AT&T / DIRECTV reach new HBO and Cinemax pact

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mws192, Aug 27, 2016.

1. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    "AT&T and HBO said tonight they have reached a multi-platform agreement to extend HBO content across AT&T platforms and have HBO and Cinemax join the upcoming DirecTV Now over-the-top streaming service, scheduled to launch later this year. Other than it being a multi-year deal, the companies said they wouldn't disclose financial terms of the agreement. HBO and Cinemax content also will be part of AT&T mobile video bundle offers, the companies said, with details on that front to come later. HBO and Cinemax channels' places on DirecTV and AT&T U-verse lineups are renewed in the pact."

http://www.multichannel.com/news/telco-tv/att-hbo-strike-multi-platform-distribution-pact/407326

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

2. thyname

thyname Member

May 9, 2015
    United States
    I have a feeling that Directv Now will blow Vue and Sling out of the water! Programming and price wise for sure, and possibly UI and device availability as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't see anything about resolutions. Will it be 1080i or 1080p? If it's 1080i I'll have little interest.

Rich

4. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I wonder when DTV Now launches that will have an all new guide and the current boxes will also get that guide?

5. thyname

thyname Member

May 9, 2015
    United States
    Who knows. It is just a guess at this point.

The Genies are long due for a change in guide, layout and UI. They look so outdated...

6. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    I bet not...My guess it will be more expensive than Vue's 100+ package ($45) but have more content. (Not what cord cutters necessarily want).... Directv/AT&T and reasonable priced just just don't go together.

2 people like this.
  7. thyname

thyname Member

May 9, 2015
    United States
    They have specifically said that Directv Now is targeted to Cord Cutters and Cord Nevers. They already have a product for the rest of people

8. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    We will see if its cheaper and rehash this later once pricing comes out. I still don't see anyway it comes out cheaper, but if it does it won't last long before price goes up. I'm waiting for Sony to start jacking their prices too. I don't expect $45 to last long on the Vue either.

9. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Will we finally get OuterMax and the rest of the HD's added?

10. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    You must watch nothing but PPV.

1 person likes this.
  11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A quick look at what you have to get from D* to get very little 4K content is a good example of their money sucking way of doing business.

Rich

1 person likes this.
  12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Never get PPV. Well, I did once just to see how it compared to a BD. Now I use an ATV4 for HBO NOW, NF and other apps and get a really good picture upscaled from 1080p to 2160p. For AP, I use the TV's Amazon app, which gives me 1080p or 2160p. That's why I asked what the resolution will be, 1080p just upscales so much better than 1080i, I think. Aside from the Yankees games and Jeopardy, I don't watch much D* content. My wife does, tho. Wasn't for that, I'd be gone from D*.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just found this on the CordCutter site. A little more detail than the first link on this thread.

Rich

14. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Out of curiosity, how does 720p scale to the 4K set?

15. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Quote below pretty much says it all what to expect in pricing. Don't see where it fits into my future cord cutter plans. If its more than $50 most will just stick with basic cable packages that run well under $50. Example my local cable IPTV ESSENTIAL Package 19SD + 6HD INCLUDES LOCAL CHANNELS $19.95, DVR fee $7.95 if wanted or 3 STB's included.

Quote: “It is a rich bundle of content; it’s not a skinny bundle of content”, said John Stankey, CEO of AT&T Entertainment Group. “In fact, Stankey’s not a big fan of the skinny bundle at all. We think skinny bundles have a very small application in the market over time.” - See more at: http://cordcuttersnews.com/new-details-directvs-new-live-tv-streaming-service/#sthash.1bX7KkYd.dpuf[/size]

16. thyname

thyname Member

May 9, 2015
    United States
    You are right. If it $50 or more, we are better off with current "traditional " providers. We need Internet anyway, and often bundles end up with low "allocation " to tv portion. Or stick with Directv satellite. Stupid greedy pigs!!

17. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    If Sony wants they can control streaming and get most cord cutters with current Vue rates. Many don't even realize whats being offered mainly because of the name (Playstation Vue) but once news spreads you don't need a PlayStation it will grow.
    My problem is I'm a football fan with no OTA service available so its not the best option until locals also stream which may never happen.
    The $20 dollar Essentials plan for local Networks on cable along with $45 Vue is still cheaper than satellite. Sad....

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not as good as 1080i, which isn't nearly as good as a 1080p feed. The closeups I see on ESPN (a 720p broadcaster) when watching the Yankee games are fine, but when they pan to the field I see a pretty poor picture. Watching the Yankees on Yes (1080i) gives me a much better picture of the field of play. I have a tendency to wait for the network shows that are in 720p to go to AP or NF. The PQ on the network 720p shows is noticeably poorer than the 1080i shows.

In short, if you're picky about PQ, the best upscaling is on 1080p content from NF or AP or HBO NOW (and any app on the ATV4). I use an ATV4 for streaming NF and HBO NOW. All things considered, the best upscaling is done when feeding the TV with a 1080p feed.

All I really care about is having a TV that has a better picture than my 1080p Panny plasmas. The Samsung JS8500 gives me that.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    No mention of pricing or resolution. I'd really like to find a solution to cord cutting that fits my needs. The equipment charges I have to pay every month for the DVRs are ridiculous.

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Because of football and the Yankees, dumping D* doesn't seem likely for me. After using VCRs and DVRs all these years I can't imagine watching anything live. I could put up an antenna, but that wouldn't get the Yes channel and I am not gonna do without the Yankees games. We do get plenty of football games on our locals.

Rich