AT&T Internet/Wireless + Video Services Benefits (D*, U-Verse TV, AT&T TV)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by techguy88, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Mar 4, 2020 #1 of 14
    techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Mods feel free to pin/sticky this for easy reference. Here is a handy guide to the various bundling benefits with AT&T's services.

AT&T Internet
    • Combine billing required for Internet + DirecTV or U-Verse TV in order to get bundle pricing and Unlimited Data benefits
    • AT&T TV is excluded from the combine billing requirement to get bundle pricing and Unlimited Data benefit.
    • AT&T announced in 2018 they would give AT&T TV Now (formally DirecTV Now) customers unlimited data with AT&T Internet without combine billing. Not sure if this is still going on.
    • Combine billing AT&T Internet with AT&T Phone and/or AT&T Wireless (Post-Paid) will get bundle pricing benefits but not Unlimited Data Allowance benefits.
    fc9ee155b20699a9729b968f17ae1123.png

AT&T Wireless (Post-Paid)
    • Unlimited Value (Loyalty only), Unlimited Starter and Unlimited Extra currently have no bundle benefits with AT&T's video products.
    • Unlimited Elite: To redeem the HBO benefit visit this page and go to "How do I get HBO?" in the AT&T Unlimited plans FAQ.
    • Unlimited &More Premium: To select and redeem the free premium benefit visit this support page. &More Premium customers who subscribe to additional movie channels like HBO, Cinemax, Starz and/or Showtime through AT&T WatchTV will automatically have them added to their other AT&T video service (like DirecTV) at no additional cost.
    • Unlimited &More: No premiums are included at no extra cost however these customers can subscribe to HBO, Cinemax, Starz and/or Showtime through AT&T WatchTV will automatically have them added to their other AT&T video service (like DirecTV) at no additional cost.
    • Unlimited Plus, Plus Enhanced, Choice, Choice II, Choice Enhanced: Visit this page on how to redeem the included free HBO benefit.
      • Note AT&T TV Now was formally known as DirecTV Now. AT&T TV Now customers need to select the DirecTV Now button.
      • Customers with AT&T TV need to select "I don't have TV with AT&T" option since AT&T TV didn't exist at the time these plans were created.
    8ac0ec1f11e8ee30d29d35d5cd1c49c7.png
    • Switching between video services on/after November 15, 2018 (i.e. going from U-Verse TV to DirecTV, DirecTV to AT&T TV Now, etc.) will result in a loss of the Video Loyalty Credit.
    • Customers who had Choice or Plus prior to February 28, 2018 but ordered a qualifying video service on March 1, 2018 - November 14, 2018 were able to receive the $15 Video Loyalty Credit.
    • Customers on an eligible plan prior to on/before November 14, 2018 who ordered a qualifying video service on/after November 15, 2018 do not get the Video Loyalty Credit.
    • Only DirecTV or U-Verse TV subscribers on a qualified grandfathered plan with a Video Loyalty Credit can switch to Unlimited Elite only and keep their existing Video Loyalty Credit.
    • Mobility Loyalty and ISM Loyalty can still place a customer on select grandfathered Unlimited Plans (like Plus, &More or &More Premium) if needed to save a customer. However these customers are not eligible for a Video Loyalty Credit as the offer expired on November 15, 2018.
    0125d6bf9d59f83b330d1a57aac231d9.png

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    espaeth likes this.
  2. Mar 4, 2020 #2 of 14
    espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    Unlimited Elite still has WatchTV. I currently have that plan, and like others, still have access to WatchTV. In order to authenticate HBO Go you have to link it to your ATT WatchTV account, which is likely why it was never retired.

I suspect it will hang around until May if they come up with a new way to do authorization for HBO Max.

techguy88 likes this.
  3. Mar 5, 2020 #3 of 14
    techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    I never tried it out personally until today. I just followed the instructions to redeem the free HBO benefit with Elite after I migrated to it from Plus. Since HBO is available to me on D* and I use my D* credentials for HBO Go I never fooled with the WatchTV app before. However I can confirm I have access to the full WatchTV service as well.

So I asked a friend about this since AT&T doesn't advertise WatchTV being included with Elite and to his knowledge it isn't supposed to have the WatchTV service. So he looked through everything in their internal database while at work (he says I need to start paying him in beers for my questions) relating to the unlimited plans and WatchTV and found out that Elite currently includes the WatchTV service.

He explained it to me like this "Our guidance for Elite says only HBO is included and WatchTV is merely used to redeem the benefit and for credential purposes for Elite subscribers. I had to re-read carefully the page about 'WatchTV included with select unlimited plans'. This page has a bold note at the top saying 'This page supports &More/&More Premium customers only.' So naturally anyone seeing that would exclude Elite. After reading further down under there is a question 'Which plans included WatchTV?' and in regular size font it says 'Elite, &More Premium and &More.' Originally when Elite launched it was not mentioned at all on this page so this must have been a recent update. So its very easy to miss by anyone."

I also searched the AT&T subreddit and there is a thread started 21 days ago about this and another from 6 days ago with people having WatchTV with Elite so I'm guessing AT&T is becoming the Oprah of cell phone companies and is giving Elite subs free WatchTV.

I will update the tables in first post soon.

espaeth likes this.
  4. Mar 5, 2020 #4 of 14
    steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Brookfield, WI
    Question for you techguy88, I have the grandfathered Unlimited Plus plan and am currently receiving $25 off on my DirecTv bill. Am I able to switch service from DirecTv to AT&T TV Now and receive a $25 VLC on AT&T TV Now; or is the credit not transferable?

5. Mar 5, 2020 #5 of 14
    techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    You will lose the credit as the VLC is no longer offered plus the new AT&T TV Now packages are not eligible for the credit.

If you keep DirecTV you can upgrade from Unlimited Plus to Unlimited Elite and keep the $25 VLC on DirecTV.

espaeth likes this.
  6. Mar 5, 2020 #6 of 14
    techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Updated first post added a separate more detailed table about the Video Loyalty Credit, amounts and dates offered.

7. Mar 5, 2020 #7 of 14
    steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Brookfield, WI
    Thanks. This very helpful.

techguy88 likes this.
  8. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    My friend updated me on the WatchTV with Elite situation a few days ago. He said the internal guidance page was updated and it clarifies that at this time some Elite subs can access the WatchTV bundle however this could change at any time since WatchTV is not advertised as part of Unlimited Elite.

9. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Tagging @espaeth and @steve053

AT&T has retired Unlimited Elite, Extra & Starter (where each line on an account shares the same plan.) They have been replaced with their new Unlimited Your Way plans which allow for customers to mix and match the three Unlimited plans for each line. The Unlimited plans you can mix and match are Elite, Extra and Starter. Here are some important info for those who have DirecTV or U-Verse TV.
    • HBO Max Included: Requires only 1 line on the account to have AT&T Unlimited Elite. If you have an existing AT&T video product (DirecTV, U-Verse TV, AT&T TV, AT&T TV Now or AT&T WatchTV) the HBO channels will be unlocked on your respective video service at no extra cost within 72 hours after successfully redeeming your HBO Max benefit included with Elite.
    • Video Loyalty Credit (DirecTV and U-Verse TV only): You can keep the video loyalty credit you currently enjoy as long as 1 (one) line has AT&T Unlimited Elite. So if you have 4 lines on your account you can have 1 line on Elite, 1 line on Extra and 2 on Starter for example and keep your existing Video Loyalty Credit.
    • Video Loyalty Credit (AT&T TV Now only): If you have a grandfathered AT&T TV Now plan + Unlimited Choice/Choice II/Choice Enhanced/&More or Plus/Plus Enhanced/&More Premium with a Video Loyalty Credit you must stay on your grandfathered wireless plan to keep the credit. Any migration to the new Unlimited Your Way plans will result in a loss of the Video Loyalty Credit benefit.
    • HBO Free for Life (Unlimited Choice/Choice II/Choice Enhanced/Plus/Plus Enhanced): The "HBO Free for Life" benefit will expire upon migrating to any of the Unlimited Your Way plans. Must have 1 (one) line on AT&T Unlimited Elite to get HBO Max benefit.
    • WatchTV Included (Unlimited &More, &More Premium and Unlimited Elite on/before 5/26/20): Migrating to any Unlimited Your Way plan (including the new version of AT&T Unlimited Elite) will result in a loss of the WatchTV benefit.
      • With the launch of HBO Max the retired Unlimited Elite plan no longer included the WatchTV benefit for customers who activated or switched to that plan effective May 27, 2020 when HBO Max launched.
    • Get a Premium on us at no extra cost (Unlimited &More Premium): Benefit will be lost upon switching to Unlimited Your Way plans. Must have at least 1 (one) line on AT&T Unlimited Elite to get HBO Max benefit.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    steve053 and espaeth like this.
  10. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Brookfield, WI
    Thanks for the heads up! Doubled checked and my plan was called AT&T Unlimited Plus Multi Line. That's the name on the first bill from three years ago and my most recent bill from September. Nothing to date about the plan being discontinued, but I went online to see how much it was going to cost me to move to the new Unlimited Your Way plan.

I clicked the switch plan and was offered the Unlimited Your Way plan. Have five lines on my plan and I could only select the Elite and Starter plans, no option for the Extra plan. It was only a $5 difference between Elite and Starter, and was really forced to choose Elite for everyone as everyone uses their hotspot. Even with Elite across the board my bill is $30 cheaper per month, and we all have more hotspot data and access to 5G when we eventually upgrade our phones. As long as I can keep my video loyalty credit we're golden. If not, we'll see what D can do to offset that or that might be the final straw that pushes us to streaming.

If nothing else you saved me $100 this year.

Much appreciated!

11. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Your welcome friend :)

If you are only seeing the options for Elite and Starter and the price difference is $5/line between the two plans this means you are part of AT&T's Signature Program though your employer or AARP. The reason for this is AT&T Signature Customers get the AT&T Unlimited Elite plan for the same price as AT&T Unlimited Extra.

Since the Unlimited Elite & Unlimited Extra cost the same price for you AT&T has their system set up to not show you the Unlimited Extra plan to make it easier.

12. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    You will keep the Video Loyalty Credit on DirecTV as long as 1 line is always on AT&T Unlimited Elite. I did this with the old, shared Unlimited Elite plan and still have my Video Loyalty Credit. Once I get my first bill from AT&T that shows the trade-in credits for my Samsung Galaxy Note20 5G I plan on switching my other 3 lines to Unlimited Starter since they have no need for hotspots. That will save me $45/mo!

To keep HBO free on D* you now need to activate the HBO Max benefit included with AT&T Unlimited Elite.
    • Sign in to myAT&T with your ID & password
    • Either on the Account Overview or the "See what's on TV" section you should see an option that says "Start watching HBO Max" Select this.
    • It should direct you to the HBO Max sign up page
      • If not go to hbomax.com then select Sign In at the top
      • Select "Sign In Through TV or Mobile Provider"
      • Select "AT&T" as your provider not DirecTV
      • Enter your AT&T ID & Password associated with the wireless account and select "Sign In"
    • You should be brought to an account creation page.
      • If you haven't redeemed your HBO Max benefit from your old Unlimited Plus plan through DirecTV then follow the account creation flow to set up an HBO Max account.
      • If you already set up an HBO Max account through DirecTV using your old Unlimited Plus plan then follow these instructions:
        • In the email field enter the same email that is associated with your current HBO Max account
        • HBO Max will alert you they have found your existing HBO Max account
        • In the alert HBO Max will ask you if you want to link your existing HBO Max account with your AT&T Wireless credentials. Select Yes
        • Follow the flow to verify your existing account. (See HBO Max > Sign in with provider > Account Found? > Verify Email Address for more info.)
        • Now your existing HBO Max account is linked directly with your new Unlimited Elite plan.
    • Activating the HBO Max benefit with Unlimited Elite will ensure you continue getting the linear HBO channels on D* at no extra cost.
      • If you do not activate the HBO Max benefit included with Unlimited Elite within 90 days then AT&T will start sending you reminders that the free HBO will be removed from D*.

13. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm on a 4 line plan with Elite and all of the lines need the full hotspot allotment, so it doesn't look like the new plan structure is going to do much for me.

I'm surprised WatchTV has made it this far, but it's somehow still getting iOS and tvOS app updates.

14. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    Brookfield, WI
    I got to the 'Sign In' and it signed into my existing HBOMax account. Nothing additional for me to do except start watching HBO :)

Thanks again!