1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aspect ratio/screen size

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jandj, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jandj

jandj Mentor

Jan 14, 2007
    You would think by now that I would understand this. How come on most of the hd only channels (dsc,smithsonian,mgmetc...) the hd picture is always 16.9 or fits the entire widescreen tv. If I go to espnhd or lets say a regional sports network the picture looks like a square (4.3?) even in hd. On one of my sets I cant even change the view (wide zoom full etc...) Will this change over time? I was watching the Chicago Blackhawks last night and it did not fit the screen and the reciever said it was in 1080 and as soon as the game was over and they went to the postgame show it stayed in 1080 but fit the screen.

2. wmschultz

wmschultz DBSTalk Club Member DBSTalk Club

Jul 18, 2006
    The Blackhawks game that was on CSN was being broadcast in a 16:9 format
    but with a matted 4:3 picture. Because they are broadcasting it with the pillar
    bars, you can not stretch it with the receiver, your TV would have to have a
    zoom/stretch option built in. In comparison, look at TBS-HD or TNT-HD. Even
    though what they are showing fills up the entire 16:9 screen, it might not be a 16:9
    show. Turner broadcasting takes it upon themselves to stretch the content to fill the
    16:9 picture.

3. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    The reason you are seeing a square 4x3 picture on HD channels like ESPNHD or an HD RSN is because that show is not in HD but rather SD. Not every show on an HD channel is in HD (just like you can show a black and white show on a channel that can show color). In these cases, the channel puts the pillarboxes on the sides of the 4x3 image and then send it out to the TV providers (D*, E*, cable). So it really is a 16x9 image but part of it is the pillarboxes on each side. The reason your TV can't change the view is because the data is telling it the show is 16x9 and 1080i and therefore the TV is designed to not let you zoom/crop.

Other channels (TNT, TBS) will stretch a 4x3 show so it does fill the enter 16x9 screen, but this results in a distorted picture.

4. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    Some programmers stretch their broadcasts to fill out the entire 16x9 screen, thus distorting the picture. ESPN maintains their picture (no distortion by stretching) and fills in the left and right sides with bars w/ ESPN logo.
    As to not being able to change the view via stretch, full, etc. - it's likely that the TV is receiving a full screen of 1080i info, it's just that some of that info is "bars" and thus shouldn't be modified.
    As to the blackhawks situation - not all broadcast cameras (HD or SD) produce a 16x9 picture. In this case the TV cameras at the game were likely 4x3 aspect ratio while the studio cameras were 16x9.

5. jandj

jandj Mentor

Jan 14, 2007
    Will this change over time?? I find it really annoying.

6. pacjag

pacjag Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Another thing to remember is that HD is not defined by a picture format but by a pixel density. A 4:3 broadcast can be HD and a 16:9 broadcast can be SD.

7. arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    It will change when you replace the set that can't zoom/crop/stretch/mangle the picture to your liking, with one that can.

Do your homework and make sure a tv has all the features you want, before buying it.

8. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Are you sure? My TVs have those features but with an HD broadcast they only have two format choices and neither one will fill the screen I don't want the screen filled, just speaking of the OP's wishes.

9. cybervet

cybervet Cool Member

Aug 21, 2006
    I don't know about everyone else, but I am getting frustrated with some of the stretch-o-vision.

How many have noticed that on "The Universe" the planets are oval? Here all these years I thought they were round. It seems that for that show at least, they actually squish the picture from top to bottom so they can put in the channel logo.

just my $0.02.

10. arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    My sony will zoom and stretch any channel, regardless of resolution it's being fed.

I use the Zoom feature rarely and only when something is being shown 16:9 within a 4:3 frame. I'd rather see programming in the original aspect ratio, the way it was intended, than worry about whether the screen is filled.

11. jandj

jandj Mentor

Jan 14, 2007

My Bravia will do all that but my crt sony will not work for some reason. It used to before the hd recioever

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The Sony might only have those features for 480i or 480p sources, and I'm guessing your receiver is putting out 720p or 1080i.

13. jandj

jandj Mentor

Jan 14, 2007
    You are 100% correct. Interesting. thank you

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Sonys can either do it or not [depends on the model].
    Five years ago, my Sony would only change format for 480i.
    Last year's Sony will do it for all resolutions.

15. jandj

jandj Mentor

Jan 14, 2007

Thanks you guys are right

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.