AT&T/DirecTV backing Locast

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by 1948GG, Jul 7, 2019.

1. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Recent large expansions and improvements in the Locast broadcast via internet service seemed to come straight out of nowhere, but a press release seems to have slipped under the radar, in that at&t donated $500k to Locast, which at least appears to have made both LA and SF markets, complete with subchannels, go 'live' recently.

Also of note is apparently (I don't live in either market and dumped DirecTV almost a year ago) their DVR system has been updated to 'tune' Locast through the internet (unknown as to actual record capability).

And why would they do this? Recent kron4/sf fee dispute holds the key. Nexstar, kron4 owners, Jack's up carridge fees. DirecTV (and also apparently uverse subscribers) simply jump over to the Locast stream to continue to receive the broadcasts. Checkmate AT&T.

Maybe Nexstar rethinks their position, or decides to sue Locast. Will be very interesting to see how this plays out in the coming days.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
  3. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    Question. If I create an account on locast will this replace the AM-21/LCC OTA reception?

4. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Two things right off the bat. First, a fuller slate of channels than DTV carries, including most of not all subchannels that DTV has never shown any interest in. When Locast started out, they seemed to have skipped those (subchannels), but have been aggressively back filling cities recently, and the newer additions (like la and sf) have had a complete slate since day one. Second, no more blackouts. Third (yes, a third), cost. Even if one gives a $5/month donation, that's much cheaper.

In my market, currently unserved by Locast, to receive all local dma channels (one third of which are not carried by DTV) lowest cost to get all those via Comcast is $20/month streaming (instant tv).

The only downside, which I've pointed out to Locast, is lack of a DVR service; but that has more to do with the electronics manufacturers failure to come up with a streaming dvr solution, concentrating on ota tuner equipped boxes. Great for those with big-city antennas, not so much for those with good internet outside the range of ota transmissions.

5. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    AT&T/DIRECTV have chosen to implement, rather than integrate, the Locast functionality as an app, so it is not "reception-dependent." That is, any channels that are available in any given Locast-served DMA are received via IP, rather than OTA and, as such, are not integrated into the DIRECTV guide---so, no, it does not at all replace an AM21/LCC with regard to functionality or "recepetion."