuate the signal more than not using one?
    Can the model 5000 receiver be used if I have the DPP44 switch
    (with 121 superdish and 61.5) the reason I ask is the model 5000 only showed 61.5, 110, 119 and 148 in its signal strength menu screen and not 121.

13. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying it won't have to be used in L214, if it does have to be used now. I have no idea about attenuating the signal. And I have no idea of a 5000 can be used with a DPP44. I imagine so, but I don't know for sure.

14. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    "DPP" (DishProPlus) gear mimics an SW 64 when you attach a legacy receiver to one of it's outputs. There is one caveat: you cannot see any "wing sats" on legacy receivers, only 119/110 http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=229 .

I know you have a switch, not the twin, but some of these points may also be true for your switch (especially the point about a special software download)
    I hope this helps.

15. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    jsanders, have you done a reset of the switch (disconnect power to power inserter, disconnect the LNB inputs re-connect the inserter and run a check switch) You should see the four positions with X's. Disconnect the inserter, reconnect the lnb's, re-connect the inserter and do another check switch. I at first tried to run my 921 with out a separator (2 cables), I got all satellites but only odd or even channels.

16. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Thanks for the suggestion boylehome, and yes, I did that a couple of times already. Interesting thing is that when you run the check switch w/o power so as to get nothing, it goes through 28 checks, whereas when it is powered, it only goes through four.

17. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Thanks for all of your suggestions everyone! Yaesumofo gave me enough information to figure it out.

It works now!

I picked up a DPP separator today and I took port three from the DPP44 switch, separated it, and ran both outputs into the 921. I ran the power inserter, without connection to a receiver, as a DC bias for port 1 of the switch, which powered the unit without involvement from the 921.

I did a check switch, and a few seconds later, 61.5 appeared with a signal strength of 88 (it was raining heavily at the time)!

About half a minute after that, the 10 voom channels appeared!

That was a hundred dollars well spent. It would be good though, if I had an installer that knew about this issue.

Again, thanks for all of your input. :goodjob:

18. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    That is interesting Michael, something to be aware of. Fortunately, I only had the 921 attached to the DPP44, no legacy receivers.

It would be nice if info like this was part of larger trouble shooting section on DBSTalk or somewhere similar.

19. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    My did the 28 checks when I had legacy equipment. My 311 go to 50 with nothing attached.

20. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I take back what I said above - I'm having problems with my 921 connected to 2 outputs of my DPP44 I believe. I'll be testing this futher tomorrow, but I now believe that a couple of things that I haven't been able to nail down may be caused by my hookup.