AT&T / DIRECTV reach Entertainment Studios Accord - 5 more HD likely

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mws192, Dec 28, 2015.

1. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    Justice Central and Comedy.tv already live plus:

"The deal calls for A&T’s U-Verse and DirecTV to distribute Entertainment Studios’ seven high-definition networks – Comedy.Tv, Justice Central, Recipe.TV, ES.TV, MyDestination.TV, Cars TV and Pets TV, according to AT&T officials."

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/att-reaches-carriage-deal-entertainment-studios/396178?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

2. shew

shew Cool Member

Mar 26, 2005
    pierre...
    uverse added all of them this a.m. except justice central...we been having that one for over a year now

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Sounds like Voom on Dramamine. :)

It is good to see more content coming in HD, but I was expecting to see more current channel SD upgrades than new HD only channels.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Current SD channel contract agreements may be the reason for their not being upgraded to HD and may have to be negotiated.

5. philtec

philtec Cool Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Phila PA
    Are these channels going to be on DTV?
    If so what channel numbers.

6. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    382 - Comedy.TV

383 - Justice Central

Both are live right now.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The reason (excuse?) does not change my expectation. :)
    I expected more "pre-negotiated" carriage. Contracts signed waiting for space to be available.

1 person likes this.
  8. mjd180

mjd180 Cool Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Yeah, it's not like HD or Directv being involved in HD is some recent development over the past few years. I mean they were a leader of the marketplace (MPEG4/etc.) from day one. It makes little sense to me that SD to HD conversions were not addressed in previous contract negotiations with the content providers of the channels we still don't have the HD versions of. I'm not saying it's their "fault" (or that of the individual content provider's for that matter). But, as an outsider, there sure as hell looks to have been a lot of short-sightedness/short-term thinking going on by each of the sides all these years later...

9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I agree, it is hard for me to comprehend that Directv wouldn't have wanted to address HD carriage in the contracts so they'd be able to carry it in HD when they were ready. Even if they couldn't come to an agreement enabling future HD carriage in all cases, you'd think that would be true in some of them.

10. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    We did get several channels mid-contract like MTV2 HD, Nick Jr HD and NBC Universo HD, so at least some broadcasters are doing it. On the otherhand, if the HD feed didn't even exist last time the contract was signed (i.e. American Heroes or Discovery Life) or the current parent company didn't even own the channel at the time (i.e. Pop), it could be a while.

Also pay attention to the current bandwidth allocation. Right now there's only 3 HD Cinema placeholders left on D12, with a potential for 12 more with the recently vacated D11 transponders. (Which is likely why DirecTV only picked up Comedy.TV and JusticeCentral.TV for now, while U-Verse picked up all of the ES.TV channels) The new satellites aren't just additional bandwidth like previous launches, they are providing mirroring for Puerto Rico, while D15 is also replacing existing bandwidth. In order to use them shuffling has to go on first.

Chances are they already have future carriage deals in place for even more channels, but are waiting for everything to be done with the Puerto Rican related migrations before pulling the trigger. (i.e. if they also clear out Spaceway 1 like the current trend seems to be showing with the latest migrations, they'll have 8 additional Conus transponders available from D15) If they filled every slot immediately, they wouldn't have had room for "surprise" additions as a result of lawsuit settlements (The ES.TV channels, Reelz, Ovation, Al Jazeera America), contract renewals that might have had some conditions on it (i.e. if AMC Networks pushed for immediate HD carriage of WE and Sundance as a condition of picking up BBC World News), disputes (Disney Junior, Weathernation), or new launches (SEC, TWC Sportsnet, TWC Deportes, Root Southwest, etc), as well as channels we almost got until talks broke down like Pac 12.

11. sabrewulf

sabrewulf Cool Member

Sep 4, 2011
    I agree these do sound voomish lol anyway they have another called automotive.tv that part of it to though sounds like cars.tv

12. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
  13. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I was looking foward to Justice Central but then found out all the court shows on their are scripted and have paid actors. They aren't like People's Court, Judge Mathis, Hot Bench and Judge Judy. Now the main channel I still hope for is METV and the rest of the SD channels to have their HD counterparts.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    These channels will be totally worthless after a couple months since the repeated just about everything it seems. They are worthless to me on day one. Seriously? Scripted court in the format of judge judy? How stupid can you get?

I am sure the only reason they are on is because it stopped the dang court fight. I doubt DIRECTV is paying them for these channels.

2 people like this.
  15. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I still wish they'd show C-SPAN in HD.

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    It was also a race-sensitve issue, so needless to say AT&T and DIRECTV pretty much just chose the safe course and shied away from the whole controversy by just agreeing to carry the channels.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

17. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    The channels where trying to make it one I'll grant you that. But I dont think it ever actually was. Not if you read the articles that discussed the entire thing.

18. Contra

Contra Mentor

Aug 24, 2009
    Am still waiting for Epix and the Pac-12 Network to launch on DirecTV.
    Everything else they've been launching is junk..

19. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I do t see either coming for a long long time. Pac12 till all their current deals end which evidently is a very long time away and epix I kind of doubt will ever show up.

20. Richjr42

Richjr42 New Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Both of these channels kind of suck. Comedy.TV only has two shows and the other one only has canceled "court" shows. What a waste of channel space.