1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT&T Fiber 1000 and DirecTV

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Davenlr, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Aug 6, 2018 #1 of 14
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    They are installing AT&T Fiber in our neighborhood. From what I have been able to gather, their Fiber 1000 is $80/mo unlimited WITH a bundle. What I am trying to find out, do they consider DirecTV NOW as an option in a bundle? I do not want to get Satellite DirecTv again, due to the added costs for extra rooms, HD, etc.

2. Aug 7, 2018 #2 of 14
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've never seen a bundle for streaming services. I get the part about not wanting to go back to D* sat service. Interesting question.

Rich

3. Aug 7, 2018 #3 of 14
    CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    May not add up to anywhere near Directv costs but you would a additional streaming device for each room and I though DirecTV now limited you to number of connections (or maybe simultaneous)

4. Aug 7, 2018 #4 of 14
    CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I wonder if they could bundle that new DirecTV over IP service that is supposed to be coming out this Fall with AT&T internet and phone and maybe even AT&T wireless?

5. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
  6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Their web site says bundle with 'DIRECTV service'. Doesn't give any more details than that. To me, DIRECTV Now would qualify. But since we're talking AT&T, I can understand your concern.

Have you called and asked the question?

When I got my 1,000 mbps fiber through AT&T, it was $80/Mo first 12 months and then $90/Mo. No bundling. No data cap.

7. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    DirecTV Now limits you to 2 simultaneous streams or you can get a third for an extra $5 per month. Other services have different restrictions. As an example, PSVue includes 5 simultaneous streams.
    Ridiculous equipment charges are one of the things driving folks to the OTT services. Just my DirecTV equipment charges alone were as much as my total bill for PSVue when I originally left ($39 per month) and I already had streaming devices at every tv.

Rich likes this.
  8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    D* will nickel-dime subscribers to D* Now, just as they do for the sat subs. No doubt about that. Bet not many homes could make do with only two streams. They know that and they don't care, just another money stream.
    Rich

mjwagner likes this.
  9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You do realize Netflix does the same thing? They limit you to certain number of streams at a time based on which streaming plan you get...

10. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    My issue was not that all services are there to make money off of you but people need to understand what their costs and ability will be with their needs. A couple that only watch 1 show at a time and only use a total of 2 TV's have different needs and different costs than a family of 5 who need 4 simultaneous connections to 4 TV's.
    Just saying investigate YOUR needs first. Still maybe cheaper but may not be as cheap as it initially seems.

11. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Valid point, but most folks that have made the switch to 4k are already on the $14.99 per month NetFlix plan which gets you 4 simultaneous streams. The great thing about NetFlix is those 4 streams can be anywhere in the US, and they don’t have any issue with you sharing your subscription. My wife and I share our subscription with 2 other families (our Daughters). Since NetFlix is not a “live tv” service we find the simultaneous stream limitation to be not an issue like it could be with something like PSVue or the other “live tv” services. But I understand that it could be for some people. It really is dependent on your use case.
    My personal take on all of this is that the more choices and options consumers have in this space the better as it continues to put downward pressure on prices. In the last two years since I switched from DirecTV to PSVue my net savings is in the thousands...certainly nothing to sneeze at even though that was not the main reason we switched. Compared to the savings the cost of streaming devices is a nit.

Rich likes this.
  12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    FYI, Netflix is testing a new plan in Europe right now that they think will make it's way over here: Ultra. Premium goes from 4 streams to 2. Ultra has 4 streams and is 3€ more expensive.

13. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Certainly something to look at, if and when it ever happens.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have the most expensive plan, I think it gives me 4 streams at a time. We never do more than 3 streams. D* Now is gonna be more expensive than the sat service by the time they get thru with add-ons and I don't see a need for D* Now...or any Cable Replacement Service.

Rich