1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT&T Changes its Smartphone data pricing

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Mike Bertelson, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Jun 2, 2010 #1 of 52
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I know a few people who want a smartphone but don't want to pay $30/mo for a data plan. Maybe this will be inexpensive enough?

"Newcomers will have two options: Under the DataPlus plan, subscribers can pay $15 a month for 200 megabytes of data; that would handle about 400 photos or 100 minutes of streaming video. The DataPro plan offers 10 times that capacity, 2 gigabytes, for $25."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indus...-02-att-smartphone_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Mike

2. Jun 2, 2010 #2 of 52
    BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
  3. Jun 2, 2010 #3 of 52
    Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    I wonder if this will push the price down on the iPhone data plan.

4. Jun 2, 2010 #4 of 52
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Seems like a step towards cheaper data plans. I wonder how many actually truly go over 2GB, I know a lot will complain, but I bet many don't actually go over that number.

Plus the overages are not ridiculous at least.

5. Jun 2, 2010 #5 of 52
    kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Its going in the right direction... I would like to upgrade to smart phone but I wouldn't plan on using ATT wireless internet, just the wifi part. I would like to see some flat rate like I do I pull the net on my razor.

6. Jun 2, 2010 #6 of 52
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    It's a whole different ballgame when you have a smart phone than you're razor. The flat rate per kb would easily get you over the data plan unless you micromanaged your phone all the time. So many applications pull data automatically now that's why companies require you to have the data plan. They got sick of people getting upset because they didn't know what the device they bought was doing. This caused a huge amount of billing disputes and the cell phone industry's ratings to tank. Ever since they have made that policy their ratings have gone back up. Don't get me wrong they're not looking out for anyone other than themself, but I saw some crazy bills when smart phones started to become the "norm" due to this.

7. Jun 2, 2010 #7 of 52
    dpfaunts

dpfaunts Godfather

Oct 17, 2006
  8. Jun 2, 2010 #8 of 52
    Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    I don’t use my iPhone for data intensive activities. I’ve never used more than 200MB with my iPhone. Normally it’s less than 125MB. I use it for email, as a PDA, and some light internet use, so in my case one of the lower data plans would be better.

Mike

9. Jun 2, 2010 #9 of 52
    raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
  10. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Part of this change is the elimination of the iPhone Data plan, unless you stay with it and are grandfathered.

I don't love going away from Unlimited, but at least they did make it somewhat reasonable at 2gb and they lowered the price. So, most people will see a reduction in cost. I honestly would have expected they would try to cap it at 500mb to 1gb and keep the price the same. Plus, as mentioned, teh overage rates are not too terribly bad. Maybe the ATT wirelsss folks need to talk to teh ATT internet folks as this makes the aborted metered data trials from last year look even worse.

I use between 500-750 meg, but I use WIFI extensively. THose not on WIFI, I can see getting close to these caps in the right conditions.

One thing I will say is they need to fix the iPhone so that if you are associated with a WIFI access point, that it does not use cell data for anything until you move away from it. As it is now, I can have the phone at home all night long, get no texts or calls and it is still using data from the ATT cell network checking email and whatnot. For people who go to the $15 plan, this can actually be a significant amount of usage.

ALso, what happens to people with microcells? WIll they get charged for Data that goes over their landline internet connection anyway? I assume not.

11. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I don't see the point in using a phone to access the web or TV/video. The trend at home is to larger and larger screens. When even my netbook has a 10.1" screen, and most of my computers are clocking in at 20+ inches, why would I want to strain my eyes peering at a 3" phone (smart or otherwise) display? They are too small to do anything other than display caller ID info. I don't even text.

12. hookemfins

hookemfins Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    Then it's not for you. But you are in the minority.

Where wireless isn't available (or don't want to lug around a computer) business people need to access email everywhere. Some need to access the web on the go. My mom finds it easier to get her email from her iphone then the computer.

I'll be at the ncaa baseball regionals this weekend and I'll be following the scores from around the country or MLB games.

Will it decrease the strain on the overloaded networks? I tend to still say no.
    If 98% don't use more than 2GB/month, how will this decrease usage?

13. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    That's a very attractive plan. Now I could pay $15 a month for "no service" just about everywhere I go.:rolleyes:

14. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Right now I don't have internet access in my home other than using my phone on the 3g network of my cell phone provider, and yes I'm using my phone right now for this. I can tether my lap top to my phone to surf the net at no cost. So a unlimited data plan is best for me as I often download programs and updates to my laptop and to my phone.

15. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    I'm lucky here in the northeast. I have 3G service everywhere I go. :D

Mike

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Actually I think it will work out well at my house.

17. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm just green with envy, actually.

18. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    OK, so I posted about the phone using Cell data in spite of Wifi Conections. I reset my stats on my iPhone after that post above, at 11:30 Eastern. The phone has been in the presence of WIFI the entire time.

Now its 3:00 and I've used 1.5 megabytes down and 258 k up according to the Usage screen on my phone. So, at that rate, you are looking at about 6 megs a day, which is about 180 megabytes for the month combining up and down and I had 32 minutes of usage time which means it was connecting with WIFI then instead of the cell network.

So, unless something is drastically wrong with my iPhone, it seems very likely that only the lowest of the low users will be able to deal with the $15 plan. Heck, even cut it in half and you are brning through almost half your cap without doing anythign active.

IT would be interesting to see what others are finding in this scenario.

19. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    I assume when you say "in the presence of" you mean connected to?

Mike

20. Karen

Karen Godfather

Oct 4, 2007
    My iPhone is connected to wifi whenever I'm in my house, and that is almost all day, every day. The most I've used in a month is 70 megs. I normally use between 20 and 40 megs per month. The $15 plan will be perfect for me.