AT&T-DIRECTV customers may lose up to 10 channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by lyradd, Apr 27, 2019.

1. lyradd

lyradd Legend

Mar 20, 2006
    KEEP MY CHANNELS

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I hate the misinformation these people push when there is a dispute. I love how they don't mention how much of a ridiculous price hike they want...

3. y2k02c5

y2k02c5 Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    Meh. Nothing I can’t live without.

jimmie57 and TheRatPatrol like this.
  4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A&E Networks ---
    "Up to 10 channels may be removed from the AT&T-DIRECTV channel lineups: A&E, HISTORY, LIFETIME, LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK, FYI, VICELAND, LRW, HISTORY EN ESPANOL, MILITARY HISTORY and CRIME + INVESTIGATION."
    "You could lose these channels if you subscribe to any of the following services: DIRECTV, DIRECTV NOW, AT&T U-VERSE and AT&T WATCH TV."

AT&T - AT&T TV Promise - A&E Negotiation News
    "We’re on the side of choice and value for our customers, and we want to keep History, A+E, and Lifetime in your TV lineup. We’re disappointed to see A+E Networks put you into the middle of negotiations, but we hope to avoid any interruption to their channels."

I don't see a date on either website.

5. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Live PD even said that you may lose LIVE PD AND 10 channels

6. 24Flames

24Flames Legend

Aug 23, 2007
    Just tried to go to the keepmychannels website and it's down. Go figure. Could care less about almost all of those channels.....EXCEPT we do watch shows on A&E and are big fans of Live PD. Just read an article where the A&E Networks President says AT&T is trying to gain an unfair advantage. Well, duh?!?! If he has those kind of "harsh" words for DIRECTV/AT&T, I can only imagine what he'll have to say about DISH during their next negotiations. ;) Still, DIRECTV rarely loses national channels and I'm hoping they don't set a precedent here. That's why I've never subscribed to DISH. Not worried at this point.

7. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    And nothing of importance is lost by losing these ten channels at all.

y2k02c5 likes this.
  8. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Clearly you never took a look at the ratings for their networks. Their shows are regularly in the top 25 every night, and Live PD is usually the higest rated show the nights it airs and is only beaten when it's head to head with playoff sports. A few weeks ago, DirecTV had a signal issue for a few minutes with A&E during LivePD, the complaints from viewers about it on twitter actually got DirecTV listed as a trend in the USA.

Not to mention the numerous people in the HD anticipation threads who still include the non-carried Military History channel in their anticipation lists, despite not having a HD feed at all. (Which is also why it says "up to 10", because U-Verse carries Military History and Lifetime Real Women and DirecTV doesn't, while DirecTV Now doesn't have the equivelent of Movies/HD Extra so they don't have Crime + Investigation at all)

BTW, AETN took down their keep my channels website...hopefully this is a good sign, especially if you have someone in your family who primarily watches programming on some of their channels who won't give a crap about how negotiation tactics work.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  9. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    I remember that. The first 9 minutes or so were stuck on the last frame of an ad.

10. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Many of those channels are on in my house. Hope it does get resolved.

KyL416 likes this.
  11. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    They are dark already at my house - should they be dropped from the channel line up -the D* tv Price will not ever be lower only higher.

12. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Thankfully everyone else who has the horrible "I don't watch this therefore no one else cares/should care either so drop them" take about negotiations, until it affects a channel that they and their household personally care about, will never be in a position to have the final say in contract renewals affecting 20+ million subscribers. Especially if they're that ignorant about what people in the country actually watch and what channels have the highest rated content.

And when it does affect one of their favorites, it will probably be the channel to alert you about it first, since if it were up to DirecTV/AT&T you would be in the dark about it until the channel is pulled. Yes there's the monthly public notices, but that's only for U-Verse TV and doesn't always apply to DirecTV unless it's a channel where the contracts are already combined, while the fighting for you/tv promise site doesn't get updated until after the channel takes a potential dispute public.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I managed to get in last night around 1am-2am. Now password protected. It was probably opened up prematurely.

That was the claim on on A&E website before it was taken down. :)

As KyL416 noted, you probably have favorite channels that others don't like. Would you like it if other people were trashing your favorite channels? Statistically these channels have high viewership, even if they do not include you.

14. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I don't think hardly anyone watches Military History or DTV would already have that channel. Or would a new deal let DTV have Military History on DTV because as part of the deal they could still just have it on UVerseTV. Military History is only on UVerseTV and Fios TV.

15. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    They mentioned it during LivePD last night so they knew what they were doing by having the site go live when they did.

The link is the same one from previous AETN disputes, it's password protected when there's no current dispute so it doesn't appear in search engine indexes. Fox usually password protects their dispute site too, I was checking for that one to go live regularly when they put up the alternate Fox DNS channels in test mode in December. Although right now that KeepFox site's in a weird non-configured state since the domain was transferred to the "new" Fox while the servers it was hosted on was the FX ones transferred to Disney.

EDIT: The site is live again and has been updated to remove the contact your provider now talking points and replaced it with a general we are continuing to have talks statement.

carlsbad_bolt_fan likes this.
  16. 24Flames

24Flames Legend

Aug 23, 2007
    Thanks for the update. Just checked and yes, the keepmychannels website reads much different than around 24 hours ago. Now it's just a simple, brief message saying "AT&T - DIRECTV customers, we are working to ensure you keep A&E, HISTORY, LIFETIME and all of the A+E Networks currently available to you. Thank you for your support." I agree, it makes me wonder what happened to lower the tone and rhetoric. Hopefully this is a positive sign.

17. je4755

je4755 Godfather

Dec 11, 2006
    As a Premier package customer, I’d like DirecTV to maximize the number of offerings available to me, including the channels under discussion. In truth I rarely watch them (except History when, in the day, its programming actually reflected the name of the channel) but want the option of viewing their shows should I feel so disposed.

In this regard, I remain displeased beIN Sports has been removed since I enjoyed La Liga games, especially those involving Barcelona (permitting me to witness the unalloyed brilliance of Leo Messi).

On a happier (and unrelated) note, for the moment I no longer need to recheck the 4k resolution box in settings/display before accessing 4k and 4k/HDR presentations.

Soccernut likes this.
  18. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    I know what you mean about the History channel; I was watching it while waiting for my car to get service at a dealership and they were talking about alternative theories to what killed off the dinosaurs(as opposed to the astoroid hit) and when they started talking about the possibility that an atomic bomb killed off the dinosaurs, I decided to take a walk.

19. Soccernut

Soccernut AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    I watch some of the channels but would be happy with a discount if they drop them.
    Now dropping the La Liga channel pissed me off, cant see the play of the Extra Terrestrial (Messi)

20. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    So many people are cutting the cord for this reason and others. As the prices keep going up for programming, more channels will be disputed and the customer is the one who loses out. Go streaming and if some service doesn't have your channels, find one that does. No fees involved. Just drop the service and pick up another.