1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT-9 Discontinued? 103b trouble.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by KCCardsfan, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 1, 2007 #1 of 17
    KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan Godfather

Apr 18, 2007
    Need feedback on my 103b problems, and my conclusion:

My HD locals are on 99 so the new HD channels tested the 103 lnb for the first time, my AT9 was installed 12/06.
    I started to notice Saturday after dark when it cools down outside that the new HD channels were breaking up, then last night & tonight I lost them completely, 771 on both tuners, clear sky, can see the stars, no trees, no wind.
    During the day I have no trouble & my 103b readings are 84-97 on both tuners, it's just at night & all other channels including MPEG2 HD continue to work fine. I checked 4 movie recordings from the last few nights, 11p-5am & all were blank.
    Today I checked all connectors, bolts on the dish and all were OK. My conclusion is from my install days (1000+ pre-HD) is a bad LNB, thermal problem with the cool nights/fine during the warmer daytime.
    So I called Directv, 1st time calling for service issues because pre-HD always repaired myself, I explained what I found to service, they would only send a tech out @ $70 to see if they could find anything.
    I explained again they won't find anything during the day, so they said they would replace the Dish, at my cost. I asked for retention and explained this all to them & they understood that there was no way to know the LNB was bad before last week so they set up a no charge call to replace my AT9 with a Slimline. According to Directv the AT9 is no longer supported.
    I think it helped that I'm a customer since 96 & had never called & complained for credits.
    Any questions or comments are welcome, I believe I'm on the right track.

2. Oct 1, 2007 #2 of 17
    PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Certainly possible that a temp drop during the night may be the cause of your problems. And yes, the AT9 is no longer available. It's been phased out in favor of the Slimline.

3. Oct 2, 2007 #3 of 17
    Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    I've got an AT9 and love it. Still runs like a champ and has minimal rain fade. Your conclusion could very well be correct and has valid points. Another thing - When you're getting a good signal - do you have more than one of your receivers active within the home? At night, do you power them into Standby? I ask this because at my friend's home, we couldn't get a decent signal to one of his receivers. It would lose signal lock and fade in and out... So, someone went upstairs and turned on the TV upstairs so we could listen to the XM Radio channel from there. As soon as the DIRECTV box turned on upstairs, we got a clear, locked signal downstairs. I am pretty sure it's a cable issue, poor quality - probably RG59 which is causing this issue at his home and being an installer yourself, I don't believe you would have the same trouble. Just a thought for troubleshooting. :)

4. Oct 2, 2007 #4 of 17
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I wish I had the spare money to buy a Slimline, put it up and compare the two. And I'd have the Slimline in case the AT9 went south.

But I'm sending all my spare money to D*...

5. Oct 2, 2007 #5 of 17
    K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    They're practically giving them away on eBay at ~$65 delivered. Since you left the "time" out of "time and money," we nominate you to set up the official "paulman182 Satellite Antenna Testing Range"! ($1 Contributions Welcome)

6. Oct 2, 2007 #6 of 17
    KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan Godfather

Apr 18, 2007
    All 4 receivers in my house are on 24/7.

7. Oct 2, 2007 #7 of 17
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That's the second time someone has posted that AT9s are no longer supported, or obsolete.

They are still supported, just as every old single LNB dish out there is still supported. Sometimes the support means replacement with something more modern.

As far as I know there is no difference between AT9 and slimline dishes as far as reception goes, and I can tell you from experience that an AT9 dish works just fine with both the new HDs and older (I mean OLDER, older) legacy receivers.

8. Oct 2, 2007 #8 of 17
    KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan Godfather

Apr 18, 2007
    No argument here, Just passing on what D* retention told me, D* policy is to have the installers (Ironwood in my area) replace the AT-9 with a Slimline instead of replacing the LNB, doesn't matter to me either way as long as my 103b channels stay on after dark.
    My initial request was simple, send me the LNB & I'll replace it myself, that's when I was told D* no longer stocks the LNB or the dish & neither did the installers. If this is untrue, then it's untrue, but it's what I and a few others have been told. I'll find out Monday when Ironwood gets here, I'll post their version of the story & what they did to fix my problem.
    This very well could be another case of different stories from different CSR's, although when I spoke to the service department first I was told the same thing.

As soon as the sun came up this morning my new HD channels came back on, just like the last two mornings.

9. Oct 8, 2007 #9 of 17
    KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan Godfather

Apr 18, 2007
    Ironwood came out today and replaced my AT9 with a Slimline, they confirmed what I was told by D* that they no longer carry & D* no longer supplies LNB's for the AT9. According to the tech today they have replaced several AT9's, before & after 103b came online. It is to be quite a bit cooler here in KC this week compared to last week so I'll see if this was the trouble.
    The big difference I noticed was the signal levels, on 103b I went from 84-97 to 96-98 on all transponders, both tuners. Quite a difference seeing all above 96, my sat 99 signals for my HD locals went from 94 to 100 & saw several 98-100 on sat 101 also .
    I see several posts calling the techs names or saying they don't know what they are doing, but this dish was peaked by a rookie in training, he and his trainer were extremely knowledgeable on what was going on. Very pleased with the service call.

10. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    This seems like a correct policy statement, as Ironwood was out at my house last night attempting to put weatherproof grommets on all exposed and coupled cables (which I refused btw cuz my signal is great right now and I don't want anyone messing with my dish, switch, or cables!), and the installer mentioned they've been instructed to actually replace AT-9s with Slimlines in all cases. I of course refused the dish swap also.

IIRC, the AT-9s that have had problems have been LNB problems from a single manufacturer, Andrew. I have a Wistrom Neweb dish and LNB and it works just fine, so "no thanks" on the swapout for me.

11. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    Calamp more than Andrew, based on reports here so far, but there may actually be more Calamps out there, too.....'

12. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Good point. I wasn't aware CalAmp made the LNBs for AT-9s. Thought they were only Slimlines.

EDIT: Wait - I think I was aware. Oh who knows... :lol:

13. KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan Godfather

Apr 18, 2007
    4 Days & counting without any 771, HD freeze up or any problems at all with 103b, and it's been at least 10 degrees cooler at night.

Problem for me was definitely a bad LNB, nothing else was changed on my system.

14. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Well add me 2 the list of people with LNB issues on an AT9 actually this is my second lnb issue for I lost the 119 lnb about 7 months ago and then yesterday I lost the 101 lnb seems to start working again during the day with sun on the dish but at night no signal on any transponders from 101 all the other stat location are mid to high 90's in signal strength.

When the local install company called today to confirm my service call tommorow they said they would note for the tech to bring a new dish with him I guess the slimline for they said that they did not think they had any replacement lnbs in their warehouse for the AT9.

My AT9 was a CalAmp.

15. KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan Godfather

Apr 18, 2007
    My AT9 was a Cal-Amp also.

16. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    Had an AT9. Lost 110, and low signals on 119. Directv replaced it with a Slimline at the same location. Everything is in mid 90s, incuding 103B. Don't know why its better (could be aiming, shape, who knows), but I'm happy and to me it looks smaller.

17. SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    Still having this problem after the tech came out today to replace connectors on the dish. I think I will can D* and suggest they replace my AT9 with a slimline. I'm sick and tired of this 771 nonsense. Just like the OP mine will be fine and then die at night and then comeback. But I lose 10-15 minutes of programming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.