AT&T Approves, DTV Rejects

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Cavicchi, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    When I signed up for DTV service, a supervisor said I would get two AT&T reward visa cards at $100 each. The offer was to entice me to join DTV. I accepted the offer and expected it to be valid. I received an email to confirm both AT&T reward visa cards at $100 dollars each and did that. I received one card and waited for the other. Time passed and I checked daily to see the progress. Today I checked and lo and behold the second confirmation, which was approved, stated disqualified because--
    "We're sorry, but our records indicate your
    service has been disconnected, which
    disqualifies you from receiving your reward."

Now, that is not true, I have service and have not disconnected. Sooo, I call DTV and after the agent speaks with a supervisor, says I am not supposed to get two reward cards. I tell him that is what i was promised upon signing up with DTV, but he and the supervisor do not care.

So AT&T approves it and DTV apparently rejects it. My thinking is what you are promised upon agreeing to accept service is a valid agreement. Am I wrong? A DTV supervisor put it through for me to get two reward visa cards, and that's what I think should occur whether or not that is their normal policy.

dp35654 likes this.
  2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This surprises you?

Rich

dp35654 and DishCSR like this.
  3. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Yes! I don't think that is legal. I have proof that a reward card was issued, approved and rejected for a false reason.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would press them for it if you have it in writing.

5. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Do you have it in writing? Not sure an email will count since they can just say you edited it... if you have it in writing or handwriting, etc. they should honor it... also, I'd try call them again as well. Maybe a few times. You can call up AT&T & DirecTV 1000 times about the same exact question and get 1734 different answers.

Rich and jimmie57 like this.
  6. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    I printed out the pages showing approved Reward cards with their confirmation numbers.

I did try calling AT&T but after waiting over 20 minutes for someone to pick up, I switched to online chat. The chat person said that disqualification was an error and changed it to approved. However, it was approved before and then got disqualified. I will wait and see what happens this time. If it goes the same route as before, I shall look to small claims court as the answer.

This practice of offering and then removing to get people to signup looks like a legal issue to me. I entered an agreement based on what they offered, and I expect them to fulfill that obligation.

7. pistolpete52

pistolpete52 AllStar

Sep 3, 2010
    No surprise there. It's happening to me. I'm a win back customer and was promised a $200 Visa gift card, and it will be issued in 6-8 weeks. I check online, and it says I don't qualify. I try calling the number that was given to me, and after being on hold for 30 minutes, I hung up.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but it seems like DTV's customer service has gone way downhill since the AT&T takeover.

dp35654 likes this.
  8. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    How long have your pockets been deeper than at&t?

dp35654 likes this.
  9. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Did you read all the fine print? There's probably lots of ifs, ands or buts all over it. They bury nice phrases in there like "subject to approval", "restrictions apply", etc.

Also, don't forget, it typically will cost you $30 - $50 just to file in small claims court. Then throw in all the time and aggrevations, time off of work, etc. I had a friend that went to small claims and he said it took him 6 months of work before his case went to court and he won. You aren't going to get your $100 tommorow lol...

Instead of calling the normal CSR line, you might also try the executive offices or whatever they call it... but like I said, read all the fine print carefully and think about how it can be twisted against you.

dp35654, Rich, DishCSR and 1 other person like this.
  10. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    There is no doubt I qualify because both Reward cards were approved. The only reason one was rejected was, and i quote:

dp35654 likes this.
  11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I would like to know the full story. Who was your previous provider? Have you had dtv before? Did you ask for the actual reason they denied it?

And it does seem like they have it to you in the end. But I'd want to know why they denied in the first place.

It's annoying when companies appear to not follow through. And illegal if you don't get something you are entitled to. Thing is they don't deny just to deny and try and save money. They know it would cost them millions. So it's either some screw up with the machines which is totally believable with the merger or there's something that we don't know yet.

12. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Have you tried calling again yet? I'd keep calling till I got an answer. And what did they say was the reason for denial? If that's not there I'd want a discussion with a supervisor just for that as a complaint.

13. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    What has the previous provider to do with it?
    Look, the DTV supervisor ordered two AT&T Visa Reward cards @100 dollar each for me. It went to AT&T and they approved both cards. I received one and while waiting for the other, I checked and saw it was disqualified for the reason I stated earlier--stated on the website of AT&T--that I don't have service. Of course that is nonsense.

So I called DTV and was told I would not get the second reward card because they do not approve two for the same person.

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It's always been pretty terrible. Is it really worse since ATT took over? Maybe, the Access Card phone number no longer exists...does the AC department exist? Retention no longer seems to have the very savvy folks that used to inhabit it. But is it really worse? I dunno.

Rich

dp35654 likes this.
  15. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Honestly, a couple reasons.

One is if you came from Uverse. It would tell us if the systems between the two companies are half together and causing this issue which I could easily see happening. Technically in one way you aren't a new customer to att but you kind of are and the system probably isn't happy about it. But at least there is some sort of reasoning that makes sense behind it.

Also, I want to know if all you did was switch DIRECTV service from your name to your wife's or something like that. We have seen people try that many times and I don't blame DIRECTV for rejecting if the issue is something like that. Or if you moved and tried to set up new service instead of movers connection. Or canceled a couple weeks ago or something like that. That's trying to get around the systems intent and then the system catches it where the people might not.

I dont think that's what you did but you never know.

I am looking for the real reason why they stated you don't qualify and without knowing the actual full history it's a lot harder to guess. There is a reason the system flagged you. I'm guessing you might know what that reason could be coming from.

Troch2002 likes this.
  16. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    I had Blue Ridge Cable.

I have stated the reason quite a few times now, but for you, here:

The above appears on the Reward Center,

As for DirecTV, again, I have stated that before as well, but for you, here: I was told they do not issue more than one Reward card per customer.

As for the latter, a DirecTV supervisor gave me an extra Reward card as incentive to signup. Two Reward cards were issued in my name--my wife has nothing to do with this--and AT&T approved both Reward cards.

17. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    In addition, after approval, there is validation of service--and that's where the BS of me not having service comes in.

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Was this transaction done at a ATT store or over the phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Over the phone with DirecTV.

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Oh darn....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk