AT&T Alert!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MysteryMan, Nov 23, 2020.

1. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    AT&T is alerting DIRECTV customers of a scam. When I checked MESSAGES this morning one of three messages stated "Beware of Imposters pretending to be DIRECTV, they ask for urgent payment on gift cards. Learn more @ www.att.com/cyberaware". Problems like this have been reported in the past by DBSTalk members but for AT&T to post a message like this must mean it is now widespread.

longhorn23, krel and dtv757 like this.
  2. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i read some of the deals 50% off when they pay for an xx amount of time. DTV never calls there customers with special deals!!!!

3. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    I got a msg on my dtv inbox in the guide warning me about this issue..

4. Miller

Miller AllStar

Jul 21, 2005
    They did in the past. I have been a D* sub since 97 and they have called me several times over the years to offer free stuff. Nothing since ATT took over though.

krel likes this.
  5. Claude A Greiner

Claude A Greiner DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 7, 2018
    Dish has the same problem. Never pay for anything with gift cards.

The only reason why this scam exists is because people are stupid enough to fall for it. As long as the scam works, it will continue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I reported this scam earlier here: New "Special Discount" offer

I have also seen the alert, and have received at least one more call since my original post.

In case anyone is interested, the call-back number is 1-866-443-0342. If you call the number, you will get an automated attendant that sounds pretty much like the one you get from a valid DTV call.

Robocall.PNG

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    For several years my bar/restaurant has received calls claiming to be from Dish saying the bill hasn't been paid or something like that (can't remember the exact wording) Probably get 2-3 a week.

I assume some scammer has a big list of bars and calls them hoping to get managers who don't know the difference between Directv and Dish who answer the phone to give out the corporate credit card. Or maybe they demand gift cards, who knows.

I mean, I hope it has to be a scam and not Dish legitimately having the wrong number for someone's account. Because if someone hasn't been paying their bill for that long, they really should be cut off :)

8. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    any one else getting more and more SPAM DirecTV calls.

I even got a call today from a Pungo, VA Exchange (757-426 Exchange) . My VZW Spam filter doesn't Filter out these calls cause it thinks it from a normal landline.

the call will end with press 1 to speak to a rep about your DirecTV account, then hangs up after 13 seconds.

i did call yesterday and advised 2 other DirecTV spam calls I received from local numbers.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020