AT&T announced DirecTV over the top service

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CincySaint, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Mar 1, 2016 #1 of 21
    CincySaint

CincySaint AllStar

Jan 16, 2008
    Three tiers of service:

• DirecTV Now, comprising a range of content packages, letting customers access the service over a wired or wireless Internet connection and on Internet-enabled devices;
    • DirecTV Mobile, a “mobile-first” service for consumers who want to watch premium video and made-for-digital content directly on a smartphone, regardless of wireless provider; and
    • DirecTV Preview, a free, ad-supported service for anyone with a wired or wireless Internet connection featuring some of the programming available on DirecTV today, including originals from the AT&T Audience Network and millennial-focused video programming fromOtter Media, a joint venture of AT&T and the Chernin Group.

Variety article

Verge article

2. Mar 1, 2016 #2 of 21
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I see two will have their own price tags. Will those getting regular sat service be offer any deal?

3. Mar 1, 2016 #3 of 21
    iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    this would be great for me. i can't have a dish where i am and i am stuck with cable. as a longtime directv customer, i would love to be able to watch service in a manner that doesn't require either a dish or a set top box.

4. Mar 1, 2016 #4 of 21
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    What happens to att uverse IPTV?

5. Mar 1, 2016 #5 of 21
    CincySaint

CincySaint AllStar

Jan 16, 2008
    AT&T has started to deemphasize U-Verse. LINK

Using copper anywhere in the connection was a bad idea.

6. Mar 1, 2016 #6 of 21
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    It's mentioned in the articles:
    This will be something different and not just U-Verse TV via the internet. If you look at Sling TV and Sony's Playstation Vue, even with the channels they do offer, you can't get all the shows you get on an actual cable/satellite subscription. Some channels like A&E have to blackout some shows because they don't have the online rights to them, other channels also have to blackout some movies, especially ones from 3rd party studios, because they don't have the streaming rights. (i.e. when NBC aired It's A Wonderful Life over the holidays, their O&O streams replaced it with SVU and Chicago PD reruns)

7. Mar 1, 2016 #7 of 21
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    but fiber subs should not have to deal with rain fade

8. Mar 1, 2016 #8 of 21
    sat01

sat01 Cool Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I always get fliers in my mailbox for U-Verse and every time I check... nope. not available in my area. I never really considered dish or direcTV b/c of that lame dish requirement. Sling would have been a good option, except they don't have local channels (and no, I don't want a lame antenna for local stuff). So I'm kind of stuck in limbo. hulu, same problem, no local channels. But I'm interested in this though, if for no other reason that some needed competition, and I assume will have local channels. My cable company just raised the rate for the 4th time in less than a year.

9. Mar 2, 2016 #9 of 21
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Why do you assume this will have local channels, when Dish was not able to negotiate for them when they started earlier? Since dishes are lame and antennas are lame if this offering includes locals I wouldn't be shocked if you found something about it you feel is lame as well, like the price! :sure:

1 person likes this.
  10. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    I realize this is mostly speculation at this point but:

1. If you have the maximum Directv package would this internet capability be included for free?

2. Would you be able to get rid of some of the receivers in additional rooms by being able to add a Directv app through something like a Fire TV or Roku?

3. One day in the future could you totally recreate the same experience one has with a roof dish and Genie through the internet? Or would this use too much bandwidth to be practical, would 5g be necessary to accomplish this?

11. linuspbmo

linuspbmo AllStar

Oct 2, 2009
    I would be surprised if the price wasn't lame also.

12. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    1. Who knows
    2. Maybe, but presumably Directv knows they'd be giving up those $7/month revenue streams and would want to adjust pricing accordingly
    3. Someday probably - but it will be a long time because not all channels will allow OTT distribution. And it doesn't have anything to do with 5G, it isn't dependent on AT&T fixed wireless offering you could use it with any internet service wired or wireless so long as the speed and caps allow it.

Let's do a little math. If we assume the average HD channel is about 4 Mbps when HEVC compressed, that's 1.8 GB/hr. With 250 GB the popular cap these days, that's about 4.5 hours of TV a day - and that's assuming you only watch ONE TV in your house and don't use your internet for anything else.

Think the caps will be raised above that level due to customer demand? Think again, if you're using your cable company as your ISP why should they make it easy for you to dump cable TV for OTT alternatives? Certainly not in areas with little broadband competition. Even Centurylink, which offers TV to only a tiny fraction of its customers, is enforcing caps now in some areas.

13. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Keep mind there's a carrot and a stick with this technology. The carrot for directv, much like the recently-added screensaver and Watch from the Beginning, more commercial viewing by us. That's a big negotiating perk for them when they contract with networks. That's a big Stick for me.

14. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Yes it sounds like I will be keeping the traditional dish for a long time which is no big deal, after reading up on Directv Anywhere, if you have the maximum package, you can pretty much watch most channels live on your tablet or phone or computer already, correct?

15. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    If cable company caps are keeping you from streaming another companies video product, you have an anti-trust issue. The FCC (and the courts if it goes as far as a lawsuit) is likely to side with the consumer.

16. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Antitrust is only a concern if the cable company limits streaming from Directv but allows unlimited streaming from say Netflix. If there's a cap that's enforced equally no matter the content or originator, there is nothing the law can or should do about it.

17. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    This announcement seems to go against the combined box theory

18. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    Not really they are still going to have UVerseTV. Unless they have decided to turn UVerseTV into an OTT service?

19. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    The plan was never to include uversetv in the combined box... It was to be a DirecTV box with a internet back up of sorts if there was rain fade so to speak... This still somewhat makes sense for that if the new box will support Apps

20. Jasqid

Jasqid Legend

Oct 26, 2008
    Ohio
    DirecTV better get their act together for a universal windows app to support this.