AT&T, DirecTV to Launch New Streaming Set Top Box

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gvc, Oct 25, 2017.

1. gvc

gvc New Member

Sep 13, 2012
  2. Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    CT
    Never happen. The dishes are not going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    This is interesting.
    Copied and pasted from the article: The filing notes the new gear won't interact with DirecTV’s existing Genie hardware, and indicates cross-functionality with a new, unnamed hardware product simply called HS27.

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Would people please read that article with a critical eye and realize the author doesn't know WTF he's talking about? The name "C71KW" should be enough to tell anyone who visits dbstalk what this thing is. It is NOT an OTT streaming box, it is a client - specifically a 4K wireless client. It is a successor of the C4*/C5*/C6* clients. The HS27 is, as I hope everyone has guessed, the successor of the HS17.

The only major difference between it and previous clients is that it runs Android TV, so it can run apps. That will allow Directv to let Google deal with updating apps, and they won't have to run them on the server. Assuming other Directv C7* clients also run Android TV, I'll bet the HS27 does not support ANY apps. It will deliver satellite TV to clients, and that's it (and maybe/hopefully OTA, if the HS27 supports connecting one or more of the rumored dongles)

Rich likes this.
  5. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    Gee, only the 500th thread about this. It is a new client not a new universe

6. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    When there's an article about Directv that gets something wrong, like the article sometime last year that tried to claim Directv would be getting out of the satellite TV business, it seems to light up these forums. Too many people lack critical thinking skills, and seem to take whatever conclusions the article's author made as fact.

I guess the skepticism many have about news articles that don't agree with their preconceived political notions don't apply when the article is not politlcal...

fireponcoal likes this.
  7. MrWindows

MrWindows New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Phoenix,...
    Much more likely to be supplanting UVerse than DirecTV STBs.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Actually, i wouldn’t be surprised if it isn’t a client for the satelites side, but one for the streaming side. They mentioned building a DVR for DIRECTV now ages ago, and they could be using the same platform as the hs17, only making it streaming only and no sat. And that could be one of its clients. Time will tell.

The manual saying it won’t work with existing DVRs is why I think that could be what this is.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Paradigms come, paradigms go. So will the dishes eventually.

Rich

fireponcoal likes this.
  10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Will the 17 "work" with a 24? Real world, not what D* "allows".

Rich

11. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    This new box will apparently not have an input for an OTA antenna.
    So, let's say than I've cut the cord, and live in an urban area that receives 30+ digital channels, including the broadcast networks.
    What advantage does this box have over a Tivo OTA box?

12. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Care to make a wager on that?

Probably the reason it won't work with current DVRs is because it isn't going to be designed to run apps off the server like current clients are. The Genie 1 is a legacy product now, they aren't going to worry about supporting it with future clients when they have tons of C4* C5* and C6* clients out there for it. The HS17 is the 'HR34' of the Genie 2 line.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Why would political Spidey sense be triggered by something apolitical?

People need BS meters for more than just politics. It sounds like the article's author has made several assumptions about the product and rushed their "exclusive" report to the public without any real confirmation - or understanding of the product they were talking about.

14. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Good question. I thought I'd read somewhere that it does work (but I'm not willing to start another account to find out).

Unless there's a difference in the way they MoCa/DECA (or whatever). Maybe they simply "ignore" one another when connected to the same system.

Pretty $#!+ty of them to not allow a HR2x connection on the same account as the HS17 if there's no real "technical" reason they wouldn't get along, whether they can "see" each other or not.

15. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I don’t have an active HR24 to test, but I can say I know there are some other units I have connected just to test for a moment and they worked as well as was to be expected so.... but it wasn’t something I left in place...

16. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Again, you think they are going to build an entire new GUI for just what you have now labeled all legacy equipment that they don’t really care about anymore?

And maybe you haven’t read, but the att guy specifically said they are launching a DirecTV over the top offering. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t understand the concept of offering DIRECTV via satellite, DIRECTV ott AND DirecTV now. That’s weird. Either way, I expect a line of DVRs that will not work with satellite. But we will see. Only thing I can think of is if they want to go in and replace all the uverese customers equipment and expand the fiber over the top offerings with this IP offering.

Only other thing I can think of is if they put android tv on clients and then make you chose DIRECTV as an RVU app on client boxes... so you still use the DIRECTV GUI as well. But that’s just stupid to deintergrate and make everything confusing.

17. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    This isn't a new GUI. Just because it runs Android TV doesn't mean when you start it up it will have whatever default interface Android TV uses. It could (and I bet will) be the normal Directv interface just like any other client that derives its GUI from the server, but there will be way to enter the 'apps' menu which will take you to Android TV land where you can run run your WatchESPN app or whatever.

Tivo works similarly, it is the Tivo interface but when I want to watch something on Amazon Prime it takes me to a separate app with a total different GUI (I really wish it worked like Netflix does or at least did when I tried it long ago and download the stream onto your hard drive so you can play it using Tivo's normal trickplay - the controls in the Amazon Prime app suck donkey balls and make me use it a lot less than I otherise would!)

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    There's a very good reason from D*'s POV. They want to go all out on the head end boxes, they've gone "all in" on them it would appear. Let's get another version of the 17 out there, I think Slice I right about the 17 being the 34 of this new line. Maybe the next version...the 27?...will have less issues. The stability of the 24's software has me worried. If they don't get that fixed it's just gonna get worse.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Figures, makes me think they'll ignore the 24s.

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This 15 year experience I've had with D* has been just that, why would it change? Look at the NFL, nobody seemed to care about parody...oops...parity until the seats were empty in the stadiums and now the owners are getting worried. They get really worried and parody will go out the window and things will be normal again. Lose enough subs, they're losing them left and right, and maybe they'll get things fixed in the D* universe. I've always considered D* Now as a panic attack on D*'s part. I think they're getting terrified.

Rich