at&t Homezone Manuals

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Ray_Clum, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
  2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
  3. grooves12

grooves12 Godfather

Oct 27, 2005
    Does anyone know when this will start being ofered??? I like the looks of this box a bit better than what Dish Network is currently offering.

Is it capable of doing the Mpeg4 stuff from the satellites?

4. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Before anybody gets l excited about getting this service, keep in mind that you probably will have to reside in a AT&T (formerly SBC) RBOC area. This is the LOCAL phone company, not the long distance carrier.

5. Mikef5

Mikef5 Mentor

Apr 13, 2006
    I believe you are incorrect. SBC bought out AT&T and took over the name, ( better product recognition ) and it is more than a LOCAL company and it is the long distant carrier, just like the Ma Bell of the old days.

Laters,
    Mikef5

6. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    But in order to get this service, you need to get your local phone line and DSL from AT&T as well. If I lived one county over I would not be able to get AT&T for local phone service, since they are in the Verizon (formerly GTE) or the Alltel (fromerly Western reserve/Mid Continent) RBOC.

Since I do live in an AT&T RBOC area I see the TV commercials for their "bundled" service all the time. The fine print clearly states that the bundle may not be available in all areas.

While you may be able to get AT&T long distance everywhere, you cannot get AT&T local serivce everywhere. It's the local service that provides the DSL connection necessary for Homezone to work.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe the message is:
    You will only be able to get AT&T Home Zone in places where AT&T is your local telephone company. (Even though all local telephone companies seem to be more than simply a "local telephone company" as of late with DSL and other offerings.)

8. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    AT&T (Formerly SBC) has local phone service in parts of 11 states: Arkansas, California, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, and Wisconsin.

Chances are these are the only areas that will be elligible for Homezone.

9. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    Probably some other locations where ATT is suppling DSL even though they do not supply local phone service.

10. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    How can AT&T supply DSL w/o local phone service? DSL is delivered via the local phone company's infrastructure.

Is there such a thing as a local phone company overlay? No. Where there is competition for local phone service, the same local RBOC infrastructure is used. BTW I get my local phone service from Sage which is only available over the AT&T local areas (the same areas that offer Homezone BTW).

If AT&T is supplying DSL to other areas, it is still using the local phone company's infrastructure. AT&T is using Homezone as a part of the bundled service. If they cannot offer you local phone service, they won't offer you just Homezone. The DSL-only offerings were established before the current business model of "The New AT&T".

The small print is there for a reason. I am willing to go out on a limb by stating that Homezone is being offered only in areas where the original "Baby Bells" that made up SBC operate.

11. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
  12. HDdude24

HDdude24 AllStar

Feb 9, 2006
  13. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    And at an additional $9.99 a month, it won't grace my home... stupid.

14. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Small print from the "official Homezone" site:
    http://www.sbc.com/gen/general?pid=7910&DCMP=att_homezone
    So bottom line, we current E* customers are EXCLUDED from Homezone :p

BTW: it's available to day in San Antonio TX (where the AT&T HQ is located) and Ohio.

15. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    It appears that only the SD version is being distributed right now. A SatGuys member had called to inquire about getting it, and that's what they told him. Plus, if you check out the Quick Start Installation guide from the HomeZone page, it is for the SD version of the box.

16. jdeitchler

jdeitchler Mentor

Oct 10, 2005
    I have been demo-ing this box for about a week now. Pretty straight forward once you download all of the code via satellite. No MPEG-4 chipset. Troubles with the HDMI connection to certain televisions. More to come.

17. WI0T

WI0T Cool Member

Mar 15, 2006
    I thinkit's only in San Antonio. From Homezone's web site:

"AT&T Homezone is available only in San Antonio, TX, in San Diego, CA and the state of Ohio. Call the number in your area below to order: ...."

Which makes sense. I think this is part - or related to - their U-Verse IPTV product.

That product (U-Verse) is also only offered in the San Antonio Tx area (that I know
    of). It may be offered in San Diego Ca & Ohio (I didn't have a zip code from those
    areas to test out AT&T's check availability website).

I was hoping they would offer U-Verse in the St. Louis area, but AT&T failed to
    get the State of Mo to grant them a statewide license to sell this product. I think
    they have to go city by city now to get a license to offer this...St. Louis is
    the headquarters of Charter Cable and I'm sure Charter had a large influence
    in the Missouri Senate & House.

Rod

18. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    EchoStar, AT&T team up for Homezone service

Offering pairs Web with satellite-TV in market share battle

By Joyzelle Davis, Rocky Mountain News
    October 6, 2006

[​IMG]

EchoStar wants to be one of the first companies out of the gate in the land rush for a spot in the much-ballyhooed digital living room.

EchoStar and phone company AT&T in July launched Homezone, a service that combines satellite-TV service provided by EchoStar's Dish Network with Internet content.

The service is one of the first mass market attempts to marry Internet video, which has taken off with the popularity of sites such as YouTube, with a pay-TV service.

There's also another business strategy at play. Homezone is an attempt to plug a gap for EchoStar, whose satellite technology doesn't let subscribers access "video on demand" content that cable rivals like Comcast have used to lure customers. AT&T, meanwhile, sees Homezone as a way to reach customers in areas the telco hasn't or can't reach with its fledgling video service...

Homezone at a glance

• What is it: Homezone is a set-top box that lets EchoStar subscribers see Dish Network content as well as download movies from the Movielink service. Customers also can listen to music, share photos and schedule DVR recordings via the Internet.

• Where it's available: Ohio, San Antonio and San Diego for test launch. The service eventually will be available in other AT&T service areas, but not in Colorado.

• Cost: $9.99 a month, plus customers must subscribe to a minimum of EchoStar's America's Top 60 service at $29.99 and AT&T's Express 1.5 Mbps Internet service at $19.99 a month.

---
    ( The entire article is at the following source: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/tech/article/0,2777,DRMN_23910_5046219,00.html )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.